christening helpp..

Name
matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
i have been doing sport (bike) photography for a while and have become pritty well known, and have just recieved a call from a friend and his son is being christened and asked me to do photography on it.

so i am going to ask for any tips anyone has as this is going to be a special time for my friend and is going to want good quality photos.

any help will be good help,

thanks a lot.

matthew

Good luck!

1) Go to venue beforehand and take tonnes of practice shots
2) Take to vicar about what is / isn't allowed
3) Make sure you get the head being sprinkled!
4) Don't be afraid to move around
5) Get a list of group shots from them prior to event (if they want them)
6) Tell them it's you are a Christening virgin 101 times

Good luck!

1) Go to venue beforehand and take tonnes of practice shots
2) Take to vicar about what is / isn't allowed
3) Make sure you get the head being sprinkled!
4) Don't be afraid to move around
5) Get a list of group shots from them prior to event (if they want them)
6) Tell them it's you are a Christening virgin 101 times

Sorry to rain on your parade but as a Christian and a former C of E Parish warden there are a few problems in the list

1) Taking "Practise" shots at the venue/church is not going to make the vicar happy
2) Head being sprinkled the baptism is a sacrament just like communion and most priests will say no shots at this point in the service
3) Moving around and thereby disturbing people will not make you popular

Now that looks like I am a killjoy Christian bur remember it is a religious service you are recording.point 1 of the original list is however the important one TALK TO THE PRIEST
Whilst they will almost certainly say no to shots during the baptism most will be happy to pose for the shots after the service with Parents,Godparents et al and you can move around as much as you like
But remember no 2 priests are the same so just hope you get a co-operative one

I did my nephew's christening a couple of weeks ago and can confirm the captains remarks. My brother was told beforehand that there were no pictures allowed during the service and actual baptism, but he could do posed shots afterwards. There wasnt any opportunity to do any test shots.
All I can reccommend is to have the fastest lens you can (I used a 50mm f/1.4) as churches tend to be beautiful when the light is streaming through windows, but dark if your not lucky with the light.
Be politely assertive, ask people to be where you want them to be as the vicar wont want crowds hanging around for ages in his Church.

Good Luck!

It really does depend on the Vicar/Rector. The last one (RC) I went to he had no problem with photos or flash throughout. In fact he encouraged it. As far as he was concerned it was an act that should be captured.

It really does depend on the Vicar/Rector. The last one (RC) I went to he had no problem with photos or flash throughout. In fact he encouraged it. As far as he was concerned it was an act that should be captured.

I know from weddings that Catholic priests can be a lot more forthcoming than their Anglican brethren

My son was baptised a couple of weeks ago and it was exactly as CaptainPenguin said, only photos allowed were after the service at which point the minister was more than happy to pose for shots.
Its worth remembering that baptisms are incorporated into a normal service with the regular congregation in attendance, unlike a wedding which is purely for the wedding party. Therefore I had no issue with different rules on photography applying

My son was baptised a couple of weeks ago and it was exactly as CaptainPenguin said, only photos allowed were after the service at which point the minister was more than happy to pose for shots.
Its worth remembering that baptisms are incorporated into a normal service with the regular congregation in attendance, unlike a wedding which is purely for the wedding party. Therefore I had no issue with different rules on photography applying

Often incorporated, but not always. But your point is still most valid. (y)

Sorry if my advice didn't cover all situations. I guess I've been fortunate when I've been to christenings as a photographer and should have said I've only done a handful.

To clarify though I called the church and organised a time after a regular service to take some test shots a few days before.

It's amazing what different people have experienced. I had one Vicar (CofE) stop a service and ask me if the godparents were standing close enough to be in shot, another (RC) who invited everyone down to the front to take photos of the actual baptism - it was chaos!

I hope you have a good experience with yours!

thank a lot for all the help, i will call up the church soon as it is about 3 weeks away yet.

is there any certian settings that would suit the situation better or not..

again thanks..

matthew

i am happy to say that the christening went very well overall, and should have a few more jubls lined up because of today..
thanks a lot for all your help was all very useful and cam into account today..

thanks
matthew

I took some shots at a Christening today....I specifically hired an 85mm f/1.4 lens for this purpose and got some lovely shots. The vicar was quite clear that flash was not allowed and I had to wait until the end of the service...

the vicar i had was more than happy to let photos be taken in the service with flash and he was trying to make jokes at the begining about big brother so a fairly wacky one, was a good time ***

Ive never had a problem with vicars during christenings :clap: but it seems to be a different matter when it comes to weddings :bang:. Last saturday none of us where allowed up front and only 3 pics allowed :razz: Vicars we are like marmite to them they either love us or hate us. 3 pics i mean whats all that about :wacky:.

Back