Coastal Birds ID Help

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Spent a nice afternoon last week on the Cornish coast, amazing array of birds were about. It was blowing a gale so I was happy to get a couple of decentish photos handholding a Tamron 150-600mm. I think the last shot is a redstart but can anyone help with an ID of the first two? It seemed to be a cross over point of birds leaving and others arriving for the summer, No 1 looks like a bit like a Whitethroat to me? Had some great views of a Wheatear but I had run out of battery...:(

Any guesses welcome!

Thanks

Tom.

Bird1 (1 of 1).jpg Bird2 (1 of 1).jpg Redstart (1 of 1).jpg

#2 looks like a female Stonecat, not sure on #1.

First a Dusky Warbler ? (im no expert on ID's so someone else will get it for sure)

Thanks all, I think I agree, definitely a Black Redstart and after looking it up a female stonechat (there were lots of males around). Not sure on the Dunnock, I get loads of these in my garden and they aren't as 'streamlined' as this chap - similar colouring though.

Tom.

Not sure on the Dunnock, I get loads of these in my garden and they aren't as 'streamlined' as this chap - similar colouring though.

It was the shape that stopped me saying Dunnock but the more I look the more I can't think of any alternative :)

Thanks all, I think I agree, definitely a Black Redstart and after looking it up a female stonechat (there were lots of males around). Not sure on the Dunnock, I get loads of these in my garden and they aren't as 'streamlined' as this chap - similar colouring though.

Tom.

I'm 99% sure it's a dunnock. Just a weird angle that's all.

I think the first one is a Dartford Warbler mate.

I went looking for some last week but to no avail. :(

He wishes haha. Dartford warbler has an orange/black beak for a start, his has a solid black.

I'm 99% sure it's a dunnock. Just a weird angle that's all.

You mean an 'artistic angle' surely!?

He wishes haha. Dartford warbler has an orange/black beak for a start, his has a solid black.

I would be very happy if it were a Dartford Warbler as I haven't seen one of those before, seems like the consensus is Dunnock though!

Tom.

On the balance of probability it seems a Dunnock but something doesn't feel quiiiiiiiite right about it - a bit grey, not much in the way of head markings and is the tail is just a touch round? Or maybe it's just a funny angle.

Overall a brilliant set of images but I love the second one in particular. The colours have a nice effect combined with the composition.

Back