Choice of two lenses

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
I have been promising myself a telephoto lens to go with my Nikon D5500 for a while,the standard kit lens 70/300 has its reach disadvantages.

I've read everything about the Sigma 150/600 C and it looks a perfect match for me,why are you dithering you say ?. Well a second hand one is about £600 the other alternative I presume before the Sigma C is the Sigma 150/500 which you can pick up below £400 has anyone owned both and can convince me the C is a better lens.

A second question the teleconverter 1.4 to go with the 150/500 would it make sense,this would bring the cost near to the price of the C.

I would use either for Wildlife,maybe sporting events couple of times a month.

Thank you for your advice.

If considering a tele converter make sure it will go with the lens you choose, not every one goes with every lens

The 150-600 C is a better lens, adding a TC to the 150-500 will impact on the image quality of a lesser lens. :)

I had the Sigma 150-600 C on a Canon 6D and the Nikon 70-300 on a D750.

Incredible image quality for the price with the Sigma.

No brainer to me.

The Nikon 70-300 is soft in comparison and shorter.

Just make sure you see the actual size of a 150-600 before purchase if online.

It is quite large and the size put me off personally

Just make sure you see the actual size of a 150-600 before purchase if online.

It is quite large and the size put me off personally
It is quite heavy as well after a couple of hours walking about!

I recently spent ages trying to decide between the Tamron 100-400 and either the Tamron or Sigma 150-600. In the end, I opted for the 100-400, which weighs in just a shade over 1kg. I'm so glad I didn't opt for one the larger options. How anyone can put up with lugging that sort of weight around is beyond me.

I have owned the 150-500 and it was shocking. The image quality was terrible and adding a 1.4 TC made the images unusable. Of course I could have had a poor one. The camera I had it on was a D7000.
I did consider the 150-600 as some of the reports from contacts who had one were good but I decided against it due to the previous experience with the 150-500.
I now use a Nikon 200-500 with the D7200/D750/D500 and it is a joy to use. But as has been said above all of these lens do get heavy to carry round all day.

Hope that helps you with your decision

How anyone can put up with lugging that sort of weight around is beyond me.

If you need that reach you just put your head down and crack on;)

GC

GC
As a young man, I would have had that opinion but age makes demands you cannot argue with.

I have the sigma 150-600c with a 7d2. It’s a great combination. It is easily hand held. For me I use it for wildlife where I need the reach.

Thank you all for you advice,I knew the answer I wanted to hear,go for the 150/600c. I understand the weight problem,but to me it's not a problem.

I shall look out for a second hand one I see CameraWorld have one at £600 with a six month warranty.

As a young man, I would have had that opinion but age makes demands you cannot argue with.

Depends what you class as young? I'm 55 this year and don't have an issue tabbing with the necessary kit. Did 19km through forest and swamp around a Russian airbase less than a year ago, packing 15kg of gear.

GC

Depends what you class as young? I'm 55 this year and don't have an issue tabbing with the necessary kit. Did 19km through forest and swamp around a Russian airbase less than a year ago, packing 15kg of gear.

GC
In 20 days ;)
While it can be done and if fit easily that doesn't equal enjoyable. Some people rather be photographing than trekking :)

Some people rather be photographing than trekking :)

But you've got to get to the location(s) to get the shot(s) required:)

GC

I don't have a problem with carting a Flipside with 4/5 lenses in plus my Vanguard Alta pro over one shoulder for a day.If it means reaching somewhere so be it and I'm 65 next birthday.

GC

The weight's managable for me, but spending a day at a typical airshow, where your car's miles away and you might spend an hour shooting and 5 hours carting a camera around, it becomes a distinct annoyance. I've got 2 days coming up at RIAT and I'm tempted to carry a long lens one day and something lighter the second one - but you can bet if I do, I'll have the wrong lens on the day!

Back