Choosing a tripod

Edit My Images
No
I dont have a tripod and now I want need one!! I have a canon eos400d..

my budget is about £50 ish......

Any ideas?

iIagree, you need to spend good money on a tripod, Ive got a manfrotto and a great gead paid about 180ish for mine but worth every penny and its sturdy and can hold plenty of weight. The bad side is it weighs about 3kg with head. I cant even remember which one I got, I think its the 055XDB and head 808CR4. REALLY HAPPY WITH THEM BOTH SO REMEMBER ONCE YOU GOT IT ITS A GOOD INVESTMENT. I NEVER HARDLY TAKE A PHOTO WITH OUT IT.

I hear what your saying and it makes sense.....I did try and get a 2nd hand one on ebay but never won!!

This is going to be an expensive hobby!

This is going to be an expensive hobby!

You mean you've only just found that out ???

And as said above, get the best you can afford. I have a £60 lightweight Manfotto which has 4 section legs, so it's quite small, plus a very old Slik which weighs a ton, but is excellent.

Steve

You mean you've only just found that out ???

And as said above, get the best you can afford. I have a £60 lightweight Manfotto which has 4 section legs, so it's quite small, plus a very old Slik which weighs a ton, but is excellent.

Steve

Mmm....thought the camera alone was enough!! Now I find out a tripod and speedlight is a minimum to get started...oh well!!

Mmm....thought the camera alone was enough!! Now I find out a tripod and speedlight is a minimum to get started...oh well!!

DON'T WORRY, AFTER THE TRIPOD AND FLASH COMES MORE GLASS AND ALL THE CASES AND FILTER, MONOPOD ETC ETC ETC ETC:rules:

I know....

I'll never be rich:eek:

off to take a peep squitty.....

(squitty? :cautious:)

Yep,i Id agree with all the above comments...get the best you can(or can't)afford. I initially bought a jessops TP323(still have it)for £40-ish, and although it's okay, it isn't a patch on my 190XPROB and 804RC2 head.

oh, and yes..this photography malarkey is damned expensive :rules:

Yep, I'd agree with all the above comments...get the best you can(or can't)afford. I initially bought a jessops TP323(still have it)for £40-ish, and although it's okay, it isn't a patch on my 190XPROB and 804RC2 head.

oh,and yes..this photography malarkey is damned expensive :rules:

I agree with stantheman. I have same tripod and head as him and find it was well worth the money. I've relegated my Velbon to the back of the cupboard.

I agree with stantheman. I have same tripod and head as him and find it was well worth the money. I've relegated my Velbon to the back of the cupboard.

Hi barbara, did you get your monopod yet?

(spoilt mode on) I opted for the manfrotto 680B and 234RC head, and it was delivered to me last friday :woot:nice bit of kit. Also got the rubber/spiked feet for the 190 too...(spoilt mode off) (y)

If you aren't sure how much you need a good tripod, go to Tesco and spend £10 on one. Then go and get a Manfrotto or similar.

Seriously, if you're starting out and cash is an issue, buy the Tesco one and just get out there taking photos. When I started, I used a monopod since I was more likely to use it at first (worried about people looking at me - now I don't care!).

By the way, what is a "peep squitty"?

If you aren't sure how much you need a good tripod, go to Tesco and spend £10 on one. Then go and get a Manfrotto or similar.

Seriously, if you're starting out and cash is an issue, buy the Tesco one and just get out there taking photos. When I started, I used a monopod since I was more likely to use it at first (worried about people looking at me - now I don't care!).

By the way, what is a "peep squitty"?

I think I have read every blimmin thread there is about tripods etc and its a minefield!! I am going to go a try a few out I think.....:) I also tried a monopod at the weekend and the resulting picture was much better. I'm going to get a monopod too....

Hopefully work will make a mistake this month and pay me double:LOL:

"peep squitty" meaning take a "looksie" at his link and..well...I did wonder why he/she chose "squitty" for a username...not a nice mental image IYKWIM;)

Bare in mind that if you spend £50 now on a tripod you WILL in the near future spend another £150 on the tripod + head you lusted after initially, therefore the cost of the tripod you end up with is actually £150 + £50 - whatever you manage to sell the original for (probably £10).

I would reccomend saving a bit more money and getting the one you really want now (e.g. Manfrotto 190 or 055 plus head) it IS cheaper in the long run.

Hi barbara, did you get your monopod yet?

(spoilt mode on) I opted for the manfrotto 680B and 234RC head, and it was delivered to me last friday :woot:nice bit of kit. Also got the rubber/spiked feet for the 190 too...(spoilt mode off) (y)

Yes it arrived OK. I haven't really tried it much yet. It's very light which is a bonus and identical to my normal walking pole except for the screw head for the camera or tripod head. The only thing I didn't like was the rounded wooden knob which seems a bit clumsy I think a small flat screw on fitting to the top would have been better. However as I usually carry 2 poles up mountains it means I can take my normal pole and my monopod. I think though that if it was only used for photography and no long distance walking the Manfrotto would be better.

Enjoy your monopod(y)

Well after all that searching and reading up I have bought a 2nd hand slik for a tenner so I'm happy!! Bit scratched and worn but great for a beginner

Back