Ciss for Canon IX6550 printer

Name
graham
Edit My Images
No
hi
Thinking of getting the above setup ;)
Is anyone got this setup or just the printer ?
Have been reading about the IX4000 printer they are saying the black is not real black ! Hoping this new printer with the extra black will solve this problem .
So your views reviews would be a great help on printer & Ciss system & ink would be great
regards

anyone ?

ever think people on here have one

did you google reviews?

did you google CIS systems for said printer?

it only has 3 colours and one black for photoprinting - probably not that great at B&W

ever think people on here have one

did you google reviews?

did you google CIS systems for said printer?

it only has 3 colours and one black for photoprinting - probably not that great at B&W

yes all reviews from suppliers !
Yes found 2
3 colours & 2 blacks
Only asking if any one has got the printer with a ciss system to see what they think of it :shrug:

I've got the printer but only had it for a short while, seems okay. I am using still using the inks it came with and I have bought some Canon Photo Plus II paper for it.

I am about to print some pictures for my daughter tomorrow so will have a good idea of how it performs although as it's not really marketed as a Photo printer I am not expecting too much. Luckily I also have my Dye Sub if the pictures from it are carp.

one of the blacks is for txt printing not photoprinting

yes all reviews from suppliers !
Yes found 2
3 colours & 2 blacks
Only asking if any one has got the printer with a ciss system to see what they think of it :shrug:

I'm very pleased with the quality of the prints using the ciss system, the printer does offer really lovely photo quality prints, there are afew areas that i have noted tho

first off there feed rollers do leave some small marks on the paper, you can see these if you look really closely, but i think the type of paper i'm using might also be playing apart in that.

the black and white printing is slightly purple, if you want true black and white all the time then i'm not sure this is the best fit.

the continus ink system works a treat tho and if your looking todo alot of printing like myself then this is the only answer to it without taking out a mortgage for the canon ink's.

city ink express is where i purchased my ciss from and it was an outlay of 98 pounds for the lyson based inks

http://www.cityinkexpress.co.uk/ciss/canon/ix6550/ix-series

overall for good A3 prints an minimal cost and some fiddling the setup is pretty good, i have no complaints about the mentioned above from anyone that has seen my prints - i'm just fussy.

Hi,
I also own a Canon IX6550, and i'm looking at getting a CISS from City Ink Express.
Are the Lyson inks the way to go? Is there much variation between them and the Canon inks?
I don't want to buy this system and then find that my prints are sub standard to Canon Inks. I'm reading good reviews but I can;t for the life of me find any side by side comparisons between Canon Ink and Lyson Ink

Cheers
Ian

Ginsters said:
Don't suppose anyone has any profiles that they use for Lyson inks with this printer? I use Jessops paper, anyone know the best profile to use?

The one you'd need to get made for Lysol and Jessops paper lol

Ginsters said:
Have you ever thought of becoming a stand up comedian?
you had me in stitches there

:wacky:

It's a fact though. You would have to get a profile for the ink and paper combo.

I find Jessops/Canon/Epson etc paper all give very similar results.
I've nailed it through trial and error anyway. Found the perfect settings to give me identical prints to my calibrated screen, so i'm more than happy.

Even the black and whites are amazing, better than the Canon inks in my opinion

so is the ciss from cityinkexpress ok with the ix6550 have you had any problems thanxs

I've not tried CIS systems with Canons in over five years now so my experience is dated but I would urge a note of caution when it comes to CIS systems and Canon printers (and lately the Epson Expression XP-600, and higher, models).

The critical weak-point is the interface between the print-head and the cartridge outlet. The bulk of Epson inkjet printers use an interface that has a solid, high surface area seal against air intake (that thick rubber ring in the outlet and the ink receiver stem that sticks into it) making them ideal for CIS systems and probably the reason why they've recently switched to the new cartridge/printhead receiver design in the XP-600+.

Canon printers however have a very weak interface incorporating a thin rubber grommet that collapses over time and a thin edge around the cartridge outlet port. Any sag in the rubber grommet or damage to the plastic rim allows air into the interface and it's this that causes the supply of ink to fail. Air being easier to pull than ink just means you pull air into your printhead nozzles, start getting missed fires, overheating nozzles (no coolant/ink) and eventually Fzzztt, bang!... [expletive].

