Clothing company want images

L

lauren_t

I got an email last night from a clothing company and they want six of my images for t shirts and polo shirts.
I didn't sign a release for any these gigs and the magazine I shot them for are ok with me using the images for this.
But er...basically I have no idea what to ask next and any advice would be very much appreciated as I feel very much in the dark!!

Thank you!

I have no idea about what you should do next but I just wanted to give you a big Woohoo!!!

That's great that your shots are wanted for printing. I can't imagine how good I would feel if it happened to me. As you might guess I'm a beginner. Anyway Congrats.

You need to ask things like, how many items will be made using your image or how many years is the license for? I did a quick price up on getty for what i thought was the nearest category, retail and fashion, up to 10,000 items for a 5 year license they priced as £275.
You need to find out what they need exactly, what their intention is and then you need to price it up to what you feel is an acceptable fee for your work.

You need to ask things like, how many items will be made using your image or how many years is the license for? I did a quick price up on getty for what i thought was the nearest category, retail and fashion, up to 10,000 items for a 5 year license they priced as £275.
You need to find out what they need exactly, what their intention is and then you need to price it up to what you feel is an acceptable fee for your work.

ahh brilliant thank you.
So is that £275 for all 6 images? and if someone could move this to the business section that would be great, thanks!

ahh brilliant thank you.
So is that £275 for all 6 images? and if someone could move this to the business section that would be great, thanks!

I just went on getty.com and priced up an image i found, so it was for one image. I think you might need to consider how much the person asking may be willing to pay, as asking a fly by night solo entrepreneur for £275 per image may be a bit over optimistic, but a large organization may pay more. Have a look at my thread HERE which may give an idea of how to go about things based upon my experiences, although it was not for t-shirt printing.

I emailed and asked how many / how long, and they came back to me and said it would be 100 t shirts per image but they didn't know for how long as its going to be limited edition stock so once its gone its gone.

£150 per picture since they're a small company? I seriously don't know. I did a photography ND last year and they didn't even touch on the business side of things. Funny how stuff like this comes up during the holidays!! I'm doing a HND so hopefully they will shed more light on this.

Thanks for your help so far though!

Whatever you do, be very specific in the terms of the sale.. specify that each image is for a worldwide limited edition of 100 t-shirts only (that way they have to come back if they decide to sell more).

Is it a big company? What do they sell the shirts for? Personally, I'd be happy at £100 per image (that's £1 per t-shirt), so I'd probably offer them at £150 each and be prepared for a negotiation (but I wouldn't offer to negotiate or suggest there's any flexibility on price unless they pushed for it). If they wanted Getty prices they wouldn't be fishing around on Flickr. And £600 gets you some nice gear even after allowing for tax.

The important thing is that you're happy with what you get, and that you are very clear in specifying the limits of the license you are granting.

I believe they're just starting out. They don't even have a website yet and they'll just be selling band t shirts to the public? and yes i'll be very specific and have it down in writing.

One of the images is of Pete Doherty and I got an award for that photo so does that entitle me to a bit more? I've been talking to a photographer friend and he seems to think that a£950 flat fee + a small commission seems reasonable, but I will contact them and see what happens.

I believe they're just starting out. They don't even have a website yet and they'll just be selling band t shirts to the public? and yes i'll be very specific and have it down in writing.

Payment up-front.

The thing I wonder is if you said £x for 100 shirts, how would you know if they had sold 100 shirts or 10000? In this instance I personally think it might be better to set the licence to a length of time as well as just the number of items printed. Just my thoughts though. Although I agree with what Alastair has said, offer them for £150 each, be prepared to negotiate and get payment up front before handing the images over. You can find image license templates on the internet to make one up yourself and include your own terms in. Anyway, good luck with the negotiations.

Back