Critique ChrisR's POTY14 entries for comment, please

Anyone else noticing a common theme here ;)

If you're trying to produce a picture with a chance of doing well in a competition and with a wow factor, one thing you will have to do is plan and take your time getting the shot, no "making do". Quickly snapped stuff on the off chance, as you have been finding, rarely produces pictures that do well. (so maybe ditch the crowds and go out on your own with a purpose in mind)

Please dont think I'm having a go at you, I'm not. You have my respect for entering a competition, something I've not yet done, on TP anyway.

Keith - frankly I think you've hit the nail on the head... I know when I was shooting for the "real" POTY rather than "just" the staff version taking a single submission would pretty much occupy all my shooting time in a given month. And, sacriledge as it is to admit it, there's pretty much no way I could have managed to have shot on film purely on the extra time involved in processing and scanning. I shot the occasional month on film - notably one month where the theme was cross-processing, where I was one of maybe 5 entries out of 50+ that were actual cross processed film as opposed to just digital fiddling. I think I shot something like a dozen rolls of film for that month, 4 types of C41 film in E6 3 types of E6 in C41 chemicals - cost me a blood fortune in film and chemicals but was something I'd wanted to learn how to do for years so it was worth spending the entire month on it. But doing that is why I've nothing but admiration for the people who are entering month in - month out on film.

Round 6, June: Zoo, wildlife, pet OR Wild and free
Title: Iguana, on the wall
Camera: Pentax MX, Tamron 85-210 zoom, Portra 160

image.png

No judge points, two comments

My thoughts: the plan, such as it was, was to get some butterfly shots at Stratford Butterfly Farm. This turned out to be much, much harder than I had expected; the butterflies that were stationery enough to frame and focus on were usually wings-folded, and mostly down underneath the vegetation, and I could not get any satisfactory frames. This iguana was roaming around, again mostly under the vegetation, but then he climbed up and paused, with the monstera leaf behind. He was only there for a few seconds, enough to check exposure, attempt to focus and try to frame. Just the one shot and as I tried to get a better frame he was over the wall and disappeared. Unfortunately I didn't have another opportunity, other than a bunch of local goats (!), but looking at @Andysnap's shot, for example, that again was a failure of imagination.

I'm not much of a "wildlife" photographer, so I know I'd have struggled with this one - given the circumstances in your description, and shooting with a manual focus rig I think you did pretty damned well to get the eye as close to being as in-focus as you did - especially as from the narrow looking DoF i'm assuming you were shooting wide-open. It's kind of a shame that both the Iguana and the plant behind it are looking a little "worse for wear" but, sometimes you do have to just shoot what you've got.

Round 7, July: Holiday or Product Shot
Title: Struggling back from the boating holiday
Pentax MX, 28mm, Velvia 50!

image.png

No judges' points, one comment:

My thoughts: comments are fair enough. I suspect I was using my charity shop Colkin grads, not perhaps the wisest thing with a wider lens, and you can see the colour cast. The Velvia is just smashing (one of only two rolls I've ever shot), but the composition looks a bit of a desperate grab... and it was.

This was the roll that I put a thread about the scanning and colour shifts.

There were other shots on that roll that were also OK, I thought the one above fitted with the theme best. I did haver over this one for quite a while. I think what turned me against it was the person in the red shirt hidden behind the person in the slightly more orange shirt!

Well - you definitely went for the correct shot this time IMO - I like the first one, my only slight niggle would be the pink caste to the clouds - as you've said "Cokin Pink" - i've got a set from years back (when they were pretty much the only game in town) and I found them pretty unusable on colour even then - if anything they're even worse on digital btw... Personally when I'm shooting around water, I try wherever possible to have a polarising filter with me - I know there are issues with polarisers on UWA lenses - mine's pretty bad on the 17-40L up to around 25mm or so... But, the combination of Velvia, Blue Skies and Water with a polarising filter is just amazing...

