Cleaning the legs on Manfrotto 055XPROB???

^^^^
Very useful link - Now bookmarked.

Last edited:
I have just had a look at this link and it is not obvious to me where the video is as it is in mandarin [or similar]. It would be good to see something. The one I found yesterday suggested using a power tool to dismantle the whole thing. I have one sandy joint that I need to open...

I have just had a look at this link and it is not obvious to me where the video is as it is in mandarin [or similar]. It would be good to see something. The one I found yesterday suggested using a power tool to dismantle the whole thing. I have one sandy joint that I need to open...

Power tool? You just take apart each lever/twist lock, then thoroughly clean and lubricate where appropriate. Clip locks are considerably easier to clean as you don't have a fine thread which is difficult to clean out.

It's not especially fun but usually straightforward.

Haven’t got tripod to hand so just a specific screwdriver then or...? I can do my 3LT ones, no probs but they simply unscrew.

Haven’t got tripod to hand so just a specific screwdriver then or...? I can do my 3LT ones, no probs but they simply unscrew.

Should be a Phillips, they come apart pretty easily unless you've really gunked it up and left it to go hard.

Not sure I have done that - I have only taken to using this again after I found the 3LT a bit fiddly for cleaning. I have washed it every time [not many, maybe 3 or 4] that it has been on sand. It hasn't been in mud. Thanks. will check how the joints look and have a go when I get back home.

This link is pretty good very similar to the Manfrotto all you need is a T25 screwdriver to strip the tripod. In this video he uses Pec Pads for cleaning but I used silicone spray which works great.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE6Phbdn5WM

I've got some Loctite cleaner here but I'm a bit dubious about using it (on the plastic parts) but do have some silicone spray on order.

Is silicone the best thing to use for inside the legs to help lubricate too?

This tool comes with the Manfrotto 055xprob

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1171.JPG

I cleaned mine yesterday after getting inundated with sand and seawater. The legs separated easily, but I needed a 'star head' attachment for my screw driver. Cleaned it with fresh water and a soft cloth, before lubricating everything and a spray with WD40 to get any remaining moisture out of where it shouldn't be. The legs can only go back together one way, and there was a 'stop' for how far the legs inserted into each other and where the clips should be. I found it much easier to reassemble (not that it was hard) with the legs in the extended position.

The little tool above was no help in taking the legs apart in my experience. It does however allow easy adjustment of how much pressure is need to close the clips at whatever height you want the tripod set at.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Simon.

Everyone should invest in a halfway decent screwdriver and ratchet set, you can pretty much take apart almost anything easily between those two tools, they'll probably cost less than a UV filter and with light use should last a lifetime.

Back