Clutter and Backgrounds

Name
Megan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

I'm still fairly new here but am after some advice already! :D

I recently did a shoot for a small family at thier home (they actually only wanted pictures of their 15month old baby boy, which was fine). The problem I had was, the living room was very small and I found that wherever I looked through the lens, all I could see behind him was "stuff". Although they had been very kind and tidied everything away, there wasn't enough space for me to get into a position where he wasn't infront of "something". Luckily, it was a nice day so we moved out into the garden for him to have a play around (he was much happier with this idea too!) and I managed to get some nice shots.

I'm doing another one next weekend and I'm terrified of coming across the same problem when I don't have the option of going outside. I really did feel a sense of panic because I knew what I was taking wasn't good enough when we were inside, but I just felt helpless :(

It's probably worth pointing out that these are all free shoots for local families to help me get some practice, so they're not paying for the service!

Does anyone have any tips or advice on what to do in such a situation?

Many thanks all,

Megan

stick to outdoors if possible? alot of parents seem to prefer them - maybe in the kids bedroom with the focus on the child and the toys etc blurred? PP could also help you with that.

You have to take each situation as it comes. A simple plain background/piece of material you can clip up can be handy. Moving location is obviously good or go really shallow DOF and shoot close up if you shoot at f4 with someone far enough away from the BG it declutters for you...

Okay, thank you all. My next one is this weekend - basically, I'm just praying for good weather!

Back