Coastal Cornwall (pic added)

Ted

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a new found respect for seascapers. There is nothing simple about it. :shake:

Trying to co-ordinate tides and light is tricky enough and then once you get that right you have a constant battle keeping your lenses and filters clean in between waves which change the composition in a matter of minutes.

It does make it all the more rewarding if you manage to get a few decent shots. For my first proper crack at seascapes I was pretty happy with these....

Apologies in advance for all those who aren't into misty water

(4th pic added)
4)
20090803125929_bridgefinalsmall.jpg

1)
20090802192409_cornwallsmall.jpg

2)
20090802191903_ts%20small%20final.jpg

3)
3758837293_e240c738a9_o.jpg

Last edited:
i really like these types of shots .... No 2 is just sooooooooo good ! :)

3 stunning shots! Can't pick a winner all equally excellent!

i really like these types of shots .... No 2 is just sooooooooo good ! :)

Cheers Volusion. The light in #2 wasn't great (I was sopping wet from a downpour just a few minutes earlier) but I prefer it as an image to the 1st.

Both #1 and #2 are vertoramas (2 images in the first and 3 images in the second) so these small sized versions don't allow the detail to be seen.

Fantastic shots! Number 1 is my favourite.

3 stunning shots! Can't pick a winner all equally excellent!

Cheers Dark Star. Pleased they appeal

Hi Ted

Those are really good.
Like them all. √√√

Thanks Rockshifter. Vertorama's are a new concept for me so pretty happy they worked out.

Upmost respect to you. These are great. How many shots ended in the digital dustbin due to water on the lens etc.

Hmmm...... I lost count after a while. Sooo frustrating being all set up and ready to snap or being halfway through a long exposure when a large wave dumps itself all over you and your kit. So you have to wipe everything down and find a new composition cos the tide is now up to your ankles. This happened at least 5 times before I got the first shot. I was at the beach for 3 hours and only got 1 keeper!

Good stuff, and 1 + 3 are from my favourite photography location ever :)

Don't recognise where 2 is though?

#2 is Trebarwith Strand. Simply the best photographic location i've ever been to! It is mindblowingly good at low tide.

I loved the Nanvens as well. Found out after I left that Progo is the next beach round and has a natural rock arch. Didnt even know it was there :bonk:

Last edited:
Very very good. Like these a lot. Did you use any ND filters?

thanks man. Gear used for all three was:

Nikon D90
Sigma 10-20mm
B&W ND110 (10 stop) filter
Handheld Hitech 0.9 (3 stop) soft grad
Most exposures 40ish seconds

Oh wow, superb shots, at the ever so dangerous Trebarwith Strand, my dad was car park attendant there in the 80's. I wouldn't advise swimming unless you were an absolute pro when the rip tides and under current start to work as the tide comes in !
It's a fantastic little place and so are those shots.

Cracking shots

No1 my fav

Thanks Jack (y)

These are great. I like #2 the best. If #1 was my image id be tempted to add a gradient filter to darken the sky a little bit more. Good shots :)

Hey Dave. I was a bit gutted about the sky in the first to be honest. I've already had to paint that sky in from a -3 version of the original raw file as it was severly blown. Will have another go at holding it back at some stage as I agree its not as good as it could be. Looks better on black though (linky in sig)

Oh wow, superb shots, at the ever so dangerous Trebarwith Strand, my dad was car park attendant there in the 80's. I wouldn't advise swimming unless you were an absolute pro when the rip tides and under current start to work as the tide comes in !
It's a fantastic little place and so are those shots.

Your dad would be pleased to hear that I paid the 1.50 into the honesty box at the carpark :D

Were loads of surfers out but it did look rather brutal. No chance of me and my chicken legs getting amongst it!:help:

Numero uno! :D

love the mist!

Cheers Andy. I know the mist is often bashed on this forum but in my books the rich colours you get from using the 10 stopper far outway the cons of having artificial looking water.

Nicely done Ted - These are classy shots, 2 is a ''stonking'' shot!

Hey Neil, Thanks. I shot the 3 images at 10mm and wasn't sure if they would stitch together or not but didnt have any issues

A really good set but the second image is a bit special.

1 and 3 are deffo my favourites from an excellent set. Good stuff.

Gary.

Really beautiful stuff. Couldn't pick a winner from them.

very very good !

i like all of them a lot

A really good set but the second image is a bit special.

1 and 3 are deffo my favourites from an excellent set. Good stuff.

Gary.

Really beautiful stuff. Couldn't pick a winner from them.

Thanks guys. Interesting to read what shots people prefer. Have posted a fouth image in the orginal post. Taken at the same location as the 2nd with Gull rock on the horizon

#2 is the top one from a very good set.
Who needs sunny weather to get great shots !!

Cheers Rory(y) Pleased to see the #2 fan club grow as its my fave as well.

the weather was overcast and nasty for most of the trip (the sunset in #1 being the exception). It just meant that I had to find interest in a scene that didn't rely on the sky or good light......thus only getting a few keepers. Pleased i din't just put the camera away as I learnt loads in the process.

What a lovely set! This is the kind of thing I'm going to be aiming for during my trip to Whitby this coming weekend :D any tips?

Brilliant set. Like them all. (y)
Cheers Alan (y)

What a lovely set! This is the kind of thing I'm going to be aiming for during my trip to Whitby this coming weekend :D any tips?

Hmmm. Can't say i've ever been to Whitby but if I was about to go I would research like crazy and make sure I got to the best spots at the right time so that even if the weather isn't great you've got a great scene to work with. Landscaping is so much about having an interesting subject/outlook

I did a quick google and found this which might come in handy....a photographers guide to nearby Saltwick bay

http://knol.google.com/k/paul-corica/a-photographers-guide-to-saltwick-bay/1a77n6ckjomou/3#

Last edited:
:sad: I've been looking at Saltwick Bay already, but I don't think I'll be able to get down there with my scooter. I will have a damn good try though! Black Nab looks great for shots.

I am researching almost daily. Yesterday I was looking at waterfalls, but I don't know if I'll be able to do them, again because of my scooter. The rough terrain isn't the problem so much as those daft styles everywhere. Obviously I can't get my scooter over them! :LOL:

These are superb. 1 & 3 are my favourites for the colour and the detail in the rocks. We're down in cornwall for a whistle stop tour at the end of this month. If any of my shots are 1/5 as good as this I'll be over the moon.

not going to pick a fav because i think they all have something

a cracking set :clap:(y)

Some very nice shots. As others have said, the light in #2 is lovely. I also really like #1 as it's something a bit different from the usual smooth rocks that you encounter on the coast. (y)

I've been looking at Saltwick Bay already, but I don't think I'll be able to get down there with my scooter.

Jo, you'd be better off with Robin Hood's Bay IMHO... there is a slipway that runs down to the beach, and presuming the scooter can handle sand then you can just scoot along until you find a suitable spot. There's some nice seaweed covered rocks there. (y)

Back