Christmas film gear!

Name
Alastair
Edit My Images
Yes
Woop! Got a developing tank and change bag for chrimbo! So will have to pick up some chemicals this week. Here's a question - how do you guys get your 22c water? Bit of hot/bit of cold and a thermometer? Or do you have a more clever set up?

Little bit of cold, little bit of hot, mess around with it till around 21c then add the developer.

Or pour some water out before hand and leave it to set at room temp (which is normally around 22c in my house)

Yeah, that's what I've done before. It's not that much of a pain in the arse but if I could get some kind of thermostat controlled device, that would be even better!

I bought a water heater but I blew it up the first time I used it. Now if I need to warm the developer up a little I use a pyrex jug and the microwave. (very gently!)

Can you use just a standard bottle opener to crack a film cartridge open or do I need to spend a few quid on an extractor?

Woop! Got a developing tank and change bag for chrimbo! So will have to pick up some chemicals this week. Here's a question - how do you guys get your 22c water? Bit of hot/bit of cold and a thermometer? Or do you have a more clever set up?

Nothing clever, just mix as everyone has said.

BUT BUT BUT be very careful when you get to the wash step as the tap water at this time of year will be very cold and can cause the emulsion to reticulate (been there done that).

If you are going to use flowing water for the final wash make sure you gradually take the temperature of the film down to the tap water temp.

Better still get a big bucket water at 22c and do multiple rises -fill tank, invert slowly 10 times, empyty - fill repeat etc.

By the time you have done half a dozen or so changes you will have removed all of the fix anyway.

HTH

David

Can you use just a standard bottle opener to crack a film cartridge open or do I need to spend a few quid on an extractor?

If you don't want to re load the cartridges a bottle opener will work fine.

David

Cheers for the tips David! By reloading the cartridge, I'm assuming with new film? I'm not sure what situation would require that, personally, so by all means enlighten me :)

If anyone's interested, I have a spreadsheet with some formulae that calculate things like:
how much time to give chemicals in a microwave; how much hot and cold water is required to make up an amount of water at a certain temperature; how much stock solution and water is needed to make up a volume of chemical at a certain dilution as well as the temperature of the water needed to make up the solution to a certain temperature.

PM me if you want me to email me a copy - or mods - can I upload an excel/open office spreadsheet to the board?

Cheers

Mark

That would be REALLY useful! I'll pm you my email address.

Cheers!

Back