Christmas Turkeys - Stupid Question Alert!!!

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Apologies in advance for a silly question, but for the last 10 years I have bought a Kelly Bronze turkey from local farm shop, so not used to braving the supermarkets for this!!!

Anyway, left it too late this year, farm shop has none left, so need to get a turkey elsewhere. Was about to order a Bronze 4kg from M&S but again, leaving it this late has meant the pick-up times don't really suit. I normally nip into town around 7am/8am to avoid the crowds. So my question is, are the turkeys on sale in store just the 'normal' white ones, or is there a decent choice of Bronze free range ones? Never paid attention to what they have in the past!

Waitrose do good turkeys, but they are generally all on order although you can turn up whenever you like to pick them up. Costco do too, if you happen to be a member.

Do your local farm shop have any 'normal' white ones left? If you've always been happy with the bronze ones from your local farm shop then the white ones might be of similar quality and for just one year you could have a change? If you're a regular customer at your local farm shop during the rest of the year then they might be able to look after you if you can find someone who recognises you... however, if you just 'use' them because you want a nice Christmas turkey, and shop elsewhere the rest of the year, then they may not be all that bothered about your predicament, and that's probably quite understandable really.

Last edited:
Just buy a turkey crown from Aldi or Lidl with stuffing all ready to go in the oven , they are lovely

If you are really struggling to find somewhere you could always try this https://ecommerce.nfuonline.com/back-british-farming/uk-turkeys/turkey-finder/ and phone some of your local suppliers and see if they have one left. I don't know how up to date the list is, it's one I used last year as the place I had been to for years had stopped selling turkeys.

You might have to compromise a bit on the weight you want, as it's so close to Christmas. Don't blame me if you use the list and things don't work out though, I'm just trying to help someone as it's Xmas. As with choosing any supplier, try and find some good reviews or testimonials before you make a choice. (y)

If you're a gambling man, it might be worth asking your normal place if they have a waiting list for uncollected orders. Best have a decent plan B in place though!

Will just see what they have in M&S / Waitrose a day or 2 before. Just hope they have a Bronze one - should do, just never paid attention there before.

Will just see what they have in M&S / Waitrose a day or 2 before. Just hope they have a Bronze one - should do, just never paid attention there before.

For many years it used be the game to send me down to M&S on the last day before Christmas, get there early enough to be at the front of the queue and be prepared to use sharp elbow techniques to grab a bird. Never went hungry....

Just buy a turkey crown from Aldi or Lidl with stuffing all ready to go in the oven , they are lovely
Are they the ones that come in a foil tray? I might have a nosey, when I go next week.

Cheers, will deffo have a nosey then. ;)

I normally buy one every year they are all ready to put in the oven and when cooked are nice and moist , come with stuffing as well
Hardly any waist and when cooked you throw away the foil cooking dish , NO WASHING up :D

I normally buy one every year they are all ready to put in the oven and when cooked are nice and moist , come with stuffing as well
Hardly any waist and when cooked you throw away the foil cooking dish , NO WASHING up :D
A good plan.

Chances are, I will get one on my next shopping trip. ;)

Rinse it and recycle it rather than lob it at landfill.

View media item 13433
I had a nose in the shop, early this morning. Got a small Turkey Crown, only me and the missus, we don't have big appetites. Besides, we need room for all the mince pies etc. :)

It was slightly under a tenner.

Last edited:
We're having lamb. Mrs Nod's veggie but we're taking commercialmas dinner to her mum's to cook and both she (MiL) and I prefer lamb to turkey or any poultry.

We're having lamb. Mrs Nod's veggie but we're taking commercialmas dinner to her mum's to cook and both she (MiL) and I prefer lamb to turkey or any poultry.

We're also having lamb, Going to make it easy and use lamb rumps.

Going for a butterflied shoulder.

Marc and I will be cooking ours... the English way of "having" lamb, not the Welsh! :p

Normal supermarket and butchers turkeys are white ones, the bronze turkeys are always marketed and sold as bronze turkeys, they are quite different and command a higher price.

Not that there is anything wrong with white turkeys, main difference being that bronze turkeys are almost always free-range, whereas white turkeys can be free-range, barn-fed or caged.

White turkeys put on weight quickly so are cheaper to grow, whereas bronze turkeys (old-fashioned, traditional breed) are slower growing and much more flavoursome.

HTH

the bronze turkeys are always marketed and sold as bronze turkeys, they are quite different and command a higher price.
I caught the tail end of a waitrose ad the other day, and I thought they said £10 / Kg.
So I had to google, in fact that are circa £1.30 / 100g! seriously?

Normal supermarket and butchers turkeys are white ones, the bronze turkeys are always marketed and sold as bronze turkeys, they are quite different and command a higher price.

Not that there is anything wrong with white turkeys, main difference being that bronze turkeys are almost always free-range, whereas white turkeys can be free-range, barn-fed or caged.

White turkeys put on weight quickly so are cheaper to grow, whereas bronze turkeys (old-fashioned, traditional breed) are slower growing and much more flavoursome.

HTH

Bronze I think are at least twice as old and have more fat which keeps them moist.

I caught the tail end of a waitrose ad the other day, and I thought they said £10 / Kg.
So I had to google, in fact that are circa £1.30 / 100g! seriously?

Yup, seriously, locally the bronze turkeys are between £13.95 and £14.50 per kg, with a 15 to 16lb bird costing about £100.

How many do you want?

We are having boneless turkey crown too, from a white turkey. Merry Christmas!

If it was for my palate, I would not bother with a Turkey. I would much prefer a piece of Beef, or Lamb.

Back