Code replacements for Rugby World Cup

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys.

I have been looking around for the squad lists for the RWC but cannot see them anywhere. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

If there are not any yet available. perhaps togs who cover games can paste here the CR's they use for the matches for others to use.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe posts like this should be covered by a similar rule to the classifieds?
First post demanding information without contributing anything to the forum?
Not really cricket is it?
RWChas been promoted for months now. Plenty of time to get sorted out without waiting till the day the tournament starts.

Last edited:
It's not cricket. It's rugby

Don't think any of our guys can help you, I could be wrong.....it's happened once or twice before.

I'll ask a couple of the guys who I know who don't come on here and see if they can point you in the right direction.

Also, there's a few posts in here (Talk Sports) that help with Photomechanic CR codes. They're mainly for football but quite easy to adapt to rugby

You could well be right there. I don't recall seeing squad numbers per se. I've asked around but I'm assuming that most of the guys I've asked are on their way to respective games etc. @Tobers is your best bet to help with International Rugby as he has covered England games in the past

I have been looking around for the squad lists for the RWC but cannot see them anywhere. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

If there are not any yet available. perhaps togs who cover games can paste here the CR's they use for the matches for others to use.
The squads can easily be found on the official Rugby World Cup website. Start here. Select the team you're interested in, eg. England, then choose 'Squad'. Then it's a case of copy and paste.

This is how I'd do it on a Mac: select all the players (including images etc.), 'Copy', then 'Paste' into a plain text editor (I use the freebie TextWrangler), this will give you a list like this...

FORWARDS
PROPKieran Brookes
PROPDan Cole
HOOKERJamie George
BACK ROWJames Haskell
LOCKGeorge Kruis
LOCKJoe Launchbury
...etc.
Then it's a simple job to edit it into a code replacement document with details from the team sheet on the day.

As for sharing with others, why don't you ask on CameraBits' support forum, they have a special section for this type of thing. You may reach a more suitable audience there. However, there's nothing to stop you putting your CRs in this thread and see if others will join in the collaborative effort as you'd hope. Some effort from you would be good to kick things off.

Last edited:
Maybe posts like this should be covered by a similar rule to the classifieds?
First post demanding information without contributing anything to the forum?
Not very welcoming! :)

It's no different from the more normal "I've just got started, what <insert equipment type> should I buy?" etc.

Not very welcoming but the guy has been on here for 18 months without making a single post. His first post is a demand that other pros give him their info.

He doesn't seem to want to contribute to the forum, just take from it.

It wasn't a demand. It was a reasonable question. It's something we do in the Sports Forum

The "can anyone point me in the right direction" gives that away really. No way was it a demand

Correct me if I'm wrong but rugby players don't have squad numbers. The positions have numbers but different players may play there. So until the team list for a game is announced you can't have a generic code replacement list?

Correct answer.

BBC or Sky are probably the best source seeing as the team sheets aren't on the RWC Media portal.

Edit bit:

However, if all you want are the squad lists and stats, those are in the media briefing sheet made available yesterday.
Not a very helpful format for photographers though.

Last edited:
It wasn't a demand. It was a reasonable question. It's something we do in the Sports Forum
But he isn't in the sports forum. He isn't in any forum. 18 months is a long time to be a member and not contribute.
There is a massive thread about Classified access only being given to those who contribute. What has he contributed?

This is in the Sports forum. Not classifieds. It's nothing to do with classifieds. Why don't you leave the moderating to us, the moderators. If we'd have felt it was not right, we would have done something. We haven't so this should tell you that it's fine. A few of the sports pros (including me) have replied with helpful suggestions and no one has deemed it a "demand"

And just to emphasise what Kelly has said:

RWC has been promoted for months now. Plenty of time to get sorted out without waiting till the day the tournament starts.

The above comment shows complete ingorance and lack of experience regarding major competitions.

If you read my post above, you'll see that the media briefing pack was only released on the day before the tournament opened. About par for the course.
Likewise as Steven pointed out, there's very little point in drawing up squad lists because the opening line up and bench will change on a match by match basis, injuries and performance dependant.
It's not football, it's rugby, and there are differences in how things work.

This is in the Sports forum. Not classifieds. It's nothing to do with classifieds. Why don't you leave the moderating to us, the moderators. If we'd have felt it was not right, we would have done something. We haven't so this should tell you that it's fine. A few of the sports pros (including me) have replied with helpful suggestions and no one has deemed it a "demand"

I'm in total agreement.

I also think that it's worth considering the effect that helping the poster out will have. If we help him out with these code replacements, s/he is more likely to help out other forum members in the future when s/he has info/replacements etc. that they need. Refusing to help the poster will simply make this forum appear closed and unfriendly. I don't think that's a goal to strive for.

Further, before you chip in that we've got no guarantees that the poster will indeed contribute in the future, please can I refer you here: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=faith+in+humanity

Thank you for the positive replies and the help in pointing in the right direction. I have finally found out that the teams are released in the media zone a day or so before the match which can then be copied and pasted into a text editor. At the time of posting I did not realise that there were no squad numbers as in football, but thanks for pointing that out.

As a relative newcomer to sports photography I have viewed this forum with interest and picked up some valuable tips. I am not going to post or comment on things I am not sure or certain about. However, as time progresses and the more experience I have, I will be able to come on here and give some positive answers to help somebody out. So until then, I will be in the background watching but will chip in when I feel I can add something worthwhile.

Don't let one non sports poster put you off posting in here. We're a helpful bunch and the idea is if you aren't certain about something then ask.

Thank you for the positive replies and the help in pointing in the right direction. I have finally found out that the teams are released in the media zone a day or so before the match which can then be copied and pasted into a text editor. At the time of posting I did not realise that there were no squad numbers as in football, but thanks for pointing that out.

As a relative newcomer to sports photography I have viewed this forum with interest and picked up some valuable tips. I am not going to post or comment on things I am not sure or certain about. However, as time progresses and the more experience I have, I will be able to come on here and give some positive answers to help somebody out. So until then, I will be in the background watching but will chip in when I feel I can add something worthwhile.

I have built a nice little excel spreadsheet that I am finding useful for Rugby World cup code replacements using initially the squad names that are already known, and then the line ups that are published a day or two beforehand. If you would like a copy, send me a pm with your email addy

I have built a nice little excel spreadsheet that I am finding useful for Rugby World cup code replacements using initially the squad names that are already known, and then the line ups that are published a day or two beforehand. If you would like a copy, send me a pm with your email addy
SImilar thing Nigel. Grabbed the team line up from the official page then again a confirmaiton of the line up numbers onsite. The press team at MK have been spot on and came along and handed a sheet out prior to KO. Amongst other helpfulness.

Back