Cleaning your lens

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Ladies and Gents

I see quite a bit about clearning sensors, but what is the best way to clean your lens and what cleansers should you use.

I am selling a few of my dads old Miranda Lens on ebay and want them to look good.

Thanks Mike

A decent microfibre cloth should do it, if there's anything other than dust on them use the same eclipse fluid as for sensor cleaning.

IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) for the glass bits.
It evaporates quickly and doesn't leave a residue.
Blow or brush the dust off first though before applying it.

Bought a bottle of Jessops lens cleaner and that's all it is.
Chemists/Maplins etc sell it cheaper and in bigger quantities.

Bachs said:
IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) for the glass bits.
It evaporates quickly and doesn't leave a residue.
Blow or brush the dust off first though before applying it.

Bought a bottle of Jessops lens cleaner and that's all it is.
Chemists/Maplins etc sell it cheaper and in bigger quantities.

Closet chemist ? :laugh1:

Seriously - great tip though ! Is this better than proprietary Eclipse ? :ponders:

I used to work for Hoya lens, they used IPA for cleaning all the ophthalmic lenses they manufactured. It's very good (I use it 'sparingly', on my own camera lenses). I couldn't say if it's better than Eclipse though, as I've never used it.

Mike

Venomator said:
Closet chemist ? :laugh1:

Seriously - great tip though ! Is this better than proprietary Eclipse ? :ponders:

My guess is that Eclipse is mostly ipa anyway.

Steep said:
My guess is that Eclipse is mostly ipa anyway.

Eclipse is refined Methanol according to this site.
http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/faq.html

Certainly not IPA, IPA is fairly safe stuff, Methanol melts all kinds of things.

I made to mistake of laying the top off an eclipse bottle on our dining room table while swabbing a sensor, left a white ring right through to the wood :(

Wife wanted a new table anyway..........

Mark.

Mark Grant said:
Wife wanted a new table anyway..........

You should have gotten a French Polishers from the Yellow Pages :D

I have a bottle of Eclipse here and as yet it's unopened (not needed to clean my sensor yet), and after heeding everyone's warnings of

"Whatever you do, don't leave the lid off, it evaporates"...I'm getting worried, the bottle is decidedly light, and the seal isn't even broken yet...lol

Back