Cloud coverage app

Name
MG
Edit My Images
No
Hello,

I'm planning my first night shoot for some astro photography.

However, i'm struggling to find any sort of iOS app to give me cloud coverage. I've tried at least 3 (all free apps) so far and all seem to give me rainfall maps, not cloud coverage.

Anyone recommend an app that gives cloud coverage, not rainfall.

Nope, well not that i can see.

That was the first one i got, but when i go to the map, then layers all i have is Rainfall and Surface Pressure

That's annoying. I havnt used the met office app for a while and was damn sure they had a cloud cover section. I've just checked and the app is completely different now. They've obviously updated it and removed cloud cover.

clearoutside is the one you want

I find this website helpful - http://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual - but this only shows the last 2 hours to now. Day and night possible.

YR Weather is also quite good (available on your desk top and phone / tablet).

Simon.

Cheers the clearoutside app looks good. Bookmarked the other sites as a backup.

@justinminns Do you know what amount of cloud is acceptable for shooting stars? For example tonight it says 20 for total cloud in the app. What's an acceptable range i.e. <10 etc

@justinminns Do you know what amount of cloud is acceptable for shooting stars? For example tonight it says 20 for total cloud in the app. What's an acceptable range i.e. <10 etc

I'm not sure tbh but the site colour codes things so if it's green you should be ok... if it's accurate that is!

The met office cannot predict the weather that we'll, I don't think an app developer would be better.

The met office cannot predict the weather that we'll, I don't think an app developer would be better.

Pretty sure the app developer doesn't have anything to do with the actual forecasts, I think all these apps use data from the met or similar organisations

Cheers i've grabbed this from earlier recommendation.

Do you happen to know a good rule of thumb with regards to the total cloud cover in the app i.e what's a good number that's acceptable.
I don't. I've only ever used it for landscape stuff. Sunset and sunrises

Back