Coffee anyone ?

Edit My Images
Yes
oh my !!! I get back from college ...

anywhoo ... to get back to film !

this is cheap poundland colour film, developed in coffee !

(( EDIT:> instructions here http://content.photojojo.com/tutorials/coffee-caffenol-film-developing/

or google Caffenol //END EDIT ))

set-72157622496450059

set-72157622496450059

cant get the link to work .. so have a look here ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/handmade-uk/4027434446/in/set-72157622496450059/

Last edited:
I'll try again ...

4027434446_2376d81d5b.jpg

yay !!!

Whoa, just coffee? Tell more about your technique! If there's something a bit interesting I can do with all this poundland film I've got lying around I'm dying to hear!

Last edited:
LOL Buy film, spend time taking shots, then develope in a crappy soup and get crap results and waste time/money scanning or getting crappy prints ........erm I don't get it, why not take an excellent shot develope correctly and keep for backup and produce weird results in Photoshop or whatever.

phylis3.jpg

LOL Buy film, spend time taking shots, then develope in a crappy soup and get crap results and waste time/money scanning or getting crappy prints ........erm I don't get it, why not take an excellent shot develope correctly and keep for backup and produce weird results in Photoshop or whatever.

Thanks for you nice comments ;)

some people dont get the whole F&C thing either ... and look what happened then :LOL:

I was just showing a technique, others do it better than me. I'ts just a test roll I went out and shot just for this experiment. I am all for experimenting with soup *** ... I dont like photoshop much.

the paper prints can be done in coffee too, with some pleasing effects

some people dont get the whole F&C thing either ... and look what happened then :LOL:

I was just showing a technique, others do it better than me. I'ts just a test roll I went out and shot just for this experiment. I am all for experimenting with soup *** ... I dont like photoshop much.

the paper prints can be done in coffee too, with some pleasing effects

Well it's all about enjoying what you are doing, but would just add you could use colour film (or B/W) and use special effect filters in front of your lens for unusual results or colours and you don't get your hands stained :)

e.g.
http://www.hoyafilter.com/products/hoya/index.html
http://www.cokin-online.co.uk/cokin-special-effects-filters.htm

I have a few filters in a big bag of stuff I bought from a jumble sale once . not got the urge to try them out yet. I did have a quick go with them on a digi, just to see what they did though.

I like getting wet ! besides, I can go out, walk the dog, click off a roll that may have been 2 for a pound, come home, make two cups of coffee, one for me, one for the film, and be looking at images in half an hour :) anything serious, can get the proper chemicals and printing, but this is just for fun

paper printing with coffee, if anyone is interested ... http://sites.google.com/site/tomovertonimages/caffenol

Well it's all about enjoying what you are doing, but would just add you could use colour film (or B/W) and use special effect filters in front of your lens for unusual results or colours and you don't get your hands stained :)

No! using filters on colour film is not the same, becuase you'll just be putting a filter over the lens the colours will still be there. If you use a filter on B&W you'll not get the effects at all you'll just be filtering the spectral quality of light (lightening the tones that are the same colour as the filter).

The reason for using caffenol is that it stains the gelatin and is a very low contrast developer, this helps contain highlights and as long as you factor in the speed reducing properties the developer is a very useful weapon in the photographers developer cabinet.

Here is my article on using coffee
http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/2007/09/developing-in-coffee.html

The results I get are unique and not all all like putting a filter over the lens.:bang:

Mark Antony

Last edited:
Careful, you'll be using Pyrocat next....well that's what everyone on the LF forum tells me to use ;)

No! using filters on colour film is not the same, becuase you'll just be putting a filter over the lens the colours will still be there.

HUH

The reason for using caffenol is that it stains the gelatin and is a very low contrast developer, this helps contain highlights and as long as you factor in the speed reducing properties the developer is a very useful weapon in the photographers developer cabinet.

Here is my article on using coffee
http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/2007/09/developing-in-coffee.html

The results I get are unique and not all all like putting a filter over the lens.:bang:

Mark Antony

...but you do add in conclusion:- "Nice tonal detail, good grain and sharpness and although I don't think it will replace Rodinal as my main 'brew'"

...and chemists for 150 years have been inventing the best brew for developing films and it's all for nothing as coffee and vitamin C is good enough cough ;)

Last edited:
HUH

...but you do add in conclusion:- "Nice tonal detail, good grain and sharpness and although I don't think it will replace Rodinal as my main 'brew'"

To your first HUH:

Colour film with a filter will still have colour RGB recording layers so you won't get an effect similar to using caffinol. (no too hard to understand)

