Critique Christmas portraits

Hi Donna,

Looking at the images especially first and third I would get the whole body in the frame as these two the feet seem to be cut from the image. Also with number one, I would personally make sure also that all of the people were in focus as the lad's hand is going out of focus with the depth of field.

Image number 2 works well nice framing and the girl is all in the frame.

The last image is nice with the dog, the only thing I would have done would have been to remove the Santa in the background as it kind of draws my eye away from the dog.

Hope that helps.

Hi Donna,

Looking at the images especially first and third I would get the whole body in the frame as these two the feet seem to be cut from the image. Also with number one, I would personally make sure also that all of the people were in focus as the lad's hand is going out of focus with the depth of field.

Image number 2 works well nice framing and the girl is all in the frame.

The last image is nice with the dog, the only thing I would have done would have been to remove the Santa in the background as it kind of draws my eye away from the dog.

Hope that helps.

Yes that’s great thankyou

They're all lovely - nice atmosphere, great use of light. I don't mind the cropped limbs at all - it adds to the sense of intimacy. In fact the only one I'm not keen on is #2 which does include the whole body - the expression & knees facing the camera are a little curious.
Thankyou.
I was quite limited in a room not massive and an 85mm lens lol, im almost at buying another lens

Simon summed it up perfectly. You got the cosy Christmas feeling just right. The setting works really well.

Gaz

They are good, but as has been said already, you lose out slightly by not having the room to get the whole person in the shoot with your 85mm. the other thin that stands out the most though is with the backdrop, in shots 1-3 you can see the backdrop doesn't meet the floor with a large gap in 3 on the right had side, making a bit of a distraction, the rug works well to help brake it up on the left side and the flow a bit better. but only very very minor points to consider changing next time.

They are good, but as has been said already, you lose out slightly by not having the room to get the whole person in the shoot with your 85mm. the other thin that stands out the most though is with the backdrop, in shots 1-3 you can see the backdrop doesn't meet the floor with a large gap in 3 on the right had side, making a bit of a distraction, the rug works well to help brake it up on the left side and the flow a bit better. but only very very minor points to consider changing next time.
Yes ill take note of that next time, thankyou

The thing about focal length (that most hobbyists fail to grasp) is that it makes more difference than just wide shot/close shot.

The craft is to learn to get the shot you can with the gear/location you have available. A wider lens here would have made it easier to ‘get the feet in’ but also changed the relationship between the subject and background. Personally I’d have stuck with the 85mm and aimed for closer compositions.

The thing about focal length (that most hobbyists fail to grasp) is that it makes more difference than just wide shot/close shot.

The craft is to learn to get the shot you can with the gear/location you have available. A wider lens here would have made it easier to ‘get the feet in’ but also changed the relationship between the subject and background. Personally I’d have stuck with the 85mm and aimed for closer compositions.

Thankyou good advice as always

Back