The second one DOES have more of the colours that you'd expect from Velvia... If i'd have been part of the party of people I'd have been really cheeky and asked the person in the purple top to have swapped places with the one in orange for 30 seconds just for the photo. My friends are used to me doing that sort of thing though... to the extent that we've been known to make sure we're not all wearing the same colour tops for the days walking over breakfast, and that I actually only buy my walking kit from "a restricted colour pallette" of black,grey, white or red... Though that is also partly because i'm colourblind, and I actually completely avoid buying ANY clothing in green as otherwise i'll wear it with stuff that's mainly red and not realise that I look like a court jester!

Round 8, August: Summer landscapes/Holidays/Travel
Title: Some landscapes look bleak even in summer: Castle Stalker
Pentax MX, 85mm f/2, Portra 160

image.png

No judges' points, no comments.

My thoughts: I had a fair number of "nice enough" shots, but nothing I could find that really sparkled. Among the candidates was the alternative one in the previous post. I thought this one had some potential. On the other hand, we just turned up in the middle of the afternoon, went to a couple of view points, wandered about, took some shots, and left. I can pretty much hear DorsetDude telling me I should have returned at a time with better light, taking account of tide etc, and found a location down by the shore. Which is what I would very much have liked to do... but force majeure, could not!

OOOh - Castle Stalker. Well - it's a classic view of it, and you've got the criticism of it yourself... Better light, better tide conditions, and a shoreline composition could have worked well. Strangely enough, I've actually got something shot on film myself which could illustrate this...

Boat and Castle
by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Not perfect by any means - might have to find the negatives again and work on the castle a little to get some detail back into the stonework - think that this was just after I bought the Canoscan 8800 and was still just getting to grips with the software (i.e. it was on autopilot...)

Last edited:
Anyone else noticing a common theme here ;)

If you're trying to produce a picture with a chance of doing well in a competition and with a wow factor, one thing you will have to do is plan and take your time getting the shot, no "making do". Quickly snapped stuff on the off chance, as you have been finding, rarely produces pictures that do well. (so maybe ditch the crowds and go out on your own with a purpose in mind)

Please dont think I'm having a go at you, I'm not. You have my respect for entering a competition, something I've not yet done, on TP anyway.

Thanks Keith, I certainly don't think you're having a go, and you're quite right. However, I have to make do with the opportunities that I have. Sadly, there's no way of going to the West Coast of Scotland on my own, the way things are, or even out on my own for a day whilst there. So I'm trying to use the competitions as a learning opportunity (hence this critique thread), trying to do as well as I can with what I've got. I should say, by the way, that I do spend quite a lot of time trying for some of these shots; the ones I haven't showed are even worse! :eek:

Not sure I ever want to be one of those landscape photographers that's up at 3 in the morning and driving a hundred miles several days for a week to "get the shot", though!

I'm not much of a "wildlife" photographer, so I know I'd have struggled with this one - given the circumstances in your description, and shooting with a manual focus rig I think you did pretty damned well to get the eye as close to being as in-focus as you did - especially as from the narrow looking DoF i'm assuming you were shooting wide-open. It's kind of a shame that both the Iguana and the plant behind it are looking a little "worse for wear" but, sometimes you do have to just shoot what you've got.

Thanks Mark. I can't remember the aperture, but I'm guessing it must have been pretty wide to get a reasonable shutter speed. That's a heavy lens, so I had the camera on a monopod, which was great, but for that shot meant leaning back with the monopod at an angle before focus and shoot; I doubt I had time to adjust the exposure! It was the black MX though, which has a lovely focus screen without the usual split/microprism area, makes focusing a treat.

Well - you definitely went for the correct shot this time IMO - I like the first one, my only slight niggle would be the pink caste to the clouds - as you've said "Cokin Pink" - i've got a set from years back (when they were pretty much the only game in town) and I found them pretty unusable on colour even then - if anything they're even worse on digital btw... Personally when I'm shooting around water, I try wherever possible to have a polarising filter with me - I know there are issues with polarisers on UWA lenses - mine's pretty bad on the 17-40L up to around 25mm or so... But, the combination of Velvia, Blue Skies and Water with a polarising filter is just amazing...

