Coal Tit

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
Yes
Dont know if this is the same bird, but I have been trying to get a shot of a Coal Tit at the same site for a number of weeks. Finally, at last I managed to get these shots of the active little thing which has previously evaded my attempts.

5496684746_88835bc29f_o.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

5496093721_1462a2f52b_o.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:
A couple of lovely shots. Isn't it a Coal Tit though Gordon?

Thanks CT and Martyn, I stand corrected and have amended accordingly.

Regards: Gordon

To be honest Gordon I looked at them originally and thought Marsh Tit rather than Willow Tit - then realised it had the white stripe down the back of the head which is typical of the Coal Tit and which I don't think either Willow Tits or Marsh Tits have - never seen that anyway.

Coal Tits are never easy shots anyway - I never turn my nose up at chances on those.

Last edited:
To be honest Gordon I looked at them originally and thought Marsh Tit rather than Willow Tit - then realised it had the white stripe down the back of the head which is typical of the Coal Tit and which I don't think either Willow Tits or Marsh Tits have - never seen that anyway.

Coal Tits are never easy shots anyway - I never turn my nose up at chances on those.

As well as the white stripe to the head, other things to look for:-

Coal Tits always look a bluey grey colour, as sort of steely blue, rather than the brown of the Marsh & Willow.

Coal Tits have the white edging to their greater coverts.

I must admit that it is easy to mistake them when they are in and out in the blink of an eye, splitting the Marsh and Willow is a tough one.

These guys dont stop still for long so well done on getting these good shots Gordon. Its nice to see the new buds on the branches too, a sign of better things to come (y)

Thank you all for the comments and input. Upon further reading can I now see the difference, but they are very close in appearance.

Regards to all: Gordon

Back