Circular Polarizer

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello.

I currently have an old Jessops circular polarizer but I'm not happy with the quality of the images it produces so I'm after an upgrade.

I keep seeing Gobe filters on Amazon, price seems reasonable and they plant a tree for every filter sold, does anyone have any experience using Gobe filters, or any other brand recommendations?

Thanks

Hello.

I currently have an old Jessops circular polarizer but I'm not happy with the quality of the images it produces so I'm after an upgrade.

I keep seeing Gobe filters on Amazon, price seems reasonable and they plant a tree for every filter sold, does anyone have any experience using Gobe filters, or any other brand recommendations?

Thanks

I’ve not used one but I know some brilliant photographers that do, they seem happy.

Hello.

Thanks

I`ve got a couple of Gobe ND filters, but not a CP. I`m more than happy for the price.
Also some have different grades * - ** - *** etc

I`ve got a couple of Gobe ND filters, but not a CP. I`m more than happy for the price.
Also some have different grades * - ** - *** etc

I've just noticed the grade rating on them, Amazon currently have a bundle of an ND8, ND1000, Circular Polariser and a UV for £80 which seems reasonable, I'm not interested in the UV but it's included anyway.

I've just noticed the grade rating on them, Amazon currently have a bundle of an ND8, ND1000, Circular Polariser and a UV for £80 which seems reasonable, I'm not interested in the UV but it's included anyway.

That sounds pretty good. Are they at least the 2 star versions thopugh?

I have a Gobe CPL along with a couple of ND filters, They appear to be pretty good quality and work well.

Shop around though, dependent on the size needed you can buy Gobe filters on eBay for quite a bit cheaper than other places.

I have a gobe cpl. Works as intended and no noticeable detriment to the iq.

*genuine* Hoya hd or b+w can be picked up for not much money at all on eBay with a little bit of patience. Just never get cheaper pro1d line as they are super fragile

When you say genuine, do you mean there is fake hoya/b+w filters floating around on eBay or have I misunderstood? Thanks, I'm always a little cautious with eBay.

When you say genuine, do you mean there is fake hoya/b+w filters floating around on eBay or have I misunderstood? Thanks, I'm always a little cautious with eBay.

Yes there are fake filters for sale on ebay. Just ensure if you buy from ebay it is advertised as 'genuine' then if not you can raise a case with ebay.
In addition I would only purchase from a UK seller.

Yes there are fake filters for sale on ebay. Just ensure if you buy from ebay it is advertised as 'genuine' then if not you can raise a case with ebay.
In addition I would only purchase from a UK seller.
Surely if it claims to be Hoya or B&W but isn't you have a claim. The word genuine is irrelevant if it's not as described you have a case.

Surely if it claims to be Hoya or B&W but isn't you have a claim. The word genuine is irrelevant if it's not as described you have a case.

Last year there was a batch of 'Hoya' named filters selling on ebay that weren't Hoya as we know it. There was an online article explaining how to check and it was to do with the front picture cover that had a slight difference from the original. If I can find the article I will post it on this thread.
No idea though where this lot originated from but probably somewhere like China!

Loads in fact. If you are really sharp you can maybe spot a couple tiny differences on the box or the lens rim in the photos. The differences can be subtle and don't presume they will show the back of the box or side of the rim. I bought one fake UV this summer but managed to get a straight refund. The fake ones have very lightweight aluminum rim and almost no coating. I've been more careful with the others and I think they are the real deal.

Anything Hoya new and cheap is likely fake. What you want is used, but obviously not much and the seller crying how much they spent from UK shop ideally with receipt in photos.

I believe same goes for memory cards too.

Last year there was a batch of 'Hoya' named filters selling on ebay that weren't Hoya as we know it. There was an online article explaining how to check and it was to do with the front picture cover that had a slight difference from the original. If I can find the article I will post it on this thread.
No idea though where this lot originated from but probably somewhere like China!
I've seen similar articles in the past so was familiar with the fakes, but if the listing says they are Hoya (without saying genuine or admitting theuy are fakes) then you have a claim provided you can spot the issue.

Thanks for the responses and advice.

I'm a bit surprised at how many fakes there are on eBay, considering circular polarisers are a bit of a niche...

Thanks for the responses and advice.

I'm a bit surprised at how many fakes there are on eBay, considering circular polarisers are a bit of a niche...

They are very easy and quick to make and probably cost a dollar a piece so there is a bit of money to made for the red dragon startups. A quick glance at aliexpress and alibaba quickly shows the scale of fake hoya and bw trade.

Back