Thanks again, Mark. That whole roll of Velvia was an experiment; I'd had it around for a year or so, and West Coast Scotland seemed like the right opportunity. I've not used the grad filters much, so that was all part of the experiment. I thought some of th results were pretty nice, though I did have scanning problems; in fact I scanned this roll twice myself, and also sent it to Photo Express and then to UK Film Lab to be scanned. See the thread here.

Polarising filters add contrast and saturation, don't they? Add that to Velvia 50... Kaboom!

The second one DOES have more of the colours that you'd expect from Velvia... If i'd have been part of the party of people I'd have been really cheeky and asked the person in the purple top to have swapped places with the one in orange for 30 seconds just for the photo. My friends are used to me doing that sort of thing though... to the extent that we've been known to make sure we're not all wearing the same colour tops for the days walking over breakfast, and that I actually only buy my walking kit from "a restricted colour pallette" of black,grey, white or red... Though that is also partly because i'm colourblind, and I actually completely avoid buying ANY clothing in green as otherwise i'll wear it with stuff that's mainly red and not realise that I look like a court jester!

These folk were just a random party of strangers. I'd walked past them, then stopped and thought they would make colourful foreground interest to my shot, went back and asked. They agreed, but I didn't think I could do anything much at all in the way of posing, let alone swapping places! However, I could probably have improved the shot by moving a pace or so to the right; I need to look out more for things like that. Two shots, then I had to run to catch up with SWMBO!

OOOh - Castle Stalker. Well - it's a classic view of it, and you've got the criticism of it yourself... Better light, better tide conditions, and a shoreline composition could have worked well. Strangely enough, I've actually got something shot on film myself which could illustrate this...

Boat and Castle
by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Not perfect by any means - might have to find the negatives again and work on the castle a little to get some detail back into the stonework - think that this was just after I bought the Canoscan 8800 and was still just getting to grips with the software (i.e. it was on autopilot...)

That's interesting Mark, and a very nice photo. It does maybe also illustrate some of the problems when you do try to find another view, as the elevated view obviously shows the castle on its island a bit more, which I was very taken with. But I would really have liked to have the time to explore more.

I've just had a look in the folder for that month, and there were a few more shots I'd marked as candidates that I thought I might put up here, to see if anyone thinks I should have gone for one, based on the theme summer landscape/holiday/travel...

1) Portra 160, West Coast

2) Reala 100 shot at 64, Yellowcraigs

3) Portra 160 shot at 80, Hatton Stair

top one is lovely, i might of been tempted to crop the bottom off to get rid of the messy scrubland there and start the frame from the tyres. Also put a slight grad on the sky maybe? not sure what processing was allowed for that month. But is a nicely composed shot.

The canal boat pic seems to have 2 good images fighting against each other. Top right quarter with the people on the lock makes a good image, as does the bottom left quarter of the frame with the lady on the boat, but together the viewers eye isnt sure what to focus on.

Not sure about the middle image. There is either a bit of cloud going over the lighthouse or its just out of focus and, as for the first image, there is a bit of a messy foreground that isnt adding much. For a scenic shot, the top image beats it i think.

My money would go with either a cropped top image or an image concentrating on just the people on the lock and the boat going through it in the last.

As far a holiday/Travel goes the lady on the barge would have been fantastic if you could have isolated her and her boat. As it is its just a little busy. Not sure about the castle, it seems a little lost in the overall composition.

Thanks Ashley and Steven. I might have gone with a crop as you suggested if I'd been working on it for submission. I've just checked, and it was NOT a "no PP" month, so the "reasonable PP" rules applied; could certainly have cropped as you suggest. As mentioned above, when I did the 52, advice on crops was the greatest benefit to me, and now I always think about that aspect.

Both of you have raised the issues with the canal shot. This probably stems from my intention which was to get a real sense of activity, so I thought one boat leaving and one entering a lock was a good idea. But somehow it never worked, and you've given me a much better idea why. Thanks again.

