Cokin filters etc.

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Having been disappointed with quite a few of my shots from Hastings, I`ve been thinking about getting a few ND filters and a holder.

What would you say were the indespensible ones? I`m thinking of the grads obviously, just something to help to balance the exposures better. Which strengths would you go for?

I`m aware that some of this can be done in pp but I thought I`d ask!

I have three - 2, 4 and 8. I can then multiply using the holder (A series) depending on conditions... I didn't get Cokin ones which aren''t brilliant, but am saving for the kit which has them all. If you are limited, go for a 2 and 4 stop ones, as you can add them up.

They do help. I'm from the school that the least I need to do in post-process, the better. My flatmate (a photographer too) reckons that filters aren't necessary...

Hope this helps in some way.

Something like this on ebay. Item number: 200292621278
These are the ones I got recently.

Sorry dunno how to post a link.

Remember you'll need the appropriate adaptor ring for your lens.

You can usually buy them in a set of three which should be fine as has already been said. The only other filter that I use now that I use when shotting digital is with a polarizer. Still got my colour ones from B+W film days :)

The reason I thought of grads was due to high contrast between the foreground and the sky, I`m on the right lines, aren`t I?

Cheers for all the advice so far!

I got a Cokin ND grad set which should be available from most of the main retailers. Just make sure you get them wide enough for your lenses to avoid any vignetting from the filters or filter holder.

On of the lens I want to use them on is the 10-20, so I`ll either have to use a wide angle holder, or possibly go up a size I think.

Cheers for all of this info.

On of the lens I want to use them on is the 10-20, so I`ll either have to use a wide angle holder, or possibly go up a size I think.

Cheers for all of this info.

You'll probably get a bit of vignetting even with the Cokin wide angle holder.

With my 17-35 on my D700 (about 12-24 DX wise) I do get a little bit of vignetting at 17mm.

I found the wide-angle holder worked well on a Canon EF-S 10-22 and I didn't particularly notice any problems with vignetting.

Well, I`ve dipped into my wallet and ordered a set, ND2 ND4 and ND8 grads with a wide angle holder.

Something else to carry about! Cheers for all your assistance.(y)

Back