Coding for Apple/ Androind apps

Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone learnt coding for Apple or Android Apps from scratch without having an IT background.? If so , what help is available.Any books or websites suggested.

thanks

Last edited:
hi renu they are very different beasts to develop for. If you plan on developing natively you'll be learning two different coding languages. You can development environments such as xamarin to allow you to develop for both environments. If to want to develop for iphone you will need to own a mac

Thanks for the info.I own a mac.If I want to develop apps for mac, any guidance please?

Thanks for the info.I own a mac.If I want to develop apps for mac, any guidance please?

Sorry bud, not really going to be able to help. I did look into this myself about a year ago briefly but in the ended up giving up on the idea, due to learning curve and time constraints.

There seems to be a number of developers on this site, so hopefully someone can chime in and help.

I have made a couple of iOS apps, but I am already a programmer. If you have no programming experience you will find it extremely difficult.

There are systems like phonegap which let you build and compile basic apps using HTML and Javascript which may be a way in, as the learning curve would be a lot less steep (but you'll still need to put in a hell of a lot of work).

Last edited:
I am a professional programmer and I found the Android learning curve to be fairly steep initially. There is loads of stuff online and some fairly helpful forums so climbing the curve is not too bad but expect a struggle at first. The worst thing I find, especially with Android is that there is a vast range of phones, screen resolutions, and versions which you need to accommodate if you are serious about distributing an App widely.

For an absolute beginner with no IT background I would ensure that the 'basics' are in place regarding programming. At its basic level it is a way of thinking in a procedural manner, yet then you also need to be able to objectify it, and ultimately combine it together. The actual programming language I've always found secondary and a bit of a case of whatever is the best tool for the job.

Personally I also like to team up together with others. I'm not afraid to admit that on the logical and storage layers I'm quite good, but graphic design and user interface is quite a different skill set. Sure I can utilise framework standards, I can even define what I want, but the patience to create something good and stunning is quite different.

Opinions are very much divided on the route to go there, I would suggest to start with basic C command line stuff to gain a good grounding in the logic and not be spoiled by many ready made frameworks. However that means that for a while you won't get anywhere near a mobile phone application or tutorial or course. Yet when you do, you'll understand the concepts.

A possible other route is start with web based applications perhaps use a beginners book for Ruby on Rails of which most go into the basics, then when you apply responsive stylesheets (most will refer to Bootstrap etc) then those apps will work on all mobile devices. In addition there is a concept of Ruby in Motion which will allow you to package up those web apps into apps that can be distributed via the relative stores.

However, whilst the later might be more satisfactory in getting guick visible visually attractive results you'll hit a wall at some stage and have no option but to learn the lower level stuff.

As I said, opinions are divided about the routes, the choice is yours.

Thanks for all the information given.It looks like a long way to go, but I certainly want to give a try for few months.

I am using code academy and w3shools.I am finding these these sites very helpful.Starting html now

Back