Choosing a monopod for Motorsport & Football

Name
Bill
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm finding hugely conflicting information whilst trying to research this.

I'm going to be using a Nikon D750 with a 300mm f2.8 AF-S II. I'll mostly be shooting motorsports and for longer days out I could probably do with a monopod rather than handholding.

I'm finding that some people are just using a QR clamp connected directly to the monopod, others using ball heads, others using tilt heads, others using Wimberley Sidekicks etc.

I currently have this ball head: http://www.redsnapperuk.com/camera-accessories/RSH-12_Ball_head.html - Would this be sufficient when put on a monopod for my uses?

I'm also 6'1", most monopods seem to only be around 150cm?! Seems to be about 4ft 11, surely that's not right?

Any help is greatly appreciated guys, thanks!

If your 6' 1" you should be able to hand hold that no problem :thinking:
Try a black rapid strap first (y)

The main thing is that the ball head will not slip under the weight of the camera and lens. Whilst I have not used this brand, the weight loadings appear adequate for most camera/lens combinations. On a monopod, I prefer a ball head, but on a tripod I use a pan head. Different style and personal preference. Just because you are 6'1" doesn't mean that you need a 6' mono, although some long one are available. It will become unwieldy and I would use the mono kneeling or sat on a small foldable stool for comfort anyway if you have a long day. Just look at the Pros at sports events. (Before they went remote at some of the bigger events).

I use a Gitzo 2541 (now updated to the 2542). It's 160cm before you add the offset for lens mount, viewfinder etc, so it's about right for my height (the same as yours). Adding a tilt head puts another 5cm on to it and I have a homemade 30cm extension for times when I want to point upwards somewhat.

Bob

Not sure that a BR is going to help get a steadier shot.

Last edited:

I agree, I'm sure I could hand hold it for the 8-odd hour days I sometimes do, but is it really worth it? I'd rather not put the camera on the floor etc between times so having a monopod would make it so much more convenient.

Like @shreds also said, I want it for that purpose too, I'll sometimes have a TC connected, and I'd probably sometimes struggle getting 600mm shots handheld.

Also, after hearing the sound of my friends 1DX hit solid concrete last year, I'm pretty hesitant about going with Black Rapid. Especially since my D750 probably wouldn't bounce quite so well.

The main thing is that the ball head will not slip under the weight of the camera and lens. Whilst I have not used this brand, the weight loadings appear adequate for most camera/lens combinations. On a monopod, I prefer a ball head, but on a tripod I use a pan head. Different style and personal preference. Just because you are 6'1" doesn't mean that you need a 6' mono, although some long one are available. It will become unwieldy and I would use the mono kneeling or sat on a small foldable stool for comfort anyway if you have a long day. Just look at the Pros at sports events. (Before they went remote at some of the bigger events).

Makes sense, thanks!

What's convenient about a monopod, you still have to hold onto it :rolleyes: plus you have now added extra weight.
As for Black Rapid, i've walked for miles with mine and is probably the best thing i have purchased in a long time.
Put a ball head on a monopod and you have a far higher chance of seeing how well your D750 bounces :LOL:

Your eyes are about 5in from the top of your bonce, then add 6in or so for the height of a head and camera and a 150cm monopod is not far off. There are plenty taller than that and a bit of extra length is very handy for shooting overhead - birds, aircraft etc.

A lot of motorsports photographers mount the camera directly to the monopod because it's nice and solid and easy, and they tend to shoot in horizontal format without needing to point the lens up and down too much. You may need a head anyway, just to get a bit more height. I prefer ball-heads, though others like the custom monopod heads. Redsnapper RSH-12 is a very nice head and terrific value, but the ball-locking mechanism is not the strongest - fine for most things, but maybe not a 300/2.8.

Recommend a Black Rapid-type sling strap (y)

Fluid head video monopod as long as you also use a lens collar for changing orientation. Constant shooting from same spot handheld is doable but really not great

from my limited testing a ball head with a neck collar is the best solution, gives you freedom without worrying about it flopping all over the place.

and weight wise if your actually shooting alot the the monopod will take alot of the weight, and your just stopping it tipping over.

If you shoot in places where theres alot of slopes then getting a tall monopod would be a good idea

Why not just bolt the monopod straight onto the lens collar? Why have any type of head on it at all?

Paul, maybe a bit of foam pipe lagging and a cable tie/bit of insulating tape could be fitted around a ball head's "neck" to do (what I'm imagining) the job?

I use a Manfrotto 680? with a 234 RC2 QR head. Most of the time I could manage without the head, but the QR system means I can change quickly. Whilst many people say why not hand hold all day - well I could, but I've only got one back and I hope to make mine last another 40 years, and it that means losing man-points by not handholding all day so be it.

I have a Manfrotto Neotec. Extends ( quickly) to 166cm. Should be tall enough for anyone.
Allan

Take a look at these Monopods, I have had one for the past 12 years.
They have a built in quick release plate within the (almost) ball head.
I say almost as it is easier to take a look.
They also can be set up with the three legs to provide a (sort of) tripod & a very good 'sniper' style pod with just two at the head end.
Mine is the mm 5541 model, I have searched for these but they are extremely popular as I found out a while ago searching for one for a friend
and are difficult to find second hand.

Back