Christmas Tree Light Trails

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

First go with light trails, I really struggled with composition with this, I'd be greatful if anyone could suggest any help.

The idea was to get the road behind the tree that splits off, hence ignoring the usual 3 thirds grid style of composition.

I just don't think it works somehow:

20120102-_MG_2354 by nickl360, on Flickr

that looks good too me

i was going to try a very similar pic tonight as i was driving past

Like it looks great, nice composition, exposure looks good, good to see a blue sky rather than a black non discript sky, I did a quick edit for perspective to straighten it up, hope you dont mind

6631651175_864257f9c5_b.jpg

Original

6631297585_2e727cda2e_z.jpg

Last edited:
That edit looks a lot better. can you explain what you did?

What I find with a lot of my pictures is the main subject of my image isn't the largest in my image if that makes sense?? That slight edit makes the tree look bigger and almost a better angle.

Is that the 'tree' at Canning Circus in Nottingham?

I like the idea of this shot and the split in the road, but agree with the above suggestion of layering up different exposures in order to make the most of the light trails.

I would also be interested in knowing how the perspective was adjusted in this image.

As said the exposure is spot on and the sky really adds to the picture, I think its a good photo of a lit christmas tree, there isn't enough of the light trails to tell you they are meant to be there and as a result imo are distracting from the tree.
You need more cars to make it a light trail shot (a bit beyond your control I know). Still the tree really does look good :)

The edit done by just dave has corrected the converging verticals by the look of things - just don't ask me how he did it.

Hi

To correct the converging verticals I used the perspective tool and skew tools in CS5, I dont mind the white light trails, and they add to the shot in my opinion, but if you had shot from the other side you would have had red trails though (y)

Its still a fab shot and I would be pleased with it (y)

Last edited:
I live in Chilwell so when leaving town I go past this spot.

I need to get into the centre of town more often and take some architecture and urban shots.

I'm based in Bramcote so not a million miles away.

I struggle to find any decent urban shots when it's my home town, must try harder!!

Here is another one from a different angle, again straight from the camera:

20120102-_MG_2363 by nickl360, on Flickr

The sky is not as nice and bright in this one, but does have red lights.

RE: the comments about white / red lights. I agree it would of looked better however right behind where the original pic was taken is a pub that is illuminated so it would of been a distraction. Maybe next year I'll give it a go!!

Like this, particularly with the perspective straightened.

One thing though, always find it a bit sad that Councils need to put a clunky ring of Heras fencing around the bottom of trees and decorations like this.

nickl360 said:
I'm based in Bramcote so not a million miles away.

I struggle to find any decent urban shots when it's my home town, must try harder!!

Well if I manage to find some interesting locations i'll let you know.

I went to Wollaton park the other day and think i'll be going back with the camera to see what I can shoot there.

Back