Now, I know that the CIS systems from Cityinkexpress include a replacement silicon grommet that removes the rubber grommet from the equation so it's entirely possible that things have improved somewhat but were I to do-over my experience (18 months of hell back in 2007/8) I would recommend you do the following when receiving, installing and testing your CIS system.

Receiving:
  • Check for any poorly manufactured silicon grommets. You want a smooth surface (on both sides) that will not allow air into the receiver and/or cartridge so any channels/folds/etc that provide a link from the outside rim to inside the cartridge diameter will cause problems.
  • Check the CIS cartridges themselves around the outlet ports to ensure there's no nicks or other damage that again will allow air to migrate in.
Installing:
  • Read the manual... Yes, I know men are supposedly genetically programmed to ignore the damned things but if you like what hair you have left, go against the grain.. I won't tell anyone... Honest ;)
  • Take your time, go to a zen like happy place and just relax... Don't, for the love of Pete, Paul or little Emma, rush!.. It'll make life easier in the long run.
  • Make sure you prime your cartridges/CIS system properly. That means removing as much air from the cartridges as possible and setting up the reservoirs so that the marriott bottle principle is being properly supported and pressure is equalised to a very slight negative.
Testing:
  • Once the CIS system is installed test it with nozzle checks but don't go crazy on cleaning routines...
  • Nozzle checks are excellent for initial testing. If you can't get a good nozzle check, don't print something (like a picture) to try and force things as your ink is also your coolant so you're risking the equivalent of lots of tiny kettles boiling dry.
  • Ink sometimes requires a little time to settle out air bubbles as much as allow ink to feed into the printhead, etc.. so walking away for an hour or leaving overnight can be the most productive thing you can do.
  • Check the feed lines for signs of air bubbles and, in particular, the direction of flow. If ink is migrating backwards towards the reservoir then you have an air leak somewhere between the ink receiver and the tubing. Don't assume it's the printhead/cartridge interface, it could be a poor seal on the tube/cartridge interface.
  • Try to avoid removing one or more cartridges as you'll immediately introduce air into the cartridge/ink interface which could cause you to step backwards with lines/colours that have been working.

Did I mention patience? You need it...

Overall, a lot of folk ass-u-me that CIS systems mean happy, troublefree printing... *ahem*... While this can be the case in some instances, it's often down to good preparation or pure luck but most times there's a trade off of time to learn the ropes and dealing with problems striking when you least want them to (but that happens to everyone anyway - it's called Sods Law).

Personally I recommend refilling OEM/Original cartridges and (I'll state an interest here) I sell them so I would say that wouldn't I (well that's what you'd think) but it's probably worth noting that I spent 18 months trying to get CIS systems working in Canon printers and eventually I gave up. I love(d) CIS systems, and would have loved to get them working but my experience has taught me that Canon's make you work a LOT harder so I switched to refilling and haven't looked back. But again, that's just me and my experience is out of date so hope the above helps.

Good luck...

Martin

Last edited:
I've got a brand new CIS for the Canon IX6550 from City Ink Express which I bought but never installed, the reason being that I also have the refillable cartridges from CIE and just used them instead. Unfortunately it happens that the Canon will not get used much any more as I also have an Epson 2880 and I have just bought a Epson 4880 Pro too at a good price from ebay.

The ink from CIE can be recommended and has never been an issue for me although I do a head check each month minimum or before printing I have never had a blocked nozzle show with it yet. Value for money it is a great printer for colour stuff and okay for blackish and white.

Thank you Martin and EdBray for the info I think I might go the refillable cartridges way now happy Christmas and new year to you both and thank you again

I've only recently purchased the cis for the canon 6550. Having read the instructions left more confused than ever. Resorted to watching videos on YouTube, absolutely brilliant,made the whole installation so much easier.
I will give a couple of helpful hints, first wear disposable gloves, take your time plan the whole operation out carefully.
2 weeks on, the system is working flawlessly, does exactly what it says on the box. Can already see it saving me a lot of money on replacement cartridges.

The OP (now a few years old!) mentions the iX4000. This is a straight CMYK printer and isn't that good for B&W prints. Great for colour but rather poor for B&W! There may well be a second hand one available for collection when its replacement arrives from Park (Pro100, again, Canon.)

Back