Choosing a printer- Canon Pixma TS6350 or TS9550?

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Having got some advice on another thread I thought I was set on the Canon Pixma TS6350 as a starter/introduction to printing but since reviewing the canon printer webpages I’ve found out about the Canon Pixma TS9550. It looks like the main difference is the TS9550 is an A3 printer whereas the TS6350 is an A4 printer. Price wise they both within a reasonable budget (TS6350 £119.99 and TS9550 £199.99) but I’m not sure if there is a difference in running costs (other than A3 prints will of course take up more ink).
I have a feeling an A3 printer would future proof me as it could printer to A3. That could be useful in the long term but I don’t think I will be printing over A4 in the short term. I think I would prefer an A3 printer as it wouldn’t be as limiting as an A4 printer. I don’t think I will often print A3 size but it good to have the option. A3 would be good if it makes printing panorama’s easier.

So the question is Canon Pixma TS6350 or TS9550? Does anyone have either of these? How did you make the decision?

Hi, Depending on how much printing you intend to do I would go for a Canon ix 6850 to get started I used Epson for many years but always had the problem of blockages at the ink delivery after a while so I bought a Canon ix 6850 A3 printer and was impressed with the prints I got, also you can remove the print head, wash it under a tap (while the wife is out). Sorry but not had either of the printers you asked about. Russ.

Hi, Depending on how much printing you intend to do I would go for a Canon ix 6850 to get started I used Epson for many years but always had the problem of blockages at the ink delivery after a while so I bought a Canon ix 6850 A3 printer and was impressed with the prints I got, also you can remove the print head, wash it under a tap (while the wife is out). Sorry but not had either of the printers you asked about. Russ.
Thanks for the reply, the canon ix6850 looks good. It doesn’t have a scanner but that’s not really an issue. I have heard about blocked print heads so that’s good it can be removed on the ix6850. The printer is mainly for home use printing but it would be great if it can double up as a photography printer too.

Thanks for the reply, the canon ix6850 looks good. It doesn’t have a scanner but that’s not really an issue. I have heard about blocked print heads so that’s good it can be removed on the ix6850. The printer is mainly for home use printing but it would be great if it can double up as a photography printer too.
For Scanner if you need one have a look at the Canon lide series, very smal and plug and play that can be had for under £50 on an auction site.

I thought I would update this thread. Ive read another TP thread that’s in a similar vein I’ve come across the Epson eco tank 2711 and 2710 printers. The ink costs look great and seems to be much cheaper than canon printers. I may not get the same print quality as the canon printers but it’s probably the more sensible option as any introduction to printing and for general home use.

My initial thoughts were to get an A3 printer and use high quality papers from the likes of fotospeed, but I’m now thinking as an introduction to printing I should be a bit more sensible and get something thats A4 size and may not give the highest quality prints, but does so at a more reasonable price.

I’m now thinking:

Printer

Epson eco tank 2711- £189 (Data sheet)- EBuyer link
Epson eco tank 2710- £156 (Data sheet)- EBuyer link

Ink

Epsom ink at about £8-9 per 65ml cartridge, and they are a four ink printer. There also seems to be a two year unlimited ink subscription for £39.99 although I’m not sure exactly how much I would use at present. Epsom seem to be nice and actually include 65ml of each of the four inks with the printer too so I may not need to buy ink for a while.

Paper

I’m thinking of also Marrutt archival Matt paper. For 50 sheets it’s £16.92 on amazon (Amazon link). That’s a lot cheaper than the fotospeed paper I was thinking of using. Marrutt also provide a free profiling service which is a nice touch just like fotospeed.

These options seem to be a sensible choice as a beginner to printing. Whilst I would love top quality prints I think I need to learn on something that’s a little more cost effective. I also need to remember it’s supposed to be a general use printer too. I don’t want to be put off by cost when trying to learn printing. I’m very likely to be wasting so much costly ink and paper whilst learning. I can always upgrade in the future if I find I do like printing and want higher quality.

