City of London

Great shot, with lovely vibrant colours! Only minor niggle for me is that 'clean the river together' boat/thing in the bottom left under your watermark - if it was mobile (?) I may have waited until it was out of shot. If not I would crop/clone it out I think.

Shame about the boat in the lower left corner other than that it's a superb shot. The walkie talkie building, cheese grater and gherkin all in one shot.

Lovely shot but i agree about the boat. Not even sure how easily you could clone it out taking the reflections in to consideration.

Yeah, fair point that, Daniel - perhaps a recrop is the only answer on this occasion, just a shame to cut short some of those other wonderful light reflections

I like the clean the river together boat :D but do see what you mean
The boat is moored there so....

Thanks for all the comments

H

Last edited:
I don't mind the boat either,great shot:)

Like it. Boat does break up the reflections but doesn't bother me. Wonderful colours and a real Blade Runner feel to it.

Cheers.

Thanks for all your comments

Brian Just passed the London assembly

D7000 with Tamron 28-75 2.8

H

What setting did you use for this? Beautiful shot, I love it

Thanks

Aperture f/11.0
Focal Length 32 mm (ff48mm)
ISO Speed 100

H

Last edited:
That is a stunning shot - really excellent. It would look great as a big print.

That is a stunning shot - really excellent. It would look great as a big print.

Thank you

I think it looks great on my 40" HD TV so think you are right

I need to optimise it for print but think I will get it printed

H

What a great shot with fantastic colours....:clap:

Thanks Mike and Deks***ha

H

Yes very nice shot, nicely exposed, composed, and nice and sharp, the only thing i would possibly change is frame it and move your logo into the frame, only so you can see the whole image, but of course thats a personal choice, it may look better without the boat, but difficult to say, as the logo hides most of it, if you did decide to take it out, cloning may not be the way because of the reflections, it would require another method, which is not too difficult :)

Thanks Tel
Moving the logo is not a problem if I wanted to, I really don't have a problem with the boat so not going to go to the trouble of removing it :)

H

Isn't it funny, but I look at this and it just fills me with horror. The sheer ugliness of that new tower is shocking, the poor old City looks simply awful with all the tacky new high-rise development. As for the photograph, the colours are so garish and unrealistic - how did you acheive them, some kind of HDR tonemapping I guess?

Sorry to be a dissenter Helen, I do accept that I am expressing personal taste, but even if I try to look at this objectively I can't get it.

Isn't it funny, but I look at this and it just fills me with horror. The sheer ugliness of that new tower is shocking, the poor old City looks simply awful with all the tacky new high-rise development. As for the photograph, the colours are so garish and unrealistic - how did you acheive them, some kind of HDR tonemapping I guess?

Sorry to be a dissenter Helen, I do accept that I am expressing personal taste, but even if I try to look at this objectively I can't get it.

:D it's ok I can understand that view, It is a billboard ad look

Not HDR as such but using the brushes in Lr5 to light paint it, clarity, sat, expo and so on then WB dropper to tone it all

H

ps you may prefer my The Tower and Traitors Gate one which is taken from the same spot

Last edited:
Really like this, and you are right, full screen with black background looks good. The colours do look a bit overdone but in this instance, for me, it really works and makes a colourful London which at the moment, looking out of my office window (which is also in your photo), seems a little hard to believe!

Really like this, and you are right, full screen with black background looks good. The colours do look a bit overdone but in this instance, for me, it really works and makes a colourful London which at the moment, looking out of my office window (which is also in your photo), seems a little hard to believe!

Thanks Kelly
I agree we are a bit devoid of colour here in London

Those lucky so and so's in the country

H

Really like this.

Have taken similar shots myself over the years. Where abouts were you perched for this one?

Really like this.

Have taken similar shots myself over the years. Where abouts were you perched for this one?

Thanks

Just by the London assembly across from the Tower of London

H

Thanks Kelly
I agree we are a bit devoid of colour here in London

Those lucky so and so's in the country

H

Luckily, I get to commute home to the countryside :D

I like this a lot. I tried a similar shot but I don't think it was quite dark enough and it didn't come out right!

My composition was nowhere near as good either!

Might have to bring my camera gear to work one day and take a wander over the bridge to do some night stuff. Trouble is, if it's not moving, I can't take it :LOL: I really struggle with anything other than sports

Might have to bring my camera gear to work one day and take a wander over the bridge to do some night stuff. Trouble is, if it's not moving, I can't take it :LOL: I really struggle with anything other than sports

It's easy, a tripod, a deck chair, a coffee or beer ;)
Timer or remote, smart phone to read how to do it on TP or watch on youtube
Point and Shoot
Easy :D

H

ps I think it helps a lot if there are two of you, to watch each others stuff, relaxed and so you don't feel rushed or worried

From that place you can do, The City, The Tower, Tower Bridge and the Shard and the Belfast

I don't like the shard

Last edited:
Back