Cleaning dust spots

Name
Liam
Edit My Images
Yes
I have started to get a few dust spots on my sensor and can see them through my viewfinder,
I’ve never had to clean any of my cameras for dust before so I’m quite cautious to do it for the first time,
I understand dust spots can be removed in editing but I’d prefer if they were physically gone,
I don’t want to touch the camera with any fluids or cleaning swabs,
Will a rocket air blower do the trick ?
Is there a special type I need such as one with a filter to stop it sucking in dust and then re blowing it into the camera,
And any special way to use one,
Thanks for any help

Dust bunnies via the viewfinder are not on the sensor. They will be either in front or behind the focus screen or on the mirror. A rocket blower used carefully might help.

Liam

The question you need to answer is.........on the pictures as viewed on the computer do you see evidence of dust spots?

If yes then sensor needs a clean ~ rocket blower in the first instance to see if that method gets rid of it/them.

If no, then the mirror, mirror box area and the undersurface of the Pentaprism needs a good blow out with a rocket blower.

Note ~ based on your statement and if sensor dust confirmed then you will need to do both of the above........but start by blowing out the mirror area etc because if that is dusty and you go straight to sensor cleaning you will likely end up with more dust than you started with on the sensor!

Based on your previous posts and your information page you have a D7500, therefore you are not seeing sensor dust in your viewfinder.

Thanks for the replies,
Here is a pic that describes it,
I can see it in the viewfinder and it also shows at the same point on my photos,
Maybe not much but it’s annoying now I know it’s there,

I think you are confused, when you look through the viewfinder on your camera you are not seeing anything on the sensor, you are seeing an image (light) that has passed through the lens, bounced of mirrors, prisms etc (you don't have an EVF). So if you are seeing anything there then that will be as the first reply said or you need to clean your glasses.

The spec that is on your photo would be on the sensor but that is not what you are seeing, if it's in the same place it will be a coincidence.

So you have 2 things to clean, a blower is always a good place to start as long as you don't blow more dust into it.

There's plenty on videos on youtube on how to do it. But get used to it as it will happen again or get worse.

Thanks for the replies,
Here is a pic that describes it,
I can see it in the viewfinder and it also shows at the same point on my photos,
Maybe not much but it’s annoying now I know it’s there,

92FDE550-87F1-4D2D-B8F7-6C51BC5957A8 by Liam Dobinson, on Flickr

Hmm!

As @Jase says on your D7500 you are looking at the optical view not what the sensor is 'seeing'......so two thoughts.

The dust spot on the sensor has a coincidental similar bit of dust somewhere on the mirror/base of Pentaprism. Doubly annoying but I surmise could occur???

Or, and forgive me if I ask the obvious as you would not be the first person who mixes descriptions about the "viewfinder"............as noted the viewfinder is the one where you place one eye holding camera at your face (the OVF). However, when you say viewfinder in the case you describe (dust visible in 'viewfinder' and on image in same place on image) are you referring to use of Live view? Usng Liveview you are indeed looking at what the sensor will record!

Hope that makes sense and do say are you saying viewfinder to describe both the OVF and liveview???

PS forgot to say ~ nice picture of a Tall Ship with sails stowed (at anchor?)

Last edited:
Liam.
as above, if you can see it through the viewfinder, it won’t appear in the image as the camera uses a different optical path.

That aside, a rocket blower will maybe clear the dust you’re seeing in the viewfinder, and you’ll need to look into cleaning your sensor.

For info: you’ll notice it shows up only at smaller apertures (bigger f no’s) I rarely shoot at those so have no idea how mucky my sensors might be.

Hmm!

As @Jase says on your D7500 you are looking at the optical view not what the sensor is 'seeing'......so two thoughts.

The dust spot on the sensor has a coincidental similar bit of dust somewhere on the mirror/base of Pentaprism. Doubly annoying but I surmise could occur???

Or, and forgive me if I ask the obvious as you would not be the first person who mixes descriptions about the "viewfinder"............as noted the viewfinder is the one where you place one eye holding camera at your face (the OVF). However, when you say viewfinder in the case you describe (dust visible in 'viewfinder' and on image in same place on image) are you referring to use of Live view? Usng Liveview you are indeed looking at what the sensor will record!

Hope that makes sense and do say are you saying viewfinder to describe both the OVF and liveview???

PS forgot to say ~ nice picture of a Tall Ship with sails stowed (at anchor?)
Cheers for that,
I do mean in the eyepiece I can see it and it shows the same place in the picture once viewed on the computer,
As for live view then that is a good call,
I haven’t tried it on that yet to check it’s visible on that too,
I wouldn’t of thought until you said,
The tall ship was leaving Sunderland harbour with another 20 or so,
Yeah it was at anchor too

Liam.
as above, if you can see it through the viewfinder, it won’t appear in the image as the camera uses a different optical path.

That aside, a rocket blower will maybe clear the dust you’re seeing in the viewfinder, and you’ll need to look into cleaning your sensor.

For info: you’ll notice it shows up only at smaller apertures (bigger f no’s) I rarely shoot at those so have no idea how mucky my sensors might be.
Cheers Phil,
I’ll invest in a rocket blower,
Any imparticular variant I should be looking at or are they pretty much the same whichever I get

Cheers for that,
I do mean in the eyepiece I can see it and it shows the same place in the picture once viewed on the computer,
just to reiterate what others have said, it has to be a coincidence as the sensor isn't what you look at in the viewfinder. there must be dust/dirt on or in both areas

Cheers for that,

Right, as per my original post reply you need to use a blower to clean out the mirror/mirror box/base of Pentaprism area. Then do the sensor.

As mentioned, you will find (many) videos online as to how to go about it.

In regard to dust visible in the viewfinder ~ I have read of a situation where cameras that have a Pentamirror rather than a Pentaprism that dust can get into/trapped where user cleaning cannot get at. So with such dust you either have to live with or pay for a service centre to clean it!!!
NB subject to checking I have no idea whether your D7500 has a Pentamirror or Pentaprism?

Cheers Phil,
I’ll invest in a rocket blower,
Any imparticular variant I should be looking at or are they pretty much the same whichever I get

The Giotto Rocket Blower with its one way valve is the minimum grade and I keep one in the kit bag in its own plastic bag to minimise dust contamination. At home I keep my sensor cleaning kit together with a blower that both a one way valve and a filter element. (Can't remember the make right now???)

Cheers for that
I’ll get hold of a Giotto one
Then I’ll have a pop at it see if I can shift it
Thanks again
Right, as per my original post reply you need to use a blower to clean out the mirror/mirror box/base of Pentaprism area. Then do the sensor.

As mentioned, you will find (many) videos online as to how to go about it.

In regard to dust visible in the viewfinder ~ I have read of a situation where cameras that have a Pentamirror rather than a Pentaprism that dust can get into/trapped where user cleaning cannot get at. So with such dust you either have to live with or pay for a service centre to clean it!!!
NB subject to checking I have no idea whether your D7500 has a Pentamirror or Pentaprism?

The Giotto Rocket Blower with its one way valve is the minimum grade and I keep one in the kit bag in its own plastic bag to minimise dust contamination. At home I keep my sensor cleaning kit together with a blower that both a one way valve and a filter element. (Can't remember the make right now???)

FWIW

Checked the Nikon site and the D7500 does have a Pentaprism not the more budget level Pentamirror.

Cheers for that
I’ll get hold of a Giotto one
Then I’ll have a pop at it see if I can shift it
Thanks again

The blower has a good chance at a spot in the mirror box, slightly less chance at the dust on the sensor.

But you seem to have a fixation on the dust you see in the VF anyway which is of no consequence.

Back