Cleaning?

Edit My Images
Yes
I've just been looking at lens cleaning equipment on eBay and it just caused me to wonder what parts, how often and what with should I clean my camera?

Is cleaning even necessary if I always ensure caps are on ect?

Thanks,
Josh.

I normally clean the rear element of a lens with quick blow with the rocket blower before putting it on so that i dont import crap that'll wind up on the sensor.

On the front element i usually either blower it or breathe on it and clean it with a microfibre cloth (or the front of my tee shirt tbh :LOL: )

The sensor i clean when necessary with an artic butterfly

and i sometimes clean the electrical contacts on lenses and body (and hotsshoe/flashfoot) by rubbing gently with a pencil eraser - again only as required.

Front element as often as it needs, which could be at the start of every day and several times during it, or it could be much less frequently but I always check it the before taking the first shot and frequently as I go along - it depends on the environment. If there's dust, grit or salt spray in the environment I'll put a filter on. I have come across a couple of photographers that would never clean their front element and were frightened of even cleaning a £20 filter that had been put on by the shop.

Check the rear element whenever you change lens. If you're always quick to put the rear cap on and avoid changing lens in dusty environments it doesn't need a brush/blow very often. Hama lens pen does the job for both front and rear element nicely.

I clean the sensor 2 or 3 times per year, or whenever dust bunnies start to appear in shots. I use the Delkin wet swab system with the loupe.

Clean contacts occasionally, but I've never had a problem with these.

Wipe the camera body and/or lens body with a barely moist cloth if it needs it.

I have no need to worry yet then, I'll just buy a few microfibre cloths to wipe the front :)

I have no need to worry yet then, I'll just buy a few microfibre cloths to wipe the front :)

I use the optical very fine micro cloths you can get from the opticians (not the impregnated ones) - works a treat.

Make sure there is nothing on the front of the lens that will scratch before you use a cloth on ...

I bought a kits which has lens cleaning solution, some sort of brush, microfibre, a squeezey blower. Had the camera since the 23rd of December and only cleaned the lens once because of my niece putting a finger print on it on Christmas day.

Not sure on using the brush now i've read about these cleaning pens.

The rocket blower is an absolute must in my honest opinion. Ever since ive had it, its worked flawless and i wouldnt use anything else now. For the front element i use special cloths. I find micro fibre one dont work that well at all. They may look like it but in reality it doesnt work for me.

I just use a lenspen - fabulous bit of kit that you can just keep in the bag without having to worry about getting grit in it.

I have a lenspen and love it, the carbon end gets rid of finger prints so easily!

Lenspen is great - has a blower end and fibre end that does the job brilliantly. Not braved cleaning any sensors though!

What are these 'special cloths' called? :p

:LOL: They are NASA style special, cant give away too much :LOL:

I use a cloth i got in a random bit of cleaning kit for an lcd screen, im not sure what kind it is but it works well.

Again, i have a lenspen and do not rate them, using the carbon end seems to leave marks also, just look at the front element in sunlight at different angles.

A rocket blower is an essential bit of kit for lens glass. Don't go overboard on cleaning every microscopic bit of dust off the front element if the blower won't remove it. Save it up until the end of the day then clean it off before putting the lens away. It has to be seriously dusty for it to begin to notice on your photos. For stubborn crud or, dread the thought, fingerprints, residue-free glass cleaning spirit on a soft clean tissue works ok for me but the tissue must be damp or it'll risk scratching the lens coating.

I've got a Lenspen cause I had a couple of spots on my 100-400 L which came off straight away with it. Other than that a quick blow with a rocket blower on the rear element and a quick wipe with a microfibre cloth if the front element is a bit dusty.
I've had a 550D for over a year now and a 7D and 5D2 for a few months and never had dust on the sensors. I keep checking but the photos are clear. The only other problem was a bit of dust and a small hair on the mirror of my 5D2 which I wiped very gently with a microfibre cloth and I've had no problems since. If your careful changing lenses you shouldn't have many problems.
As for filters, I only ever use them if I'm shooting in a dusty, sandy or wet environment and then it's just a microfibre cloth at the end of the shoot. I always have a look at the end of every shoot when I'm packing away to see if anything needs a clean though.

It looks like I should be investing in a lens pen too then :p I feel silly now, trying to keep a 20D in good condition when there's people with equipment worth >£1,000 :puke:

rizla01 said:
Are impregnated tissues to be avoided?

You need to make sure they are okay to use on lenses that have coatings on.

I generally stay away from them, to be on the safe side,

Oh!!

Thanks for that.

Hopefully no damage done but will avoid in future

I feel silly now, trying to keep a 20D in good condition when there's people with equipment worth >£1,000 :puke:

I wouldnt worry bout it - kit's kit - and my 20D was £750 when i bought it new (about 10 years ago) - its lasted this long through being looked after.

Ahh I have a cure for that - its known as marriage :LOL:

After a head gasket on my van, and new brake discs on swimbos focus my intention to buy a 7D vhas been shelved - I might get a second user 40D (as my even older 300D is pretty much dead) in the not to distant future.

Back