Cleaning my Sensor

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

i have read some of the threads that have come up in the search, but has anyone used the below kit for cleaning your sensor?

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1024240 or is there anything really simple and not too expensive?

i checked my sensor and this is what i have found :(
i have tried a rocket blower but that hasnt worked.

IMG_9650.jpg

Cheers

Chris

Hi,

i have read some of the threads that have come up in the search, but has anyone used the below kit for cleaning your sensor?

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1024240 or is there anything really simple and not too expensive?

i checked my sensor and this is what i have found :(
i have tried a rocket blower but that hasnt worked.

Cheers

Chris

Looks like you took a picture of a piece of used blotting paper. It's much better to use plain white paper... :LOL:

Personally I'd get it professionally done... Then check it in the store where you get it done to make sure they do a good job (y)

that does look like pollen so a 'wet'* clean is probably needed. If you have read my cleaning thread you can buy the components of that kit and a lot more for not much more money and have a lifetimes supply.

For dirt like yours I'd expect to use 4 or 6 swabs and they are not reusable so the pad needs replacing each time. Don't know if the covering on the spatulas in that kit come off for replacement.

*wet means barely damp. 1 drop of E2 on a swab and allowed to soak in for 10 seconds or so is enough.

Thanks for the reply, i know i was shocked how bad it was, but then again i have had the camera over a year and only ever used the rocket blower on it, so about time it needs a good clean.

Great read Robert.
think i will buy some PEC-PADS and Eclipse Fluid, from warehouse express, the eclipse fluid on warehouse express... is that the E2 kind, it doesnt say?
just need to find some applicators (dont use ebay)

Thanks.

:bang::bang: im being a numpty, the E2 kind was two lines down.

Is there anything i should be worried about doing it myself, or just forget what everyone says and get on with it?

Cheers.

EDIT, oh and the applicators.... can they just be any kind that i can get from a craft shop? or do they have to be a special kind.

If you are the sort of person that naturally breaks things then let someone else do it. If you can work cleanly and calmly then you will wonder what all the fuss was about :)

pollen tends to smear a little at first so the first wipe may well make it worse before it gets better.

If you are the sort of person that naturally breaks things then let someone else do it. If you can work cleanly and calmly then you will wonder what all the fuss was about :)

pollen tends to smear a little at first so the first wipe may well make it worse before it gets better.

I should be ok, i just like to get things over and done with, so will just have to slow down and take my time. Cheers Robert.

Which method did you use to get that picture?

Took a picture of a white sheet of paper @ f/22, then took to photoshop and auto levels.

That is quite some nasty dirt you have there.

If you do it yourself be careful not to touch the walls surrounding the sensor. :nono: I did it and couldn't initially work out why my sensor was getting dirtier. :bonk: The walls of the chamber were scraping the pad, and while it may be lint free, stuff will come off if you rub it against something.

The cleaning all worked out fine though once I had realised my mistake. :woot:

Went through more pads than I needed to the 1st time, but it was a lesson learned. Next time it'll be a lot easier. ;)

The Rocket Air blower worked for cleaning my sensor for 2-3 years. It was only when I had some dried liquid (somehow) that I had to resort to a wet clean.

RobertP - I've just read through your tutorial on sensor cleaning and it grieves me to have to say that you've made a technical error that has gone unquestioned or corrected all these years. Post no 3 towards the bottom you say "If you do have a stubborn spot say top left in the picture remember it will be bottom right on the sensor." This is incorrect. A spot top left of the picture will be bottom left on the sensor. The left and right remain the same, only the top and bottom is reversed.

Look here on the Copperhill site itself

http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=Tutorials5

I've had this argument before with people in a thread back in February, with people showing diagrams of lenses and light paths crossing over etc. It took me a while to remember where I saw it and to find back then, but now I have it readily to hand. This link killed the argument stone dead and everybody went quiet.

:)

Well I suppose I am correct until you turn the camera over to view the face of the sensor. The lens light path diagrams can't be argued with but turning the camera over to look at the sensor does reverse left and right.

I'll add something now to correct it.

I used DustAid Platinum for my 5D and happy with the results. It is a low-tack silicon pad that picks up dust from the sensor without leaving any residue.

That said it is not a wet clean so more of a maintenance clean than removing anything stubborn. If any of yours is not just dust but maybe pollen or oil would recommend a professional clean...

I cleaned my sensor a week or so back, using the pad (after the blower wasn't shifting some blobs). I followed the instructions to put 3/4 drops of the fluid on. That was way too much. As RobertP mentions 1 drop and let it soak in for 10 seconds. Other wise you'll get smears. Mine is still not completely clear, but much better than it was.

Canon (elstree) charge £20 for a 1d (1.3) sensor clean and £30 for a full frame 1ds/5D clean.

Cheers Everyone, well i have bought the E2 Fluid and PEC-Pads from Warehouse Express, silly easter weekend means i wont be able to clean it till tuesday.

thanks for all the tips... and cheers robert, will definitely keep that tutorial by my side.(y)

Chris

Evening all,

well tonight i gave my sensor a clean, not come out perfect yet... but its better than it was.

@f22

sensor.jpg

and since i dont really go over f10 much this is what f10 looks like.
sensorf10.jpg

Thanks very much everyone... especially RobertP, kept your tutorial guide infront of me.

Needed this camera cleaner for a rally in a weeks time, so after that i will give it another go and hope i can get all of it off.

Chris.

Nice work!!!
I wish I could get mine that clean :bang:

Roberts method is ace, and it works very well.

Very interesting read RobertP i am a newbie here and with camera as well, my Canon eos 1000d is not a year old yet but for future time will come i might need that good tutorial so its stored away for when needed TY and kind regards Hope the pics turn out nice and clean after the rally Chris.

Back