Beginner Clear this up for me please.

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
When I started shooting "running bodies" at fell and road races, I used shutter priority on my Nikon D7000. Then I changed over to aperture priority and set a minimum shutter speed. Problem was/is ... after the quicker runners went by, I wanted to change the shutter speed for the slower ones. I tend to shoot around f4 to isolate people from the background.
Am I totally thick, not TOO quick with the reply please.
If I set the ISO to Auto and 3200 max, can't I control the aperture AND the shutter speed on manual?
If so, why has it taken me 3 years plus to think of this?
If not, WHY?

I use manual on my D500 with auto iso keeping the aperture setting unchanged and adjusting the shutter speed for different subjects and auto iso keeping balance so to speak.

If so, why has it taken me 3 years plus to think of this?
If not, WHY?

Because!

It can be difficult to spot an obvious answer - I can't be the only person to have put my specs on to look for... my specs! :wideyed:

Stephen, i have done the same, road and fell races using a canon 60d and lens usually at f4. Regardless of the speed of the runner i always kept shutter at 1/500, ensuring sharp imagez for my 17-50 and 70-200 lens. Fod the hassle theres no point reducing shutter for slower runners.

I shoot in raw and pp in lightroom. I used to shoot auto iso but changed to full manual exposure and set everything myself. I found that during a race, depending on where the runner was, if they filled the frame, if they were backlit or side lit or if they were dressed all black or flourescent yellow all these factors could make a huge difference to the exposure the camera chose (i use centre weighted or evaluative metering). I could hav to increase the ev on one shot by .75 and decrease another by .5 just to get them somewhere the same. Made for a lot of work pp. Now i expose for the runners face and only change if i reposition or the weather changes drastically.

It can be difficult to spot an obvious answer - I can't be the only person to have put my specs on to look for... my specs! :wideyed:
Not sure about that Nod, but sometimes I try to put my specs on even when wearing my specs!

And to the OP... yes I do similar - in “manual” and select around 1/1000 and f/8 and Auto ISO - to photograph dogs running.

Last edited:
Hi Stephen. Yes I too learn't about those settings after owning my camera for around 5 years ;-) If you knew me you'd know that's normal for me though !!!!
Took a look at the photos they are great all that mud water and colouful clothing work a treat.
Obviously great camera skills too.

Gaz

@cmcm789 Using Auto ISO and the ability to change aperture and speed quickly made it so much easier than going into menus. Why don't you tube sports photographers tell you this? They probably do but not come across one yet.

@cmcm789 Using Auto ISO and the ability to change aperture and speed quickly made it so much easier than going into menus. Why don't you tube sports photographers tell you this? They probably do but not come across one yet.

The easiest way of doing this varies between camera brands, and even sometimes between camera models. I hesitate to suggest such a controversial approach, but this is the kind of thing that is often explained in the camera manual that came in the same box as your camera :)

I am a non-reader. My brain function is set to kinaesthetic. I'll have a look, but I don't think it has a sports section which points this out. Tends to lean more towards use of shutter speed.

Within weeks of purchasing my 1st DSLR last year I searched "Motorsports Photography Settings" in Youtube, because I wanted to know what settings to use for ... well you can guess, and this one came up pretty near the top of the list :-

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqJ_jUXzc0E

The key advice in this vid is, if you have Auto-ISO, to enable it and select Manual mode, so that's what I did.

I use it sparingly however as on my camera (a lowly D3300) setting aperture in Manual mode requires a combination of the exposure compensation button + command dial, which means no exposure compensation available, which is a pain if shooting into the sun for example.

Back