Cloudy Negs - what caused it?

Edit My Images
Yes
I developed my 2nd film today and I though It turned out quite well but when I began scanning them, I noted that the bottom of almost all the frames have turned out foggy. The film was Rollie Retro 400S shot in a Holga and it was developed using R09 with an Ilford stopbath and fixer.

holgaretro400s4.jpg

Any ideas what the problem was?

Possibly a light leak in the camera, I had that on my hassy and got new seals fitted.

:agree: with Ali. Mind you, is that not one of the charms of the Holga cameras?

I don't think it is the camera, I've put quite a few rolls though it and I've never had any light leaks. That said, I haven't developed any films in a while and I don't tape it up anymore so that could be it, I'll have to develop another one to find out.

Edit: Could it possibly be that light got into the developing tank?

If the pattern of fog is similar in each frame, blame the camera, if not then look elsewhere. Old chemicals, even lack of agitation (or too much!)

Arthur

C'mon you lot, it can't be light, the fogging wouldn't be dark....:cool:

I'm gonna go with......fixer, not enough fixer in the tank, only getting contact with the whole of the film during agitation, when its stood it only covers 3/4 of the film.....

:shrug:

The fogging is different in each frame, some have quite a bit and some have none at all. I agitated constantly for the first minute and then 3 times at the start of every minute.

The chemicals are also new as I've just started home dev. The film was new too, got it at the same time as the chemicals.

Ok, I was sure I made up just over 500ml but I'm probably going to develop another one tomorrow so I'll make sure I have exactly the right amount chemicals.

Any other ideas?

You can re-fix, if it was fixer the negs should clear up.
Could have been a short measure of developer too..

Lets hope it is the fixer then! Do I just try and load the cut negs back into the spiral and then agitate for 1 minute and then twice ever minute for 2 minutes (3 in total)?

nah, just sling em all in a bowl with some working fixer for 5 mins, see if anything happens..

Lets hope it is the fixer then! Do I just try and load the cut negs back into the spiral and then agitate for 1 minute and then twice ever minute for 2 minutes (3 in total)?

put some fixer in a dish and dunk a cut strip in for a minute or so. If it solves the problem, then you know where the fault lies, if not, don't bother to do the rest, because the fault is somewhere else.

Oh good, I like this live forum stuff! Post updates as you're doing it! :p

I ran my fixer for too long once, it was almost exhausted I think.
This is a scan.......ugh

169hlp5.jpg

This is what the negs looked like, milky white un-fixed film emulsion swirling across the neg, its black and foggy on a scan..

67r5ll.jpg

Looks like you were right Joxby, thanks!

I just re-fixed them and I *think* they look much better now, although its quite hard to tell with the light in my flat.

Their hanging up in the bathroom now drying so hopefully in an hour or so I can give one a quick scan to see whats what.

Just a quick question (or 4);

What dilution did you use the fix at? Should be 1+4 for Ilford fixer for film

Was the fixer fresh?

How long did you fix for?

Did you agitate during fixing?

Good way to test is to pour some of the fixer you are using into a bowl and dunk the film leader that you cut off (presuming this 35mm) into it, wigle it about a bit and time how long it takes to clear. Your fixing time should be twice the time it takes to clear. If it takes longer than 3 minutes to clear the leader intitially then the fixer is either exhausted or too weak!

I always agitate my film when its being fixed for the same as you would for dev. I.E. give it a shake every minute or so.

C'mon you lot, it can't be light, the fogging wouldn't be dark....:cool:

first think I note I think it might be lack of movement in your developing stage you need to keep it moving and make sure you have the level high to cover all of the film what tank did you use? is it a single one or stacking one one?

Back