Cliff Richard Going for it

Which is exactly the same thing, just using more words :)

No it's not. the first is someone saying they're innocent but I know better, the second is they're innocent until proven otherwise.

No it's not. the first is someone saying they're innocent but I know better, the second is they're innocent until proven otherwise.

You're not terribly familiar with the law, are you?
It means no such thing.

As per usual, too many self appointed judge and jury about here, too many people saying "innocent until proven guilty but... " A person is innocent full stop until they're proved otherwise.

FTFR (fixed that for Ruth)

Thanks, but I think I read it just fine.

There's not a lot to misread in either of the posts I quoted, quote marks or not.

And yet you still managed to get it so wrong.

Do you know he is a homosexual for sure?
This...
... now he lives with his Priest "friend" Sorry Former priest John McElynn who is his constant companion.

In answer to question who knows for sure...

The rumour is that one of the tabloids was going to do an expose on him (it would have been a scandal at the time) and that he 'found God' to clean up his image, but there's only circumstantial evidence that he's actually gay. Not that it matters to many people (unfortunately for him - lots of the people who it would matter to are his fanbase).

Wasn't he "Romantically linked" to Sue Barker ( tennis player) at one time?
Elton John married a very nice lady once ;)

I'd hardly take a brief fling as evidence of his heterosexuality.

I'd hardly take a brief fling as evidence of his heterosexuality.
Oh I agree, and apparently quite a few gays take a partner of the opposite sex, either to hide behind the façade
or maybe because they are in denial of their true sexuality. (Initially)
Again, who knows for sure, the only thing that is certain, is, that he's made a hell of a lot of money, over the decades, with his singing.

You're not terribly familiar with the law, are you?
It means no such thing.

The law doesn't have 'but' in it. He wasn't quoting the law, but paraphrasing those who only pay lip service to the principle.

The law doesn't have 'but' in it. He wasn't quoting the law, but paraphrasing those who only pay lip service to the principle.

I'm sorry, but you can't stand as interpreter for other people's posts.

Re-reading thid thread I had to open my diary to cbeck the date.

First - Was it 1 April?

Second - No it was not 1716.....

FFS - have people so given up their intellect and parsed their education into an internet dustbin?

Worse still - was any of it there in the first place?

May as well put in for the pie franchise at Tyburn at this rate.

For the 'challenged'

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyburn

Sent from my SM-C105 using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

This...

The rumour is that one of the tabloids was going to do an expose on him (it would have been a scandal at the time) and that he 'found God' to clean up his image, but there's only circumstantial evidence that he's actually gay. Not that it matters to many people (unfortunately for him - lots of the people who it would matter to are his fanbase).

Fair enough, read your post as if you had absolute proof.

Speculation on his preferences have been around for 40 plus years.

His orientation in this respect is irrelevant though, the links between the BBC and the Police force in question in relation to the events that took place at his penthouse home are the issue.

I'm sorry, but you can't stand as interpreter for other people's posts.
Looks like I already did.

I was trying to be helpful as you'd clearly misunderstood. Don't lash out because you're embarrassed.

Looks like I already did.

I was trying to be helpful as you'd clearly misunderstood. Don't lash out because you're embarrassed.

There you go again
I'm in no way embarrassed.

I'm in no way embarrassed.
Therein lies the issue. There's more credit in admitting error than continually digging a hole, but I suspect confirmation bias is clouding your judgement on what Steep posted and how this conversation has developed.

I'll say no more on the matter. You've clearly made your mind up and I'll treat you with the respect that you seek to deny others :- and affirm that it's up to you what you post, even if I think it's wrong.

You assume wrong, at least in thinking that the palace don't care. The royals simply don't sue for libel or defamation but I'm sure they would if they could. Cliff Richard has done nothing wrong in the eyes of the law, I'm quite sure the 'establishment' didn't rally round him to quash evidence or scare off witnesses. As such he has the right to seek redress in the courts for the way he was treated by the BBC and in the press, the fact that he's got the money to actually do it is a bonus for him but it doesn't lessen his rights.