Last edited:
That does look like a good buy, Rob. Thoughts based only on the specs... it's a 4-ink printer, compared with 5 (or 6) inks for the A4 Canons (ignoring the 2-ink ones). The difference from 5 inks is you only get one black, missing the pigment black. And of course, no grey. So it's possible there might be more issues for printing black and white. That's something that's often difficult unless you go for a more high end photo printer like the Canon 100 etc. It also may not bother you. I've generally managed to get reasonable black and white results from my 5-ink Canon A4, although colour casts can be a really intractable problem for some images (even starting from images from a black and white negative).

If you do buy this, I'd really appreciate some feedback on here as to how well it works for you. Good luck, Chris

According to the specs on the TS9550, the maximum print resolution is 4800 x 1200 dpi.
I have just pulled the trigger on an Canon IX 6850 A3 printer which has a resolution of 9600 x 2400 (from Box) at £125 but not convinced it’s the best option. I have an existing Epson SX435 all in one printer that produces acceptable images but on occasions the quality is debatable, although when it happens it only affects a small area. One of the main reasons for the purchase is for borderless higher quality prints, the Epson should be able to achieve them but I removed the metal rollers to stop the vertical marks across my prints. I submit printed images at my local camera club and also use it for home made birthday cards. With the Epson I have been using compatible inks which I can buy for very little cost. I’m not sure if I need the A3 capability but might be useful if my camera club entries go up a level.
I don‘t need the scanning function on the new printer as the Epson will be kept, I also have a standalone Canon scanner that has barely been used and will probably sell.

Last edited:
I bought a Canon TS8350 a few weeks ago to replace a canon mg6150 which I had for years. The prints are very good, more than good enough for a camera club. Paper wise I use Pinnacle Lustre which is half way between matt and glossy and it's a very nice finish. Highly recommend Canon printers for home use.

Just upgraded my printer to a hp envy 7134. This has to be the best photo printer I have ever owned. It has 2 trays one for a4 and one for photo paper 6x4 etc. And the best thing about it is that you can subscribe to their instant ink plan. For £1.99 a month you can print 50 pages, this can be 50 a4 photos. When you are running out of ink the printer tells hp and they send you more for nothing. ( okay£1.99 a month) there are more expensive plans. But the quality of photo is as good as boots etc. This model is giving away 5 months free ink and you can print 300 a4 full colour a month whilst the 5 months is active. Amazing.

Just upgraded my printer to a hp envy 7134. This has to be the best photo printer I have ever owned. It has 2 trays one for a4 and one for photo paper 6x4 etc. And the best thing about it is that you can subscribe to their instant ink plan. For £1.99 a month you can print 50 pages, this can be 50 a4 photos. When you are running out of ink the printer tells hp and they send you more for nothing. ( okay£1.99 a month) there are more expensive plans. But the quality of photo is as good as boots etc. This model is giving away 5 months free ink and you can print 300 a4 full colour a month whilst the 5 months is active. Amazing.

I was under the impression all the ink subscription services offered by printer manufacturers were based on the standard 5% coverage, is this not the case with yours?

Mine gets charged per page regardless of size. Says so on their website. Even says you can do full a4 colour and its counted as one page.

If it is likely that you will want to print the occasional A3 print at some point then that imo solves your dilema….I wouldn't hesitate in going for an A3 printe to start with and thus save having to upgrade at a later date.

Unable to comment personally on the models that you mention as I have a Canon Pro 100S but that will well exceed the budget that you mention.

On the other hand if you wish for a cheap printer for A4 sized prints then the Pixma ip7250 is perfect.
I have one and although it is now used pretty much for document printing , it will throw out a darned good A4 photograph print…..On a par with the Pro 100S tbh.
Given that it retails at about a 6th of the price, it's a very good deal

Thanks for all the replies. So far I’ve not purchased a printer. I’ve gone back and forth so much thinking which printer to go with that I’ve not decided on one! I’m still not sure whether to go with an A4 or A3. I’m off to the photography show in March so I may wait until then and have a look at what’s around. The Epson eco tank printers look like a good buy when consider ‘all life costs’ but it’s the unknown element regarding print quality that’s stopping me pulling the trigger (it seems to be to good to be true).

The link doesn’t work for me. I get the TP cookie warning, then it goes to a blank black Amazon page.

Back