Month 9, September, Anything goes
Title: Still Life with Knife
Pentax MX with winder, Tamron 70-210 semi-macro zoom, Portra 160, 4 or 5 shots focus stacked with Helicon Focus

image.png

Judge's points: 28, position: 12th, competition points: 5

Two judge comments:
Comment A = beautifully sharp and there has been some real skill shown here in the focus stacking. However, the subject and composition are both dull. The viewpoint and arrangement of items are pedestrian and do not offer a single focal point; I feel that the knife should be the dominant part of the frame but because everything is so pin sharp, my eye is pulled around rather than settling. I wonder if the subject lends itself to the technique? Possibly a better arrangement of items and a more creative camera angle might have helped. The fact that parts of the subject(s) have been cropped out of the frame is also problematic; I can't see a reason for losing them so am inclined to think it wasn't given much thought.

Comment C = Vivid colours, sharp front to back but doesn't quite work for me overall. Maybe using the same items but taken from a different angle, perhaps down at table level using a shallow DoF?

My thoughts: I did have a clear idea that I wanted a still life with wide depth of field, colours and textures. I had been successful with focus stacking the previous year, so I thought it worth trying again. I made 2 compositions with decorative objects, and 4 with vegetables and pots, gradually tightening the compositions until the one submitted. One problem was that the table I was using was a bit small, and the edge of the table appeared top right in most of the frames, so that bit had to be cloned in. That went well, although I didn't notice until later that the focus stacking had introduced an artefact in the table slats bottom left.

The idea of the image was vegetables gathered for cooking. Some compositions included a fly that was intended to symbolise decay, but it didn't really work. I didn't notice until after submission that there was a whole heap of Freudian symbolism in the image; I don't think the judges spotted that, either!

By the way, for me, the knife IS dominant. Amongst all those colours and textures this sharp, cool steel blade pointing towards the viewer.

I don't think this composition would have worked at table level, unless perhaps a specially constructed table as @TheBigYin has told us about.

Finally: shallow depth of field as a compositional device... it can be brilliant, specially when there really is a narrow part of the frame that the viewer's eye is to be drawn to. But if this had been a painting, that device would not have been available, and other compositional approaches are needed. I think in this case those other compositional approaches are right, even if I may not have used them all that well.

I realise this is a slightly belligerent response; I should say, thanks to the judges for the points and the comments, and I was absolutely delighted to get off the starting grid this month!

I realise this is a slightly belligerent response; I should say, thanks to the judges for the points and the comments, and I was absolutely delighted to get off the starting grid this month!

tbh sometimes I think its quite cathartic to get this off ones chest belligerent or not, especially when a lot of work is dismissed as dull. It is the one thing that irked last year was quiet clever shots were passed over in favour of Flickr bait.

Its a good shot given that month was brutal there was so much great stuff getting points is a real achievement. My only technical observation is the knife is a bit too bright and has ended up lacking detail which is a bit distracting given the colours of the rest of the image. I like the composition but I'm not really sure why which I realise isn't very helpful...

I've just had a look in the folder for that month, and there were a few more shots I'd marked as candidates that I thought I might put up here, to see if anyone thinks I should have gone for one, based on the theme summer landscape/holiday/travel...

1) Portra 160, West Coast

2) Reala 100 shot at 64, Yellowcraigs

3) Portra 160 shot at 80, Hatton Stair

I like the first one, though i'd have been sorely tempted to have done a little "on site weeding" - i.e. pull up/cut back the "dock leaves seed spikes" and stick the cuttings out of frame (daft as it sounds, I generally carry one of those "charity clothes collection" sealed plastic bags in my camera kit - they're handy for something to kneel/lie on on damp ground, and can come in handy where a composition is okay, but needs a few bits of rubbish picking up and removing, or weeds pulling up... you can always bin it somewhere later in the walk - call it doing your bit to keep gods golfball looking nice and tidy. Even then i'd probably have cropped some of the bottom of the image, crop line going between the dark weeds and the brighter green weeds on rhs of frame. With the dock leaf spikes out of the picture as well, that'd have worked pretty well for me.

