Classic Air Rifle

Name
Simon Everett
Edit My Images
Yes
This is my 1995 Theoben Olympus air rifle. It wasjust lying on the carpet and the camera was on the tripod balanced on the sofa to get the height to get it all in. I then turned out the lights and tripped the 30 second shutter using the timer. That gave me time to get into position and light the thing with an old AA size mini maglight. F11, 30 seconds to get round the perimeter and light the main points of interest. No major processing, just a bit of clean up (floor needed hoovering!) and curve tweek, then sharpen using the High Pass filter technique.
_DSC6011.jpg

I think that you need to get a little smoother with the lighting as it's a little patchy but not a bad effort for a first attempt, my only real niggle is that I would have liked to have seen the boundary between light and dark to be a little more feathered so that it was not such a definitive boundary between light and then dark :thinking:

Matt
MWHCVT

That's interesting Matt, I preferred the harsher light to the softer one - here is one done with a Cree LED type torch, I didn't bother warming it up, so it is still the daylight (and therefor cooler) balanced light of the torch. It would be easy enough to warm it up to nearer the tungsten type effect.
_DSC6003.jpg

I thought the lack of time, due to the brighter output of the modern torch, rushed me somewhat. Several times i didn't get round the entire subject an dhad to start again. I didn't wnt to risk having start/stop points in the lighting rim. i wanted to do it all in one pass, as seamlessly as possible. It is a fair old length to get round - about 25 feet in total.

Not enough time? Put the camera on bulb, pitch black room, it will only expose the light.
I would try with he gun on a black surface too.

This is an interesting concept...I may give it a go here one of these days.

Back