Choosing between two different Olympus bodies

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I was thinking of going to Olympus for Macros because of the focus stacking built in.
I am not sure which of these two
Olympus OM-D E-M1 (£295 second hand)
or
OM-D E-M5 MK II Body Black (£419 new) to get.
Any thoughts?

Both are great cameras and difficult to recommend one over the other. Ergonomics are different and this can make a difference, and the EM5-II has a variety angle screen vs the tilt only of the EM1.

Thank you, I find Olympus (like other camera companies) naming conventions complicated.

Functionality wise those two are essentially the same camera (apart from upgraded video specs on the EM5 II & different bodies) so which you pick is up to what you like. Be aware that the EM1 does have more buttons so more features are accessible without menu diving.

Personally I much prefer the ergonomics of the EM1...in fact I used to have both, I now only have the EM1.

Thank you, I find Olympus (like other camera companies) naming conventions complicated.
Olympus essentially have two interchangeable lens systems, the OMD range and the Pen range. In the OMD range you have the EM10, EM5 and EM1, for which we are now on either the 2nd or 3rd incarnation of each.

I'm a big fan of the Olympus OMD System, great IQ with a relatively small package. Some find Olympus more confusing to use than other makes, but I don't. Each have their own menus that you have to learn and I don't generally find one easier or harder than the other. If anything Sony menus are the most baffling to me.

I'm with Andy, I prefer the ergonomics of the EM1 over the EM5. I've gone EM10 > EM5-II > EM1 > EM1-II.

The EM1 was their flagship up until the Em1 mkII turned up [and now the EM1X] - the Em5 sat below this, though the mkii did bring some more up to date features and is better in some ways. It has the newer IBIS system for one, touch screen - that is 'fully articulating' and features like high res mode. The EM1 hase a better hybrid focus system that includes phase detection, it's also a bit faster. But besides that and better ergonomics, I think the em5ii is the better all-rounder.

Olympus essentially have two interchangeable lens systems, the OMD range and the Pen range. In the OMD range you have the EM10, EM5 and EM1, for which we are now on either the 2nd or 3rd incarnation of each.

I'm a big fan of the Olympus OMD System, great IQ with a relatively small package. Some find Olympus more confusing to use than other makes, but I don't. Each have their own menus that you have to learn and I don't generally find one easier or harder than the other. If anything Sony menus are the most baffling to me.

I'm with Andy, I prefer the ergonomics of the EM1 over the EM5. I've gone EM10 > EM5-II > EM1 > EM1-II.
What is the difference between EM1 and EM5 is one entry and one pro?
Why don't Olympus explain this somewhere (I did search for it). (Of course other camera companies are the same).

Why don't Olympus explain this somewhere (I did search for it). (Of course other camera companies are the same).

Look at Nikon, they never really explain their D3***, D5***, D7***, D6**, D7**, D8** series! their line up is way more complex, Canon's even worse I think! With Olympus it's pretty simple, the em10 line - prosumer, em5 - mid-range, enthusiast, em1 - pro spec. But .. because of advances in tech the later em5 mkii has features that perhaps weren't possible at the time of release of the em1 original.

Look at Nikon, they never really explain their D3***, D5***, D7***, D6**, D7**, D8** series! their line up is way more complex, Canon's even worse I think! With Olympus it's pretty simple, the em10 line - prosumer, em5 - mid-range, enthusiast, em1 - pro spec. But .. because of advances in tech the later em5 mkii has features that perhaps weren't possible at the time of release of the em1 original.
Thanks for that - I agree with Canon and Nikon are quite complicated.

EM1 was their Flagship camera until the new EM1x came out. But yes the EM1 is your 'pro' body, EM5 the 'enthusiast' body and EM10 the 'entry level' body. In reality the difference between the EM1 and EM5 isn't huge, it's the shape of the body and extra buttons, plus a better AF system.

See my post, on a day to day basis there really isn't much to pick between them for stills (specs wise).

Although only one (EM5) has the high res mode I think.

Yes. Which is nice at times but don't rely on it for being too useful. It only really works with higher spec lenses and even then conditions have to be perfect.

I have an E-M5ii which I chose in preference to the EM1. Partly because I love the slightly more retro style and feel but also just because I wanted the most compact option. There isn't much to choose between them spec wise. I agree that the ergonomics of the EM1 are quite a bit better. The E-M5ii can be improved a lot with the addtional hand grip, but if you always use that you're probably better with the EM1 in the first place. The bigger question here might be new (with warranty) vs old. Though you could level the playing field by also looking at used E-M5ii's which also sit around £300 these days.

Does the EM5 have focus stacking? I thought that was just the EM1 but might be getting confused.

Edit - it does with v4 firmware update.

Last edited:
Although only one (EM5) has the high res mode I think.
Both the EM5-II and the EM1-II have it, although it's only for static subjects and needs to be on a tripod. The EM1x also has it, and can be used handheld.

Both the EM5-II and the EM1-II have it, although it's only for static subjects and needs to be on a tripod. The EM1x also has it, and can be used handheld.
I was thinking of the EM-1 due to budget constraints not the EM1-11 sadly

The E-M5ii has stacking and bracketing but as with most things Olympus, it's never quite as simple as that. When people including myself moan about Olympus menus, it's usually idiosyncrasies like this.

Have a read of this:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4296468

Stacking and bracketing work totally independently though you would probably expect them to work together. So if you choose a certain number of frames and spacing to bracket, that will be totally ignored when you come to stack. Stacking uses only a handful of frames and outputs a jpegs. Bracketing outputs as many raw files as you like to stack in post. Curiously, bracketing works with any AF lens, stacking only works with certain models. Can't see why but does explain why it was greyed out for so long on me!

Last edited:
Back