And yes while it doesn't replace my main developer it does give very interesting effects.
Some people will use different developer combinations to give different results, coffee while giving unique and quite beautiful images won't nesessarily replace my main all purpose developer.
...and chemists for 150 years have been inventing the best brew for developing films and it's all for nothing as coffee and vitamin C is good enough cough
Edit: Not 'good enough' just different enought to make them viable for a small subset of creative images-I'm not suggesting they are used in lieu of standard developers just in addition.
It's also a nice way of learning chemistry, because coffee contains phenols just like some commercial developers. Rodinal for instance is very similar to Paracetamol-all knowledge is good;)
Regards
Mark

Last edited:
Excalibur, your arguement could be applied to almost everything:

Why do some people use Holgas or Dianas or LCAs when there are way better cameras out there? they should have a Hasselblad for MF or a Leica for a rangefinder or the best Nikon SLR, not something cheap because it's 'not the best way of doing it'.

Why do some people push/pull film? They should shoot the correct film speed for what they're doing in the first place!

Why do some people cross process stuff? They should dev in the right chemicals and then ruin their pictures in Photoshop!

Why did I spend 5 hours in the darkroom yesterday getting only 3 negatives to print as nicely as I could? I should have scanned them in and played with levels and curves, it's nowhere near as messy!

Some people just enjoy experimenting, and not everyone likes to sit in front of a computer all day editing photographs on a screen.

To your first HUH:

Colour film with a filter will still have colour RGB recording layers so you won't get an effect similar to using caffinol. (no too hard to understand)

And yes while it doesn't replace my main developer it does give very interesting effects.
Some people will use different developer combinations to give different results, coffee while giving unique and quite beautiful images won't nesessarily replace my main all purpose developer.
Regards
Mark

Your B/W results are very good, and why caffinol or similar was very useful for POW inmates in WW2, I still don't get why, with all the excellent brews on the shelves, why would anybody use it, other than just fun for a few weeks only.

As for filters for colour films, I would have thought using say a sepia filter would alter the colour layers of the film...but I'm not a film designer/chemist. And didn't Hollywood used to shoot in daytime, with some sort of blue filter, that gave the effect of night time on the screen.

Excalibur, your arguement could be applied to almost everything:

Why do some people use Holgas or Dianas or LCAs when there are way better cameras out there? they should have a Hasselblad for MF or a Leica for a rangefinder or the best Nikon SLR, not something cheap because it's 'not the best way of doing it'.

Why do some people push/pull film? They should shoot the correct film speed for what they're doing in the first place!

Why do some people cross process stuff? They should dev in the right chemicals and then ruin their pictures in Photoshop!

Why did I spend 5 hours in the darkroom yesterday getting only 3 negatives to print as nicely as I could? I should have scanned them in and played with levels and curves, it's nowhere near as messy!

Some people just enjoy experimenting, and not everyone likes to sit in front of a computer all day editing photographs on a screen.

Yes what you say is true and have already mentioned "As long as you are enjoying yourself"..........but I don't get it as I'm probably old fashioned.
But hey I've had fun as well, but at least I do have the original neg in excellent condition:-
goo.jpg

Your B/W results are very good, and why caffinol or similar was very useful for POW inmates in WW2, I still don't get why, with all the excellent brews on the shelves, why would anybody use it, other than just fun for a few weeks only.

As for filters for colour films, I would have thought using say a sepia filter would alter the colour layers of the film...but I'm not a film designer/chemist. And didn't Hollywood used to shoot in daytime, with some sort of blue filter, that gave the effect of night time on the screen.

First point:
Coffee as a developer stains the emulsion reduces contrast and gives very unique soft images. You could get similar staining effects with other developers like Pyro (possible contact with poison may put some off) but as most people can get hold of instant coffee and soda the barrier to try it out isn't as big.
I like the images I get from coffee, but not for every subject.

Second point:
Putting a filter in front of your lens will not physically allter the RGB recording layers in your film. If you put say a sepia filter on the lens and use colour film the colours will still be there just sepia looking (negs will look bluer).
Coffee as a developer doesn't quite work that way especially if you (as normal) use mono film but even in the case of colour film (as the colour couplers will not work) -you can't get an effect the same with filters.
Whatever they do/did in Holywood with filters isn't the same. Changing things chemically can't always be simulated by filters- certainly not in the case with coffee.
Films developed in coffee then printed on normal paper or scanned are not the same as colour films with a filter over the front :shrug:
Mark

Last edited:
Back