As per usual, too many self appointed judge and jury about here, too many people saying innocent until proven guilty but... A person is innocent full stop until they're proved otherwise.
I never assumed the palace didn't care. My actual assumption is that they know their prince is a sleaze bag like his friend Epstein and wanted it all to just blow over.

Can't stand the bloke and don't really care what his preferences are.
My sister was a big fan and played his songs full blast whenever my parents went out, just
can't listen to it these days

Can't stand the bloke and don't really care what his preferences are.
My sister was a big fan and played his songs full blast whenever my parents went out, just
can't listen to it these days
That counts as a valid reason to dislike CR!
Do you still talk to your sister or just play Black Sabbath albums when she visits?

That counts as a valid reason to dislike CR!
Do you still talk to your sister or just play Black Sabbath albums when she visits?

She died last year, thankfully they didn't play any of his music at the service.
l always thouht he was gay back then, but so what, it's his business why should it matter ?

Seems a lot of people's basis for assuming Sir Cliff's guilt is that he isn't being honest/open with his sexuality and has only been "romantically linked" with one woman in the whole time he's been in the public eye (circa 60 years).

Now granted that's unusual for someone that's been so famous for so long but let's go back to the start of his career in the late 50s, a time when it wasn't OK/cool to be gay. Now if he was struggling with his sexuality, the majority of his fanbase were/are women so adding the social stigma of being gay and the fact he could have alienated the majority of his fanbase (coming out as gay in the 60s he may have been seen as a "wrong'un) it wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest he may have just hidden his true sexuality and played out life as a straight "bachelor" which was an entirely acceptable way to behave in the 60s/70s etc.

Let's face it, George Michael kept his true sexuality hidden/ambiguous for years, most probably for similar reasons (OK, his "indiscretions" have been public but there's been no links to more serious offences)

She died last year, thankfully they didn't play any of his music at the service.
l always thouht he was gay back then, but so what, it's his business why should it matter ?
I lost one of my sisters some years back and, though we were not close, it left a gap in my life. She was a big Black Sabbath fan and had arranged her funeral herself. The coffin departed the 'chapel' at the crematorium to the song 'Paranoid'. My parents never 'got it'. So no CR there either.

Spot on comment re his being gay - we are long past the point that being 'gay' is seen an issue and certainly it was a forward step when the law was changed to stop what happened to Oscar Wilde happening again.

OOO Pictures of food that look like a brain....

Pie fillings NOT - well unless you are a southerner ;)
I have lived in too many places to be a true 'southerner' ,unless you count Munich as bein south enough? Does a 6 month stint living in Pudsey in 1995 give me some 'Mortherner' cachet too? Dietary tastes aside, I think the Chinese approach to food has credibility - if it moves - eat it [emoji15] . Though I would struggle with a motorbike.

Isn't there a lot of history around Cliff and the BBC with him having been unable to get them to put his records on playlists? Sounds like something went wrong between them a long time ago and there were possibly people in the BBC delighted to have a chance to get at him when this all happened. Good luck to him I say.

This...

The rumour is that one of the tabloids was going to do an expose on him (it would have been a scandal at the time) and that he 'found God' to clean up his image,.

Nope - he's always been fairly forward about his Christianity, used to visit church meetings as a speaker, especially to youth groups

'always'?

Well, as a youth (so 40 years ago) I can remember him doing christian rock festivals, youth meetings etc and pretty much on message similar to the Alpha groups of today. Speaking openly about his faith, what it meant to him. He turned to the church after his father dies (60's?)

Last edited:
Well, as a youth (so 40 years ago) I can remember him doing christian rock festivals, youth meetings etc and pretty much on message similar to the Alpha groups of today. Speaking openly about his faith, what it meant to him.
Well that'd fit with the timeline of the 'rumour' :)

National Treasure

I think that he does need to retire fully - I'm of the age when I remember when he started - when I see him on TV now, like many of the "golden oldies" he makes me want to cringe

He wasn't a 'young' man when I played, aged 19, at the same festival as him. OTOH it's hard to give up being a gigging musician - unlike any other job in the world - and he'll never look as geriatrically out of place as Keef.

Back