Cokin filters

Edit My Images
Yes
I am thinking of getting some ND and graduated ND filters. Will be for a 77mm thread so prices are quite high.

Thought it might be worth heading down the Cokin route, but I don't know much about them. I take it you buy the adaptor and then just slot the filters in?

What is the difference between the A system and the P system?

Thanks
Dave

Yes you have basically got the idea. You have one system that fits on to all your different lenses and uses any/all of your filters. To attach the system to a lens you use a special adaptor ring which needs to be the same thread as your lens, so if you have three lenses of different thread sizes you will need three adaptors, the beauty is that each adaptor is on a few £ comparred to the cost of many filters.

The difference between the A and P system is the size of the filters that you use in it. I can't remember without checking what the sizes actually are but I believe the A to be smaller than the P. I myself use the P system and my largest lens is 77mm thread size, this system works great with all my kit.

I have a few grad ND filters and a couple of ND's as well, this suits for the majority of my needs. Also be aware that you can use other brands of filters as long as they fit the system, most manufacturers offer filters specifically for Cokin systems, usually at a discounted price too.

SRB film hold a massive stock of different filters from different manufactures at very good prices. They do mail order and I have used them several times without any issues.

http://www.srbfilm.co.uk/

Hope that helps?

I would certainly recommend them - I've just started with Cokin with a Grad ND - brilliant.

regards

Ordered the holder from ebay. Now to get some filters from srbfilm.

What will be the most practical? For the grad ND what filter do you have stephano?

Grad grey light/soft/medium/full and NDx2/NDx4/NDx8?

Also for nice water effects will a full ND x4 be enough?

you'll find the grey grad in cokin far more versatile than a fixed round filter anyway. I never found the round ones to have the transition from clear to grey to be in the right place for the shot I wanted to take. With the cokin you can move it to suit, within limits.

Dave - I started with just the Grad Grey light (P120) but I shall be getting the P121, I think, for a bit more effect.

regards

Get yourself a set of three nuetral grads, 1,2 and a 3 stop.
Stacking the 1 & 2 makes 4 stops, so you will have a lot of options.

I have a set of soft grads by SRBfilm

Just about to post a thead as i was confused about the difference between A and P series. But found this. COOL

I have a canon 350D, with lenses 58mm with thread. As you guys where saying that teh P series is fine for your 77mm, would i be better off getting the A series?

would i be better off getting the A series?

In a word, no.

I don't know if it's changed but the difference in cost between the two used to be pretty small, so you might as well buy something that will go on just about any camera/lens you might use in the future,

Plus being that big bigger they are easier to handle if you're out shooting in the feezing cold and can't feel your fingers any more. They look better too. ;)

cheers for the tip:) will go for the P series then

Handy hint number 37294.6 A Zip disk case makes a perfect filter box for Cokin P size filters :)

Of course you need to have one lying about...

Could really do with getting some of these, so often the skies are to put it blunt "crap" (grey seems to be the standard colour round here for the sky), or just blown out.

Does anyone know how they work with a fuji like mine? am I right in thinking that I put the filter on my adapter that sticks out further than the bit of the lens that moves in and out of the Camera?

Does the filter holder just connect to like a lens or does it attach somewhere else like the tripod screw?

Me ... bit confused - Nothing new I know:thinking:

Allan

You need to buy the adaptor ring to suit the thread size on your lens, so for example the Sigma 10-20mm has a thread size of 77mm which means you need a 77mm adaptor ring a holder and your choice of filters.

To be honest I don't think the cokin system would be suitable for your camera unless you only ever look at the screen to frame your images, the filter holder would probably block the viewfinder.

Steep said:
To be honest I don't think the cokin system would be suitable for your camera unless you only ever look at the screen to frame your images, the filter holder would probably block the viewfinder.

Thanks for the info Steep I was mulling this one over, I think my viewfinder is a through the lens as it is a digital viewpicture the same as the screen so should be ok.

I keep thinking about getting one of these especially so the sky doesn't go overexposed - maybe I need to get to one of the TPF meets and try someones :)

Allan

If all you want is an ND filter or two and your cameras lens had a threaded end! why not just buy screw on ones?

It's basically the same as the 300d in that it's not perfect for IR but you can still get some stunning images from it. You need to be more careful of what lens you are using. For example the kit lens is not good for IR because of the coating on it, you get a hot spot in the middle of the image.

I've been playing with IR on my 20D. It does vary greatly from lens to lens. The kit lens is hopeless for IR and my Tamron 28-75 is not much better. I tried the 50mm 1.4 recently and that gave the best results so far. It was a dull day so didn't get anything useful but it has potential. The AF worked fine on the 50mm through the filter so that was a real bonus also.

My IR filter does not fit any of my current lenses but it works fine with a selection of bodges :)

Hmm says it gives a hot spot. Not in my experience but then I haven't tried it on a sunny day yet.

IR4.jpg

Apologies if this is wandering too far off topic.

Oh and don't tell DJW I posted something in mono :)

Lee filters are brilliant and they make lots of different holders, some with built-in hoods. Pricey, yes - but quality costs.

Just got myself a set today - walked in for a ND filter, came out with a Lee system. Whoops :|

milou said:
Just got myself a set today - walked in for a ND filter, came out with a Lee system. Whoops :|

What did you get in the Lee system if you dont mind me asking.

I want to get some filters but not sure which to get at the moment:shrug:

Well, the Cokins are grey grads and have this colour cast. I went to www.teamworkphoto.com - they do HiTech filters which are completely neutral and a good Cokin replacement (they fit the Cokin holders) and I've been happy with them although I had to hacksaw the front of the Cokin P filter holder to make it suitable for wide angle.

I think the cost of the Lee system escalates if you factor in the 105mm polariser. I went for:

Filter holder £43.45
Wide angle adaptor £28.90 (cheeky price)
ND grad set (soft - 0.3, 0.6, 0.9) £113.48

Total incl. VAT £218.99

These are big filters 100 x 150mm and extremely tough. The holder is quality too. Hopefully they'll last - I found the Cokins scratched very easily. The weakest link is the idiot using it all :|

I've had my Lee set for about 15 years and they're still minty (though I admit I don't use them now I use digital cameras). Very tough they are, way better than Cokins which get very scratched after a while...

Back