Second one, I pretty much like as it is... if only it'd been sharp and in focus it'd have been a winner.

Third one has some great subjects, but they're tearing the picture apart... both of them are moving out of frame in the opposite direction and it just visually splits the image and you don't know which direction to look. Personally I'd have concentrated on the LH boat, purely because of the happy smile and contented look on the face of the woman steering the boat.

Month 9, September, Anything goes
Title: Still Life with Knife
Pentax MX with winder, Tamron 70-210 semi-macro zoom, Portra 160, 4 or 5 shots focus stacked with Helicon Focus

image.png

Judge's points: 28, position: 12th, competition points: 5

Two judge comments:

My thoughts: I did have a clear idea that I wanted a still life with wide depth of field, colours and textures. I had been successful with focus stacking the previous year, so I thought it worth trying again. I made 2 compositions with decorative objects, and 4 with vegetables and pots, gradually tightening the compositions until the one submitted. One problem was that the table I was using was a bit small, and the edge of the table appeared top right in most of the frames, so that bit had to be cloned in. That went well, although I didn't notice until later that the focus stacking had introduced an artefact in the table slats bottom left.

The idea of the image was vegetables gathered for cooking. Some compositions included a fly that was intended to symbolise decay, but it didn't really work. I didn't notice until after submission that there was a whole heap of Freudian symbolism in the image; I don't think the judges spotted that, either!

By the way, for me, the knife IS dominant. Amongst all those colours and textures this sharp, cool steel blade pointing towards the viewer.

I don't think this composition would have worked at table level, unless perhaps a specially constructed table as @TheBigYin has told us about.

Finally: shallow depth of field as a compositional device... it can be brilliant, specially when there really is a narrow part of the frame that the viewer's eye is to be drawn to. But if this had been a painting, that device would not have been available, and other compositional approaches are needed. I think in this case those other compositional approaches are right, even if I may not have used them all that well.

Ah, a "still life"...

First of all, well done for having a go at it - it's one of the simplest looking kinds of photography, but in its own way it can be immensely challenging - for the very reason that YOU are MAKING the picture, so you've got total and utter control over every aspect of the shot.

I like the approach you had of taking a collection of items and arranging then re-arranging and re-arranging until you got the composition you wanted. I also like the fact that you went for an approach of keeping everything in focus - IMO while using a reduced DOF to pick out specific items is a valid technique, with something like this I actually WANT to see the whole thing.

As it's half "still life" half "food porn" shot, it also gets me, as a pretty keen cook myself, wondering about "the recipe"... initially I thought "ratatouille",then thought "nope, no aubergines or peppers, and sage instead of basil"... "ok then, it's "Courgette and Squash soup... Hmm... Maybe... Or "Stuffed Butternut Squash with Courgette and Tomato's... Yeah - now that'd definitely work."

Which, brings me to the things I'm not sure DO work with the shot...

This, I'll admit, is a purely personal thing, but with still life images, I think that everything that is in the shot HAS to have a reason to be there... in this case, the reason is "the recipe for the dish" So, had I been composing this shot, I'd probably have started with the same thing as you did - half the veg tray and a couple of kitchen utensils...

But then I'd have come up with a recipe - probably the Stuffed Squash one, and said... "ok what do I need to cook that..." so it'd have been probably a saute pan rather than the saucepan, there'd definitely have had to been a bottle of oilve oil somewhere, probably a red Chilli and a red pepper (my all-time favourite soup is Roasted Butternut Squash & Red Pepper, so i'm biased there - but Red Peppers are also fascinating shapes to photograph in their own right...)

And, the most notable change would have had to be, a proper work-surface rather than what looks like a slatted garden furniture table... Even if you WERE preparing a meal "al fresco" and working on that kind of table, you'd NEED a cutting board. So there's a need for an extra prop right there.

