Clootie Well (Celtic healing pilgrimage site)

Edit My Images
No
Went to this place today and thought I would share a few photos. Basically, in ye olde times people would come to these places and leave a cloth or rag which would represent someone's sickness (old Scots word for cloth is cloot - hence Clootie) in the hopes that when the rag rotted their sickness would disappear with it -very spiritual. :wacky:

Anyway, here are the pics:
zlv8y.jpg

10p38d5.jpg

2a4wt3s.jpg

I must say, this bear looked really new and I was tempted to take it. :naughty:
11adh8i.jpg

I'm pretty sure this was a cast from someone's broken leg. It certainly ties in with the shoe being there...I thought at first it was one of those rollup mat things you sleep in a tent with. :bonk:
b7z0w2.jpg

Not looking for any real critique on these but go ahead if you feel like it. Perhaps this should have been posted in fluffy kittens and cotton wool?

And yeah, I left my own rag. (y)

This is a very interesting set, a ritual I haven't heard of!! Strange :D

Gary.

Thats seriously weird amazing sight and reminds me of the baby/childrens shoe trees I saw in Brussels. I never did find the reasoning behind them. never heard of clootie wells before.

Going by the number of rags that haven't rotted, it looks like there are still a lot of sick people lol.....

Nice spooky set .This place was written about in a book by Ian Rankin the Scotish crimefiction guy.The Naming Of The Dead.(y)

Odd to you perhaps! We have a lot of them here in rural Ireland, along with Fairy Trees.
A bush that gets decorated in a similar manner
All very new age traveller!

Back