Choose one photograpy book

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
No
If there is already a similar thread please just let me know.

We will have all read a ton of books on photogaphy, but probably there are only a few, maybe on that you have read that you really learned a lot from. For me the most enlightening one I can remember is Light - Science and magic, which when trying to learn about lighting was a refreshing and simple look at light, reflection, dark reflectors and stuff. It showed how you can light glass and things like that and was for me like a light coming on which helped me to understand light on a subject.

So I thought we could share and I'd ask what your books were - and if possible for a link to Amazon for it.

Here is mine - and the latest version (which I have a pdf not a hands on book)

Light - Science and Magic - Wow - £43!! That can't be right?? Don't think I would have paid that much for a book, yet it's the same one?

Light Science and Magic 4th Edition

I look forward to seeing what you all recommend.

'Approaching Photography', by Paul Hill, might help you to reflect on what you're doing in a cultural rather than a technical way.

Probably the Nikon & Nikkormat Way (Herbert Keppler) which I bought around 1979. I'd always been interested in photography when I was a kid, used various old manual cameras and did my own B & W developing, but hardly anyone that I knew had an SLR. This, sort of, got me into them and I bought my F2 just after that.

Michael Langford's Basic Photography. Quite dry and text bookish but that's because it's a text book! Mine is an old edition from the days before digital but all the same photographic principles still apply. IIRC, mine was a couple of quid from a charity shop.

Travel Photography by Steve Davey.
http://www.stevedavey.com/travelphotography.html

I like it for a number of reasons, photography has always been closely related to travel for me and it therefore strikes a chord and it also covers most types of photography. It's also a very comprehensive and accesible book that covers the basics through to more advanced stuff. It's written in a very engaging way and his enthusiasm is contageous and the photos provide great inspiration.

Building up a great list of books here everyone, thanks and keep 'em coming!

For me would be "The Art of Photography" by Bruce Barnbaum

I'd second that also. And if we're allowed to give alternatives I might suggest 'Photographs 1955-2010' by John Blakemore (Dewi Lewis Publishing), 'Aperture Magazine Anthology - The Minor White Years', 'Street Photography Now' (Thames & Hudson), and 'An English Eye' by James Ravilious.

Where to stop?

If there is already a similar thread please just let me know.

We will have all read a ton of books on photogaphy, but probably there are only a few, maybe on that you have read that you really learned a lot from. For me the most enlightening one I can remember is Light - Science and magic, which when trying to learn about lighting was a refreshing and simple look at light, reflection, dark reflectors and stuff. It showed how you can light glass and things like that and was for me like a light coming on which helped me to understand light on a subject.

So I thought we could share and I'd ask what your books were - and if possible for a link to Amazon for it.

Here is mine - and the latest version (which I have a pdf not a hands on book)

Light - Science and Magic - Wow - £43!! That can't be right?? Don't think I would have paid that much for a book, yet it's the same one?

Light Science and Magic 4th Edition

I look forward to seeing what you all recommend.

My personal favourite is the Hot Shoe Diaries by Joe McNally. Its not the sort of book you read from cover to cover, rather one you constantly dip into. My version falls into the category of "well thumbed". As an aside , I HATE "Understanding Exposure" with a passion. IMHO its the most over rated book in Photography. The man takes an entire book to say what can be said in a few paragraphs, but does so in a style and a language which could politely be described as "hippy dippy flowery" and cruelly described as total ********. The man's a pretentious fraud. The "sky brothers" told me so....

Back