Cleaning advice sought

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
After taking the following pic the other day I noticed just how many spots/blemishes there are on my pics........

3274471090_6f26f68018.jpg

and I was wondering if anyone specializes in cleaning the ?mirror if thats whats causing it.
Ive seen a thread on cleaning it yourself but cleaning anything has never been my strong suit let alone an expensive camera. :shake:

ps, please ignore the lens flare

its the sensor that needs cleaning.

Lots of methods on here if you search for sensor cleaning, i would explain it but the others do it much better than me :)

Have a good read through this article by a pro camera tech before you decide which method you prefer.

CLICKY

I use an Arctic Butterfly brush and haven't had to resort to any wet cleaning yet.

You may find that a good blow with a Blower may clean off much of the dust. Do it with the camera in sensor cleaning mode and with the camera pointing down. You may have to repeat it a few times.

If that fails I'm with CT on the Arctic Butterfly option.

Thanks for the quick replies - given my current skill levels (zero) is this something I can really bugger up and ruin the camera? cos thats why I was wondering if a camera shop did it.

Calumet in Manchester have sensor cleaning clinics on Fridays.

Unit 4,
Downing Street Industrial Estate,
Charlton Place
Manchester M12 6HH
0161 274 4455
M-Sat. 9 to 5:30

i'am sure the 400d has a sensor cleaning mode

The sensor cleaning mode simply opens the shutter and keeps it open, so that you can clean the sensor. It doesn't have the vibrating filter as the later range of cameras have

^ the 400d does have the vibrating self cleaning sensor. Everytime you switch off the camera it cleans itself. The mode is switched on by default, but if it might be worth checking the settings to make sure it hasnt been turned off.

How effective it is at cleaning off the bigger particles I am not sure, but in the 15 months or so I've had the camera I've not once seen any dirt/spots on the sensor...

Have you had your camera since new?

Hi Jim - not had it since new but the camera had less than 300 shots it total when i got it. I think the spots have been getting worse so is probably my fault (though blaming someone else is something i'm ready to do in a flash).

The cleaning sensor is switched on, so it looks like a trip to Calumat {thanks Chappers}.

Are you sure it's not flare? they look like aperture shaped blobs to me.

Back