Cokin IR filter

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I use the Cokin IR filter with my Nikon FM2n and three Nikkor lenses,all have 52mm filter threads.
Is there any body out there with a better idea to compose the shot then fit the filter,i

I was thinking along the lines of a red swing filter on a enlarger but cant find anything.
Was going to trade for a rangefiner system but was offered pennys for my Nikon gear and as I have had from new decided to keep it

Anybody intrested in B&W infared plese have a chat

Last edited:
I just use a very firmly locked down heavy tripod, compose then screw the filter on, be it IR, 10-stopper or welding glass. Any easily removed/replaced solution I can think of seems prone to light leak problems tbh. I have to say, when it comes to IR shooting, I'm tempted to see if I can pick up a old canon digital body that's had the hot-filter removed, and go with that rather than messing about with film. No more filters and enforced long exposures, no more loading/unloading the camera in the changing bag. It's one area of shooting that I reckon that dijikal might just have the edge on :shrug:

Okay, Okay .... :coat:

When you have the gear it seems silly to give it away so will use it,but know what you mean about dslr,a nikon d50 is a great camera to use with a ir filter but everybody knows so not cheap second hand anymore

Well - my 450D works pretty well with an external IR filter, but unless the sun's cracking the flags, handholding is not really an option - but with the hot-mirror removed, you can pretty much shoot and meter as normal, but get a IR image... I'm gonna get drummed out of F&C for this, I can tell :LOL:

Well - my 450D works pretty well with an external IR filter, but unless the sun's cracking the flags, handholding is not really an option - but with the hot-mirror removed, you can pretty much shoot and meter as normal, but get a IR image... I'm gonna get drummed out of F&C for this, I can tell :LOL:

LOL,whats on the sheet of paper at the end of the day,think a lot of people have forgot that

I have a nice little IR-converted Olympus digital bridge camera - most excellent :D

Sure beats the hell out of 30 sec exposures !

I'd try to avoid Cokin style filters for IR as you will get reflections. I'm afraid the only real answer for clean IR photography, with current films is to do what TBY suggests and Tripod, compose, attach screw in filter, etc.

I use a Holga for most of my IR shooting. No loading and unloading in a changing bag as it's 120 film and no taking filter on and off as it can stay on. You could also try a cheap folder, if you can find the push-on filters and adapt one for an IR filter. Or another 120 range finder type camera.

Back