choosing lenses for 450d

Name
joel
Edit My Images
Yes
is there anywhere which details the equivalent focal lengths for a 450d?

i ask as im stuck as to which lenses would be suitable for nature photography. if say i wanted a zoom lens with a 28-105mm 35mm equivalent, what size would give this?

also, whats a good size of prime focus lens would be good for short to medium range photography, such as portraits?

thanks,

joel

The factor for coversion is 1.6
so a 35mm lens at 100mm would be the equivalent of 160mm on a canon cropped body.

Nature, 300mm is grand
Portraits, 50mm for head & shoulders or 35mm for full body

thanks thats just what i was looking for :) (i assume the examples you gave are the 450d equivalent lengths?)

i was thinking of a telephoto of around 100-300mm and a lower zoom like above for wide angle shooting at the lower end. however, the ones ive seen so far are quite slow (for instance the canon ef-s 18-55mm is f5.6 at the upper end). i could understand that on the larger lens, but that seems awfully slow for a 55mm equivalent.

are there any lenses that would be quicker at these ranges for a maximum budget of around £400-500 for the two?

Well, there's always the Canon 50mm f1.8 prime lens, which you should be able to get for around the £70 mark brand new (I paid £65 for mine a couple of months ago from Amazon). It's very cheaply built, but the optical quality is amazing for something so cheap. At anything other than wide open, it's a very sharp lens indeed.

what do you think of 3rd part lenses which fit? ive seen a few bundles which come with tamrons for instance. how do these hold up against the canons on the 450d?

I think you have to compare apples with apples. e.g. theres a sigma zoom thats about £100/120. Compared to (say) a canon 70-300 (about £350) the sigma loses, but theres the DO (I think?) version of the sigma thats £300+.. comparing that to the 70-300 would be a far more interesting experiment.

Dare I say it more £££ = better lens, but as with all rules there are exceptions! - case in point the canon 50mm prime is cheap and good.

I don't think you'd get close enough to nature (birds etc) with the 50mm prime (but it is a good lens), you're going to need a telephoto or some sort.. the question should be what you can get for your budget ? a 100-400L would be great, but have you got £950 spare ?
I'd consider the following:
Canon 55-250 (£180ish)
Canon 70-300 (£350ish)
Sigma 70-300 DO APG (£350ish)
Then you're into L lenses, like the 70-200 f4 and f2.8, IS and non IS versions, (somewhere around £450 - £850), there is probably a tamron that could be included too...

Back