So, to the composition...

Again, it's a personal thing, but with these type of shots, I like to see the shot as being from the "chefs viewpoint" - i.e. as if shot with a camera that's facing out of the chef's midriff - maybe a foot above the worktop... almost as if the chef's put his knife down mid-prep and gone to fetch something from the pantry and the photographer has just sneaked in and grabbed a shot (even though we KNOW that these things are FAR FAR removed from a "grab shot") And here to me is one thing why the composition with the knife as it is located doesn't work for me... I'm right handed, and I know I'd never put my knife down on the board behind the squash pointing in the direction it was... Just stand in front of a table and try the action you'd need to make with your right hand to position it there... it's un-natural to the point of feeling slightly painful for me - reaching up and over the squash with my wrist angled back towards my body...

The other thing I'm slightly at issue with is this... none of the veg have been prepared in any way. Personally i'd have had one of the squashes at the top right hand of frame, a saute pan (preferably something posh/poncey like a copper one!) at the top left of frame (running out of shot as they're quite big and frankly would dominate the whole thing if left in whole) with the herbs/parsley hanging over the edge, a cutting board on the table with half of the other squash on the board, the other out of frame, and maybe one of the courgettes sliced in a pile on the side, the other ingredients added around frame to balance the arrangement, but with the knife on the board pointing at roughly 10-o'clock, probably towards the next "victim" to be chopped up...

As it stands, it looks almost like you were under orders "not to play with your dinner"... I think i'd have volunteered to make dinner, but in the process, also made my picture...

Also, you mention in you're description the slightly "freudian" aspect of the shot... again, I think this may well have been something I'd have been tempted to exaggerate and play up to... the curves of the squash for example.

But on the whole, I still think that this shot was far and away your best shot so far - mainly, I'm assuming because it was a "dedicated shoot" rather than a shot taken while out with other non-photographer friends/relatives... and despite what may well seem a little negative comments - I did actually really like it. If only you'd have posted this on Saturday, i'd have probably have had a go at something similar on Sunday morning to illustrate my feedback, but... well... the Butternut squash was cut up and some of it raosted to go with the sunday dinner...

Thanks Mark again for that detailed crit and comments. You're right that the image was slightly muddled; although the general idea was "for the pot", the reality was "what sexy veg can we find in my sister's garden?". (To make that more honest, it should perhaps have been in a trug, with a bit of dirt hanging off some of it.)

Then we started arranging, and it went from there. IIRC I tried some nice pots first, I may put up a couple of them. One thing I discovered is that slight movement between shots tends to lose you the edges of your shots as the software crops to get the common subset. I think this is why some of the items are partly out of shot (more obvious in some others; I was happy with the framing of the entered shot).

I can't quite remember why we ended up outside; I know I had originally wanted to do it inside, but I think her kitchen was not right, and more particularly nor was the light. But outside the table was wrong, and the angle was partly determined by avoiding unwanted background.

My only technical observation is the knife is a bit too bright and has ended up lacking detail which is a bit distracting given the colours of the rest of the image. I like the composition but I'm not really sure why which I realise isn't very helpful...

Thanks Steven. I see what you mean about the brightness of the knife, though I don't have any idea how I could have reduced its brightness (other than in PP). Maybe if I'd turned it so it wasn't reflecting the sky? For me, the cold steel and even the threatening angle are important, however, even though they don't quite make sense in terms of Mark's "story" approach/

Without reading what anyone else has said first, I quite like the image, the contrast of the vegetables and pan against the knife works well and like that the knife stands out and has a slightly threatening look. However, compositionally it feels a little bit out of kilter, I can understand the pan off frame, but it still feels a tad tight along the left/right edges. I also wonder if a lower angle [possibly combined with a rearrangement of the veg to make sure they all feature to some extent] would have made the knife more imposing and dominant.

Thanks Yv. Perhaps a lower angle might have worked better, but IIRC I had to shoot at something like this angle to avoid including a totally inappropriate background. I haven't graduated to the backdrop stage yet!

