1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Don't forget to change the clocks on your camera equipment!

Dismiss Notice
  3. It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of a long-standing member, Just Dave.

Dave Barker was a member of Talk Photography for nearly 10 years, and was a prominent member for most of those.
    A very warm, friendly and enthusiastic member, he spent the largest portion of his time on TP welcoming and helping others.

I'm sure all visitors to this site will join us in thanking Dave for his unwavering support and being a large part of our community.
    Our thoughts are with his family and friends at such a difficult time.

Click here to join in the discussion

Dismiss Notice
  1. Lou Nardi

Lou Nardi

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'd just to ask you about CP filter as I know it's for either landscape or streetscape. But if I ask anyone who's been using this filter for general like outdoor portrait or zoo???

2. chris malcolm

chris malcolm

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It has a specific effect. It can reduce or intensify reflections or glitter from water, glass, glossy leaves, polished surfaces, etc., and can darken or lighten part of a blue sky (because blue sky is polarised circularly around the position of the sun). So sometimes it can be a useful effect in some photographs in certain lighting conditions. It's not really "for" any specific kind of photography. It could be useful in some landscape shots to reduce the glitter from diffusely backlit foliage, and annoying in other landscape shots where it would selectively darken some of the blue sky, and lighten another part. It could be useful in zoos photographing some animals behind glass, or an annoying loss of light when photographing a fidgeting animal in dim light.

Lou Nardi likes this.
  3. ancient_mariner

ancient_mariner

Name:
    Toni
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I have one but found it disappointing - it doesn't work like a conventional polariser where you can rotate the filter to an optimal position, and it just gives a half-hearted effect while making the viewfinder dim from loss of 2 stops.

4. ian-83

ian-83

Name:
    Ian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    A polariser isn't just for landscape. You could use it for many applications if you want to remove glare or reflection from a surface such as glass.

Also it's good to boost saturation of colour though you need the sun to your left or right for maximum effect.