Circular Polariser Lenses, Benefits ?

Name
Lloyd
Edit My Images
Yes
Would like to know the pro's and cons for using C.P Lenses, What their main benefts are, how to use them to best effect. Are their better makes then others etc. Manys thanks, tazza :thinking:

Hi Tazza
polariser filters are wonderful things
use them when there are reflections from glass / water etc to cut the glare, the effect can't be reproduced in photoshop, it has to be at point of capture. also for darkening skies, giving luvverly saturated colours.
only problem I've had was trying to stitch a panorama together, the effect of the filter varies with the angle to the sun, so thats a :nono:
they're a must buy for every lens.
Dont forget to share the photos !

I'll chirp in with a titbit (ready to be shot down :()

CPL's replaced linear polarisers when SLR's came into vogue. If there is a strong light source (ie, the sun) at about 90 degrees to the lens surface then the uncontained light will cause metering problems as it's reflected off internal surfaces in the camera body...especially the mirror. CPL's are made to rotate as different lens and camera internals require subtle difference in the position for the optimum protection/correction.

Okay...fire now !

Bob

I'll chirp in with a titbit (ready to be shot down :()

CPL's replaced linear polarisers when SLR's came into vogue. If there is a strong light source (ie, the sun) at about 90 degrees to the lens surface then the uncontained light will cause metering problems as it's reflected off internal surfaces in the camera body...especially the mirror. CPL's are made to rotate as different lens and camera internals require subtle difference in the position for the optimum protection/correction.

Okay...fire now !

Bob

Bob

you need to get out more....:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Bob

you need to get out more....:LOL::LOL::LOL:

:crying:

This is the sort of "useful information" you acquire when languishing in foreign hotels with TV channels talking languages you don't understand.....now, for instance

Would like to know the pro's and cons for using C.P Lenses, What their main benifts are, how to use them to best effect. Are their better makes then others etc. Manys thanks, tazza :thinking:

Two main uses for circ pols are eliminating reflections (e.g. if you want shoot fish in water or through a glass window). They can increase colour satuartion by eliminting reflections too. For instance you can make foliage appear greener by eliminating the shiny leaves.

The other thing polarisers are are good at is darkening blue skies to dramatic deep blues. The effect work best at 90 degrees to the direction of the sun- and with really wide angle lenses you can see that the sky polarisation is not uniform. It works because light from a blue sky is partly polarised and thus the filter can cut some of it.

Circular polarisers are preffered to linear polarisers in modern AF cameras because a linear polariser can confuse the meter and the AF sensors. A circular polariser won't.

As with most products an expensive circ pol should give better results than a cheap brand.

Circular polariser was used in this shot to give deep blue sky and saturated colours.
Dscf1847.jpg

I like polariser questions , it lets me post my example photo to show how well they reduce glare :)

polarizer.jpg

wow that's a very graphic way of showing the effect (y)
shame you couldn't afford a whole one though! :nuts:

Thanks to all for your info, from your uploaded photos they certainly do make dramatic effects to sky, glare etc. I'l be purchasing one for sure now, thanks again for al your input, ive printed out all remarks as my brain doesn't quite hold that much info at one time.. tazza (y)(y)

A polariser is a "must have" filter for me, really can enhance otherwise flat lighting. This was taken in quite harsh lighting but the polariser made a big difference

Sorry for the copyright - it's linked from my website

simon

snowdon-mountain-reflection-snowdonia-north-wales-image-2.jpg

I love my CP filter. The colours appear less washed out as well as the main benefit of reducing reflections. Here's my example.

cir_pl01.jpg

cir_pl02.jpg

I remember from years ago that if you place 2 polarising lenses together & turn them they gradually block all light.

Would this mean that if you stacked them you could infinitely vary the light & therefore the shutter speed?

Maybe you could use them instead of nd filters?

Actually, that's not as daft as it seems, I used 2 at approaching right angles to reduce glare at a partial solar eclipse, as I didn't have a proper anti sun type filter, and ambre solaire on the lens didn't help either......

I remember from years ago that if you place 2 polarising lenses together & turn them they gradually block all light.

Would this mean that if you stacked them you could infinitely vary the light & therefore the shutter speed?

Maybe you could use them instead of nd filters?

Crossed polarisers will act like a variable neutral density filter. The main problem you'll get is they aren't 'neutral'- you will probably end up with a blue colour caste to your photo. Worth a try though if you need darker daylight.

Also interesting is that LCD screens give out a polarised light which can be cancelled out by a filter. I used it here to demonstrate just how filthy my screen was:

IMG_0938s.jpg

Back