OK moving on...

Round 10, October, theme: Street
Title: Balancing act
Pentax MX, Pentax-M 85mm f/2, Delta 100 (expired)

image.png

Judges points 21, position 12th, competition points 5, film position 3rd. Two judges' comments:

Comment A = a good natural scene. I like the split focus element and the perspective / lines created by the bollards they are standing on. Compositionally this works but in terms of framing, the foreground violin case is maybe too close to the edge of the frame.

Comment E = A good leading line here to take you along the violinists. Would like to have seen the focus on the 2nd one as she’s facing the camera.

I wrote a post about this in the Cutting Room Floor thread, including a couple of alternative shots, here. Main points:

I was quite pleased to score some points in the Street round, for only the second month this year! ... I quite like that the focus is on the guy looking away and not on the girl, but you can see she has her eyes locked onto him, but the judges were a bit split on that. Fair enough!

[EDIT: I can't quite make up my mind about the focal point. More conventionally it should be on the girl facing, but I somehow think the fact that she is facing adds focus to her, but she's out of focus so the eye drifts back to the near guy, in focus, and is then pulled away again...]

There must be a significant "hunting" element in street photography; I had a clear idea that I wanted to find something at the Edinburgh Festival, but it is very much a case of prowling around looking, or lying in wait for something to come by that works. I tried quite hard to shoot a story where an apparently homeless guy joined in with a street band, but in the few minutes it developed I couldn't quite get the angle, or the focus, or something, that worked. My wild card candidate was the smallest house in Wales, a slab of bright, bright red that would certainly have stood out in the mostly mono shots... but sadly there wasn't enough "story" in it. So I was pretty happy with this result.

Last edited:
We're getting there. Next...

Round 11, November. Theme: Autumn Landscape (no PP)
Title: Autumn woodland glade
Camera: Pentax MX, 35mm f/2 (probably). Agfa Vista 400 shot at 250

image.png

Judges' points: 1, position 22nd, film position 3rd! 3 judges' comments:

Comment A = This is a nice enough scene; typically autumn with the leaves on the floor and the contrasting colours. It is, however, a bit too ordinary to stand out with nothing especially special to draw the idea, or say something creative.

Comment C = Lacking a point of interest and some of the vibrant autumnal colours.

Comment D = Another one that fits the brief of the theme but lacks a focus

My thoughts: pretty fair comments really. I had higher hopes for this image than was actually merited when the negatives and scans came back. In real life that path looked a whole lot more obvious, and I thought there would be more leading the eye. There were a couple of alternatives. One was from the same woodland; I initially rejected it but perhaps it would have been a better choice:

The other was a scene I have shot many times, and thought was perhaps too identifiable, and also flawed because of the person on the path:

And finally...

Round 12, December. Theme: Fashion
Title: Black tie...
Pentax MX, unsure of lens
Developing: XP2+, commercial process and scan
PP: Dust spot removal, straighten, crop, shadow recovery

image.png

Position: 4th, Judges points: 72. As far as I can see, one judge placed it second in their ranking!
Judge comments:

Comment C = A nice simple composition enhanced by B&W. Its sharp, well exposed and fits the theme well.

Comment E = The choice of B&W undoubtedly works well in this one and was the right decision. There's a strong diagonal composition within the square crop and items are nicely arranged within it. Would maybe have liked to see the cufflinks given more prominance, further into the frame but it still works extremely well.

My thoughts: I was pretty doubtful about this. I shot a whole roll of variations on this theme. This was the best, but it was slightly skew. It seemed to work best skewed a bit more and cropped square. When I saw it, though, I didn't like the way the band of the tie protruded beyond the shirt, and the bow just slightly behind the collar. I also wished the cufflinks had been better placed, as judge E also noted. This is one of the times when being able to review the image on the spot would be really great... which is perhaps another way of saying: this is one of the times when the ability to accurately pre-visualise the image is essential.

Back