Classic Motorbike Racing at East Fortune

Name
Dougie
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm not a regular Moto photographer, in fact this is pretty much my first punt at it. My Dad used to race bikes and now rebuilds old ones (mostly Vincent but he is putting together an old Ducati just now) so I go along to meets and auto-jumbles to keep him company. Last time we went to East Fortune I decided to take my camera and found it really enjoyable. Lots of interesting characters and beautiful old bikes. I think I would probably try and get hold of an extender and a monopod next time but after a while I think I got the hang of it. Anyway, the set I put on flickr are here https://www.flickr.com/photos/52531730@N04/sets/72157646770476414/

Some favourites below, feel free to offer critique, I'm always keen to learn and interested in others' opinions about my processing.

15693609951_68c812f5fe_b.jpg

15076173613_b0a8bc6d80_b.jpg

15695721545_aa8c888ddb_b.jpg

15510833190_e8f420b212_b.jpg

15510743830_1987c4e8e6_b.jpg

15693818511_63c23f7d25_b.jpg

15510111648_c424e64fc0_b.jpg

That Vincent outfit went like stink and is also the best photo, although the Rudge is nice too.

All in all, pretty good for your first go.

Thanks for the kind comments! no.3 is the first time I've tried using the motion blur tool in Photoshop. I liked the rider's expression but my angle and shutter speed didn't lend themselves to as blurred a background as was needed to get a feeling of movement. I was kind of stabbing in the dark. The only way I cold get a decent effect from the tool was to create a duplicate layer, cut various combinations of the rider, bike & shadow out and apply the tool to everything that was left around them. It was going into the reject pile until I had a play around - I'm still not sure if it's overdone and I'm not usually in favour of such extensive tweaking but hey, it's reassuring to know some of you liked it :)

Well I for one didn't realise just how much work had gone into that shot of the Vincent outfit - of course now I'm forced to scrutinise it there are a couple of odd lines/shadows going on that I hadn't noticed!!
But I would have waited to see if anyone else had pointed them out rather than coming clean;) - congrats on your honesty Dougie!!
I would have enjoyed the event, hmmmmmm.........there's always next year.

cheers, cw

Now you've said that I can see there is a little shadow/light that looks slightly off, but I doubt most people would ever know. Its a great image, worth saving for the expression. This could lead to a new game of guess the motion blur or photoshop ;)

I think the give-away is that you can see through the front and back tyres. They are transparent and you can see the blur lines through them. And under the front light. Still cracking shots though.

Back