City Scape, Melbourne (Black & White)

You can reduce the effect by shooting with a wider aperture. The star shapes are caused by the aperture blades. Some lenses are more prone to the stars than others. I'm guessing that your lens has 7 aperture blades (14 point stars). Cokin might still sell filters to create starbursts from point light sources!

Thank you - I will bare that in mind and have a look.

I was wondering if the long exposure had anything to do with the effect

It's caused by your aperture. The wider you go the less they'll intrude. Try shooting between f9-f13. It will reduce the starburst while keeping the image sharp front to back.
For me the image is slightly too dark, under the bridge and the river, and the distortion from shooting wide could do with correction.

It's caused by your aperture. The wider you go the less they'll intrude. Try shooting between f9-f13. It will reduce the starburst while keeping the image sharp front to back.
For me the image is slightly too dark, under the bridge and the river, and the distortion from shooting wide could do with correction.

Thank you Jake - I'll bare that in mind the next time - I'm kinda learning as I was shooting..... also... somthimg i was reading... Having VR switched on whilst on a tripod - can this also effect image quality? at the time i was in the frame of mind of.. arghhh well if its got it may as well use it....

cheers
J

Thank you Jake - I'll bare that in mind the next time - I'm kinda learning as I was shooting..... also... somthimg i was reading... Having VR switched on whilst on a tripod - can this also effect image quality? at the time i was in the frame of mind of.. arghhh well if its got it may as well use it....

cheers
J
Yep VR can cause slight shake, it's not necessary on a tripod unless it's really very windy :)

Back