Coastal locations

Name
Adam Partridge
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone

Im hoping someone might be able to give me some help.

I have found my self being drawn more towards seascape photography and costal photography in general. The problem is that I live in Leicestershire so am pretty far away from the coast!!

The seascapes I have done so far have been on the north Norfolk coast, but I am planning to spend some weekends away by the coast this year with photography in mind.

I was wondering if those more experienced costal photographers on here might have some recommendations of good costal locations in the uk to go to photograph?

Many thanks

Hi Adam. Assuming you want somewhere not too far away, then there are plenty of opportunities on the East Yorkshire coast such as Staithes, Runswick Bay, Whitby, Scarborough, Bempton Cliffs and anywhere along that coast.

I must say that North Norfolk is one of my favourite areas. I know it like the back of my hand as I have been visiting for nearly 50 years!

Thanks YB. I'll see what I can find out about those areas, where to stop etc. Seeing as you know north Norfolk do well any recommendations round there? So far I've been to Cromer, mundesely, happisburge, Hunstanton, blakeney. :)

Thanks again.

Hi Adam, the heritage coast Southerndown and Monkash are fantastic places for a coastal walk and photography. I went there last year with the loonies and had a great time (y) I appreciate its far from you but well worth a couple of days.

A few places to try in north Norfolk -

Brancaster Staithe. Unless things have changed you can park close to the Activity Centre and wander around the boats. Depending on the tide you'll have plenty of water or mudflats.

About a mile further west is Brancaster. The minor road to the golf club, club house takes you right down to the shore, but check the tide first. At times of high tide (perhaps only on spring tides) this minor road can become covered.

Just to the east of Brancaster Staithe is Burnham Deepdale there is a short section of the Peddars Way & North Norfolk Coastal Path from here which very quickly takes you on an embankment overlooking the marshes.

North Norfolk is excellent for huge skies and potentially great sunrises and sunsets. While you can get some good rises and sets now, later in the year will be better. At present the Lincolnshire coast is probably nearest to you for good sunrises.

Dave

My favourite place is Burnham Overy Staithe. Superb for boat/water/mudflat/sunset shots. Holkham beach has the widest skies imaginable. It is a private beach belonging to the Earl of Leicester, but although you will have to pay to park, foot access is free.

Wells-next-Sea is an old port with picturesque quayside and an old grain store converted into apartments. There is always something happening to point your camera at. Good street photography too with all the grockles about.

Sheringham offers good fishing boat shots around the shingle beach and slipway, and from there the North Norfolk steam railway runs to just outside Holt.

Really, I could go on. Almost anywhere along that coast from Hunstanton to Cromer is well worth exploring.

As far as accommodation is concerned, the world is your oyster. Depending on budget of course as that part of the world is not known as "Chelsea on Sea" for nothing.

Easiest thing is if you find somewhere you think you would like to stay, PM me and I'll be happy to advise. (y)

Last edited:
Morston is great for boats on the mud flats, big carpark there but plenty of walking out when the tide is out. On a good day you can see frampton/freiston shore nr Boston, lincs to the left of the wash.

Hi Adam. Assuming you want somewhere not too far away, then there are plenty of opportunities on the East Yorkshire coast such as Staithes, Runswick Bay, Whitby, Scarborough, Bempton Cliffs and anywhere along that coast.

Oi, thats my manor!!

If you need any advice on this bit of coast just shout up, I know the best locations along this coast and am happy to advise.

Thanks everyone for the advice this is going to be really useful in planning my time away. In terms of north Norfolk I have use of a static near Cromer, so it'll be about basing myself there for a few weekends and seeing where I get to.

I'm defiantly gonna go up to the Yorkshire coast as looking at a few images online I think it will offer me something super. I would really appreciate any pointers Mark about this area. Places to base my self and photography spots etc.

Many thanks all once again.

Oi, thats my manor!!

If you need any advice on this bit of coast just shout up, I know the best locations along this coast and am happy to advise.

If you do not mind , I would appreciate some good locations in your area .

Back