Cobra 700AF Flash

seems to work great now Gandhi with the tape in place. - Real Big thank you - and to everyone else along the way!!

Now the decisions - keep with the sticky tape, get a non-canon sync cable or sell the flash and put the money towards a sigma flash

Think I'll keep with the flash for the mo - use with the sticky tape, and save up for a different flash later in the year or early next.

YOU GUYS ARE BRILLIANT - THANKS :)

KIM how are you getting on with this flash now? Used it any more?

Having used a Minolta Dedicated Cobra Flashgun for many years with my Minolta (film) SLR, I naturally assumed a Canon dedicated Cobra 700AF unit would be just as good. Obviously I goofed. Sadly, I didn't get a User Manual with it when I bought it off e-bay, but I see 'Kate' has offered to provide a scanned copy at the end of the relevant thread. Please, is it possible to make contact with her to ask if she would be so kind as to provide one for me? I should very much appreciate it. How do I give her my e-mail address?

Blimey, that's a flashback.. I had one of these with the side mount hand-grip for my old Minolta Dynax 5000i.

Wonder what the trigger voltage is?

Sadly, I haven't yet received any indication of anyone actually having a User Manual for the Canon dedicated Cobra 700AF. The flash gun works perfectly on test, but when fired via the camera, it gives a very weak flash – probably about quarter power, whatever the camera programme is set on. I wish someone could help.

The weird thing is that after searching the internet for a Canon dedicated flash unit, there seems to be very little on offer, apart from some very pricey 'speedlight' units at £180 and above.

The Cobra 700AF slides into a special connecting bracket (looks exactly like my old Minolta connection system!) on top of the hand grip of a bracket arm which is screwed to the base of the camera. A cable connects the bracket to the hot shoe via a small box-like gizmo which appears to have two sensor windows, like the flash ubnit itself. I haven't a clue what the purpose is of these things. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I've got a Cobra 700AF flash, Canon dedicated and I've got the manual. If anyone wants a copy of it I'll scan it and email it. Just email me at chris.twofridges(at)gmail.com.

Took up Chuckurbaria's kind offer re the Canon dedicated Cobra 700AF's User Manual and received it from him today. Many thanks, Chris! It explained some things I was not aware of. Also tried blanking off the rear four pins of the hotshoe connecting module – which resulted in full flash (far too much!) so I'm currently experimenting with different settings. One workaround solution seems to be to set the flash unit to ISO 1000, and the camera to 100 and point the flash towards the ceiling, so giving the 'bounced' flash effect, which is quite nice. I'll look into setting the f-stop whilst maintaining shutter speeds from 1/60 to 1/1000 to see which works best, if at all. Will let you know!

..which appears to have two sensor windows, like the flash ubnit itself. I haven't a clue what the purpose is of these things. Can anyone shed any light on this?

They help the camera focus in low light by shining red lights onto the subject so the camera can lock on.

It's an awfully old thread but just an indicator of how useful old threads can be ......
I went to a Photography Club meet last night and it reminded me how important flash can be outside on occasion.

So I dug out my Cobra 700AF, got on the internet to check voltage etc, and ended up on this thread. The Cobra now works perfectly (and surprisingly) on my Canon 7D, so thanks for the helpful thread, even if some of you aren't here any more :)

Ive asked for a manual as well, so hopefully that will be forthcoming

i have one of the cobra 700AF flash units sat in it's box with manual, coloured filters and wide angle diffuser also another filter that looks bigger than the other 4
unfortunately it's a minolta / nikon dedicated flash unit and i use canon :(

It's an awfully old thread but just an indicator of how useful old threads can be ......
I went to a Photography Club meet last night and it reminded me how important flash can be outside on occasion.

So I dug out my Cobra 700AF, got on the internet to check voltage etc, and ended up on this thread. The Cobra now works perfectly (and surprisingly) on my Canon 7D, so thanks for the helpful thread, even if some of you aren't here any more :)

Ive asked for a manual as well, so hopefully that will be forthcoming
Send me a PM if you can't get it. I might still have it floating around somewhere... although I upgraded to a Speedlite a few years ago, can't bear to throw any of my old gear away!! :)

Back