Cleaning Lenses and Filters

Edit My Images
Yes
I've always been told microfibre cloths are best, but I find they're leaving sort of little fibres on the glass. Any ideas?

I use a rocket blower, followed by cleaning with Baader Optical Wonder Fluid. I've used this on all my optics including Astronomy gear and it's great stuff.

I've always been told microfibre cloths are best, but I find they're leaving sort of little fibres on the glass. Any ideas?

I don't get that problem with microfibre cloths. Perhaps there is a quality issue with the cloth you have.

I've got 3 different cloths and they all do the same. :(

There's very fine fibres left on the glass that you can see if you hold it up to light.

I've always used the Jessops basic lens cloths, never had a problem.

I use a rocket blower, followed by cleaning with Baader Optical Wonder Fluid. I've used this on all my optics including Astronomy gear and it's great stuff.

Ditto. Or a huff and a rub with a microfibre cloth if it isn't too dirty.

A good microfibre cloth shouldn't leave fibres on your optics. I would bin it and get another - you get a decent one free with the aforementioned Wonder Fluid. (y)

Might be the type of microfibre cloth your using. (y)

I use the lens cleaning cloth that came with my wife's new pair of glassess - she hasn't realised I've "borrowed" it yet :LOL: - no problems what so ever when cleaning

Although I used to get very anal about keeping lenses spotless, after a few years in this job I just kind of gave up. Iraq and Afghanistan have provided some of the most challenging working environments I've ever come across...heat and dust in the summer months, freezing cold and rain/snow in winter...

Nowadays I use a cheap cotton cloth on the filters and 'proper' lens cloths and army-issue Sylvit cloths http://www.globalmilitarysupplies.co.uk/inc/sdetail/2234 (well-washed frequently) on the front and rear elements themselves.
Small bits of dust have no noticable effect and major dust/fine-sand get blown off whenever I notice.
When travelling in the back of open vehicles in the desert I generally wrap an issued sweat-rag (cotton) or shemagh over the front element to minimise the amount of dust that settles...

For major dust and dirt I use a 1.5" paintbrush to get big boulders off...
After each assignment, I brush off as much dust as possible then using a sweat-rag soaked in water, wash the exterior of lenses and cameras as thoroughly as possible, and a wetted toothbrush to clean off the rubber grips...

Desert dirt combined with sweat from hands and face (you tend to drip onto the eyepiece and down the camera-back when shooting), turns into a kind of concrete if left too long...

I've just tried 4 different clothes and all still leave fibres, or at least won't get the fibres off that were there from before. :(

I've just tried 4 different clothes and all still leave fibres, or at least won't get the fibres off that were there from before. :(

Pop into your local decent opticians and ask about the cloths they use for cleaning glassess - I think you'll find they may well be different.

My current one is like a piece of "satin" cloth, made by Kodak. (y)

I use isopropyl alcohol and a cloth to remove greasy marks and then a brush like this to remove the fibres left by the cloth.

Microfibre cloths are great if you're not fussy about keeping your lenses in good condition. They're very good at picking up lots of tiny dust and grit particles, which you can then grind into the surface of your lens.

Microfibre cloths are great if you're not fussy about keeping your lenses in good condition. They're very good at picking up lots of tiny dust and grit particles, which you can then grind into the surface of your lens.

So what do you do?

I have been told that KFC handwipes are ideal for the job.

They get rid of greasy marks and leave no streaks or residue. And you can pick them up free by the handful.

I haven't tried it yet though. Would they cause any damage to the lens?
They seem identical to some glasses cleaning wipes that I bought.

Microfibre cloths are great if you're not fussy about keeping your lenses in good condition

Yikes, I have always used a Microfibre... high quality ones from Wilkos IIRC. I only use them on the front of the lens though (have never cleaned a back) and from some pics I've seen, you seem to be able to scratch and even break that bit of glass without it affecting image quality. Begs the question why it's there? Keep out dirt etc from the important bits of glass?

I just use a rocket blower. Don't really want to touch the front element. Usually a rocket blower is enough.

I first use a rocket blower and then a LensPen, it seems to work very well. For years I used microfibre cloths but a Focus earlier this year was given a LensPen demo, always wondered if they worked but now I'm happy with them.

Dont keep us in suspenders what do you use good sir:help:

Although I used to get very anal about keeping lenses spotless, after a few years in this job I just kind of gave up. Iraq and Afghanistan have provided some of the most challenging working environments I've ever come across...heat and dust in the summer months, freezing cold and rain/snow in winter...

Now thats field testing for you:LOL:

i use a makeup brush to remove the dust and glasses wipes from aldi to get any smears off without any problem then if they leave a streak i use a very clean cotton cloth to just wipe the smear off gently

the make up brush i got from boots in a set for £5 for 5 assorted brushes after trying to buy something in jessops but gave up because of the slow service lol

Since you asked .... Basically, we try never to touch the glass with anything that might have dust or grit on it. So we get through huge quantities of single-use wipes, which we buy in bulk - though pretty much any lens tissue would do the same job. 90% of the time a good quality wipe and a bit of steamy breath is all it takes, even for the disgusting ones where some customer has sneezed on the lens. For the really tough cases we'll use isopropyl alcohol (or some other cleaning fluid), again on single-use wipes.

I had the same problem with a new cloth. A good wash got all the loose fibres off; now it works a treat.

After washing a MF cloth, it can harden slightly and some new ones aren't as soft as they look or feel. To make sure its less likely to scratch a lens, try wiping it over a blank cd first. If it marks the disc, it may well mark a lens or coating.

I use a rocket blower to get rid of most of the dust/little hairs and use the brush side of my lens pen to sweep any stubborn stuff off.

If there's any greasy marks I just use the carbon side of the lens pen after the above. that way nothing can get grinded onto the front element.

I tried the lens pens after getting fed up with fibres from the microfibre cloth.
They're only a fiver so worth a go :)

Common sense must prevail. Remove the dust first, then consider if you really need to go any further in the environment you are in. Get home and do a proper job.

Graham

Never heard of that one before, the inherent nature of MF clothes hook in the dust particles. The only way to release them is to wash thoroughly.

What about one of these:

cab1.jpg

That will sort it and I have one for sale here

Back