CIS for Epson

Name
Sebastian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

My original Epson inks are running out fast so next week I need to invest in alternative solution: CIS or refill system.

CIS - i like the idea of seeing how much ink is left and (I assume) it will be cheaper to run.
I had a look at Fotospeed and Marrut websites and I have sent them emails asking about CIS for my printer (Epson PX710W).
Do you know any other reliable CIS makers?

The ones from Amazon and eBay have pretty good reviews and the price is tempting (£30?)

UPDATE:

I am thinking about buying one of these two:

Fotorite

Lyson

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:
pretty much all CIS systems are kinda the same so its really the ink you should be looking at and the cost. (cheapest not always the best).

lyson donn't make one for your system (well according to their site).

I have an Epson 1400 and bought my cis from Ebay for approx. £50 never had a problem with it or ink clogging and saved a fortune in ink.
Bought from Inktec Midlands also go as Ink Express Ltd from Wolverhampton.
Tel no 01902 307111
http://www.inkexpress.co.uk/
Give them a ring and have a chat

Dave

Last edited:
I have an Epson 1400 and bought my cis from Ebay for approx. £50 never had a problem with it or ink clogging and saved a fortune in ink.
Bought from Inktec Midlands also go as Ink Express Ltd from Wolverhampton.
Tel no 01902 307111
http://www.inkexpress.co.uk/
Give them a ring and have a chat

Dave

I will, thanks!

So now it's between inkexpress and cityinkexpress.

I would love to go with Lyson, but I need to find out how good (?) fotorite is.

Hmm... will Google for some reviews.

Another positive for CityInk bought a CISS for my Epson P50, arrived next day and has so far worked well (approx 6 months so far). Just using the supplied ink still

Another positive for CityInk bought a CISS for my Epson P50, arrived next day and has so far worked well (approx 6 months so far). Just using the supplied ink still

Was it the one with Lyson ink or fotorite?

I think I will go with City Ink Express, I just don't know which ink to go for.
Fotorite or Lyson...
I would love to go for the best, but it's hard to justify it this time..

I got a Lyson cis system from Marrutt for my epson R2880, great system and the inks are really good, if used with Lyson paper the results are stunning. (y)

Can you keep this thread updated or pm me with how you get on with the ink and results i have the same printer and thinking of doing the same(y)

Can you keep this thread updated or pm me with how you get on with the ink and results i have the same printer and thinking of doing the same(y)

Will do. I think both solutions will be good. It's just the case of getting something good and very good!
I also need to think about running costs and my usage.

Am thinking of getting a CIS as well (for an HP so if that makes a difference or anyone has experience of those please say) so would like to see more info on this please.

i got one from Cityinkexpress ciss for epson about a year ago not had any problems with it (y)

Bit late in the day but I didn't see Permajet mentioned. I have their CIS on my R2880. I also have an Advanced Inkjet Systems CIS on an Epson RX585. It seems you can't get the latter CIS from AIS instead they refer you to CityInk Express. Permajet are really helpful.

I have the Citylink Express on my Epson SX515W - no problems as yet(y)

I have the Citylink Express on my Epson SX515W - no problems as yet(y)

did you go for the pigment or dye based system- im guessing the pigment is the same as the epson genuine setup- iv been screwed over with cheap cartridges giving poor colour- was actually impressed with the genuine cartridges that came with my sx515w similar ink properties to the pro9800 setup i use at work

i went down the road of buying one from a computer fair with a set of refils lo and behold when i topped up with the refils it was a different ink and the colours were way off.
i now use permajet and there bespoke profiling with there papers and ink excellent.

imacwalker said:
Decided to go for a pigment ciss from cityinkexpress- for my sx515w

if your printer is not originally pigment you are likely to block your print head

If you're using the printer a LOT then I'd look at Lyson or maybe Marrut.

If it's low-med use then I'd still use brand inks for best results.
Particularly if they're prints being sold (assuming they are?).
Factor the ink cost into the final product price. It's a marginal increase per print for maximum quality - esp if a client is paying for it ;)

SO: it arrived safely, well packed, good quality.
I had to refill empty ink containers, it was quite fun to do :)

But it's not working.
After placing it in my Epson PX710W, every time I wanted to print it was coming back with "An printer error has occured"

Printer works with old carts.
No air in ink tubes.
Multiple restarts
No Paper Jam

Any ideas?:/ Thanks...

Last edited:
CityInk Express: no reply to email, no one is picking up the phone.

I had a chat to Epson, they want me to bring the printer to Express Service...

Eh...

Using a CISS in an Epson printer will void your warranty so be very carefull what you say Seb.

Chances are one of the chips in the carts is faulty and not communicating with the printer.
Before taking it anywhere get an ink eraser and lightly clean all the chip surfaces on the carts. I had the same problem on my R300 CISS system. A good clean of the contacts cured ut.

I now use refillable carts because although they need checking they are less trouble.

Thanks Chris. I would do what you say but I have managed to resolve the problem.

It was the sensor in scanner lid.
I have replaced the sensor as instructed, printer was showing that everything is OK, but is threw this error when trying to print.
After closing the lid even further and placing some rubber strip between the lid and ink tubes (to avoid crushing) it started to work.

So Seb walks into an Epson centre with a printr and a ciss system hanging off it. I can guarentee what they will say.

I have had long dealings with Epson including a number of visits to their head office. I've had it direct from the horses mouth.

I'm beggining to wonder if you work for Epson POAH.

I don't work for epson - not sure what gave you that idea :shrug:

you may have heard from epsons mouth but the EU's mouth speaks considerably louder and more effectively (y)

So Seb walks into an Epson centre with a printr and a ciss system hanging off it. I can guarentee what they will say.

I have had long dealings with Epson including a number of visits to their head office. I've had it direct from the horses mouth.

I'm beggining to wonder if you work for Epson POAH.

I'm glad that no visit will be necessary. Everything is working perfect now!!
I have printed some test prints on few types of paper, they are close to what I see on the monitor, but not quite the same. So now I will have to look into profiling etc.
FotoSpeed offers free profile with their paper so I will start there!
Thanks for all your help.

Seb has already said that the printer work ok with origional carts so I just put 2 and 2 together and make 4.

If you walk into an Epson centre with a CISS system on they will almost certinly say thats the fault or they wont touch the printer until it's removed and you come back with genuine carts in it.

I work in retail IT and we won't repair or replace a printer that doesn't have genuine consumables in it, I always ring up and ask first before I go. That way I don't have to make the job chargeable.

I know all about the EU rules but in real life it isn't worth the hassle, and over six months old you are the one that has to prove the fault wasn't your fault.

Seb, your into the world of a personal profiling device now. Using profiles supplied with paper are a waste of time because they are generated using their paper and genuine inks. Your probably going to have to look at a Colormunki or Spyder system.

Seb, your into the world of a personal profiling device now. Using profiles supplied with paper are a waste of time because they are generated using their paper and genuine inks. Your probably going to have to look at a Colormunki or Spyder system.

Not yet. My next investment (that I need to do to keep me from going insane) is new laptop and small netbook. Budget £1000. And THEN profiling device

Go to your local big tesco, go to the electrical counter and as if they have any of the E-Machines netbooks left that where on offer for £129. They are XP machines but have a high spec for a netbook.

If you at some time decide to go the Spyder route buy the Spyder Pro and Spyder print ( thats what I have ) seperate and don't buy a Spyder studio all in one pack.

Seperately they are £50 cheaper than the set in a fancy case.

Back