Christmas arrived in Swansea

Good stuff.

I'm trying to place the second building.

Good stuff.

I'm trying to place the second building.

Its the old harbour/port office, near the Dylan Museum, Adelaide Street/Somerset Place. Posh hotel now, :):)

Thanks for comments...........

Last edited:
Ah I know where you are now. 25 years since I lived in Swansea so a bit rusty with the location. [emoji1303]

Nice set (y)

Is it worth adjusting the white balance in no3? A bit yellow to me.

I like in particular the first image mark, very clever and nice colours.

I would question your settings though after looking critically at the IQ. Was there a reason to stop down to f22 and up the ISO to 1600? If using a tripod I see no reason not to use a lower ISO, a larger aperture and let the exposure run for longer if required. You will still get ok sun stars from the lights with certain lenses, even at larger apertures if that is what you are after. Or you can blend them in from 2 shots at different apertures in PS.

Hmmm... yes used the f22 to get as big a depth of field as I could.

The first shot need that as I wanted the Swansea lights to be best focused to fit the big wheel, as well as a slow shutter speed to catch the wheel movement.

2nd shot needed a fairly large Dof as well, but could well have opened the diaphragm a bit.

3rd shot I wanted Venus to be clear, again could have opened up a bit.

All shots on tripod. ISO 1600 seemed to be reasonable setting for the night shots.

May well have been able to vary the settings somewhat. But they seemed to work in the field. How was IQ compromised?

Thanks for comments, I am here to learn...............:):)

PB300542 (Large).jpg

Nice set (y)

Is it worth adjusting the white balance in no3? A bit yellow to me.

The museum is really that colour in the flesh so to speak. Very yellow/orange.

But played with the image on Photo Zoner, not my usual LR edits and came up with this...............

Hmmm... yes used the f22 to get as big a depth of field as I could.

The first shot need that as I wanted the Swansea lights to be best focused to fit the big wheel, as well as a slow shutter speed to catch the wheel movement.

2nd shot needed a fairly large Dof as well, but could well have opened the diaphragm a bit.

3rd shot I wanted Venus to be clear, again could have opened up a bit.

All shots on tripod. ISO 1600 seemed to be reasonable setting for the night shots.

May well have been able to vary the settings somewhat. But they seemed to work in the field. How was IQ compromised?

Thanks for comments, I am here to learn...............:):)

To be fair, I don't know your camera so you have practical experience of how it performs with relation to dof etc that I don't.

But to answer your points;

1st shot, IQ looks good at this resolution but I would still have opened the aperture up and lowered the ISO to get the shutter speed you are after. Lenses generally reach their optimum sharpness (and overcome issues like corner shading) stopped down a couple of stops from the maximum aperture. However, if you stop down to far you will reduce the sharpness due to something called diffraction, you may not notice it at these sizes but if you try and print large it is real.

2nd shot, to be fair, I don't know your camera so you have practical experience of how it performs with relation to dof etc that I don't. But I would like to think with accurate focussing that f11 for example would be suitable. The advantage of this is you could have dropped the ISO and the noise in the sky would be less prevalent. Most sensors actually have more dynamic range at lower ISO's too which is always useful for night shots.

3rd shot, focus on the building which would be at or near infinity would have given you a sharp star. Or focus stack. You can see the noise in the sky again from ISO1600 and the small aperture also highlights the dust on your sensor.

:)

Thanks Craig,

Yes agree there is noise in the sky, and on the building.

Em1 is a little noisy I find but I could have reduced ISO at least for a comparison.

May try again when weather perks up again.

Good radar day today:):):):)

Back