Christmas

Need more shutter speed and iso by the looks of it mate as its slightly blurred. If you have a flash, you can get some really nice shots if you use "rear curtain sync" so that the flash fires at the end of the shutter (as its closing) so high iso is still needed to sample the ambient light (so its faithful to the shot, especially the christmas tree lights) whilst the flash illuminates the bauble you have focus on.

Example!

Golden Bauble by jjohnson2012, on Flickr

I used F4 - 1000 iso (to expose for the background lights) and rear sync flash via my SB-900 that was on my camera, yet bounced off the ceiling for a nicer lighting.

If you don't have a flashgun, try resting your camera on something and using a long exposure instead, which can also give some rather nice results!

Sorry to but in.

I have just got a sb600 does that have the rear curtain thing and what is it. ?

I only ask as I have tried the ball ball thing as well and failed. : )

scott199 said:
Sorry to but in.

I use a canon 60D and I'm pretty sure you can change it to rear curtain in the camera.

Thanks, will interview the camera menu and see what it decides to tell me. ;)

Sorry to but in.

Yup, its a standard setting. Just remember to raise your ISO to make sure you can expose for the ambient lights. Takes a bit of playing around with but the results are worth it. On nikon cameras, just press your flash icon button (if you have one) and move the shutter wheel to adjust the settings between normal, red eye, rear (the one you want) and rear + red eye modes.

If you don't have a button, it'll definitely be in the menu. No issues with a SB-600 either.

Yep Nikon.

Thank you. Thats tonight sorted then. ; )

Upload your pictures to the thread and I'll upload my improved shots when I've done them

I think what would be really cool is if the reflection on the bulbul was sharper. Nice picture though.

rosiepep said:
I think what would be really cool is if the reflection on the bulbul was sharper. Nice picture though.

I agree, that was my intention - to get a reflection of me taking the picture which you can just about see.

LOL. Harder than it sounded. ; )

Might need a few more hours. : 0

hi Brad
It's a great try but please try and keep out of the reflections!
Try a star filter this works well on tree lights.
Nigel

Hi brad

Are we doing this strait from cam. ?

Or edited versions. ?

scott199 said:
Hi brad

Are we doing this strait from cam. ?

Or edited versions. ?

Straight from cam, mine are done just finding time to upload as I've been working through Christmas :)

:)

Glad you said that, got a few but not happy, more today.

scott199 said:
:)

Glad you said that, got a few but not happy, more today.

Same, I uploaded mine and the improvements minimal, will have another try today and upload!

Back