Beginner Cleaning kit recommendations?

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
One thing I've been meaning to buy since getting my DSLR is a cleaning kit. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to buy please?

A little background:

I already have a decent air-blower and some sensor cleaning swabs / fluid (Visible Dust ones) from when I had to remove some dust spots a while back, so I'm covered for those.
I have UV filters on my lenses, so the actual front element of the lens is mostly kept clean.
Apart from the stuff mentioned above, I just tend to use a microfibre cloth that I got with some spectacles to remove dust specs and the odd accidental finger mark from the front of the filters.

I've seen Lenspen products for both lenses and filters. Are these significantly different in what they do, or would one or the other suffice if I got a more significant pice of grease or something on the front of the filter (or lens)?

I've been ok so far, but I wouldn't want a day out to be spoiled because I'm unable to remove an unexpected mark on the lens or something. :)

Thanks.

Looks like you have all bases covered. I assume you don't normally carry the sensor cleaning kit with you when you are out and about so the only thing I can think of that might help a with a very difficult mark on the lens is some lens cleaning fluid.

However, most of the time I find very little needs to be done to the front element of a lens. Perhaps I've been lucky but I have never needed any more than a quick go with the air blower when I've been out.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

All I usually carry with me is a lens cloth (if travelling light), or if I take my bigger bag, then I'll have my blower with me too. Is there any brand of lens cleaning fluid that's recommended? The reason I ask is that I once bought some spectacles cleaning fluid (from an opticians) and it always resulted in smears on my glasses after use, which is obviously not a desirable thing to do to a camera lens. :)

Cheers.

Sorry I can't be any help here because if I clean a lens, which very rarely happens, the fluid I use is the same stuff as I use on my specs and sometimes I just breathe on the lens and give it a quick wipe.

Dave

I use glass cleaner from ASDA/Tesco the stuff in the squirty bottle. Spray a bit onto a soft tissue and clean the lens. Polish up with soft cloth.
Please don't tell how bad this is before you try it as it it works extremely well. Try it on a pair of greasy specs to see what I mean.

Back